News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Reboot of Battlestar Galactica

Started by jimmy olsen, October 23, 2011, 12:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

What the hell? What is with all these remakes and reboots that are coming out while the corpse of the previous show is still warm? They should wait for at least 10 year, if not 20.

http://blastr.com/2011/10/bryan-singers-remake-of-e.php

QuoteBryan Singer's Excalibur remake is dead, paving way for more BSG

If you, like us, have been waiting with trepidation to see Bryan Singer's take on John Boorman's epic Arthurian movie Excalibur, you can stop waiting, because the planned remake is—to put it mildly—dead in the water.

Singer had announced about two years ago that he would tackle a remake of Excalibur (1981), a film that many fans still consider to be, to this day, the definitive King Arthur movie.

While Singer was attending the annual Sitges Film Festival, the director spoke to SFX about how the deal has fallen through:

"Yeah, unfortunately it is no longer going to happen," he says. "I was really enthused to do it. I'm a fan of John Boorman's movie and it was my intention to get it going after Jack The Giant Killer was completed. The project was with Warner Bros and what happened is that another King Arthur project was brought to them during that time. Basically, it was just more ready to go into production than ours was. That is why our version of Excalibur ended up being negated. But, when that happened, it allowed me to go straight into developing Battlestar Galactica - which I think will be really exciting."

While we're a bit bummed out we won't get to see a new version of Excalibur (though the film's an absolute favorite of ours, it would have been cool to see an updated version—if done right, of course—since it hasn't aged as well as we'd hoped), we're quite excited about the fact that Singer is moving ahead with his reboot of Battlestar Galactica.

Singer's version will have nothing to do with Ron D. Moore's recent successful take on the classic sci-fi series, but will rather be a re-imagining of Glen Larson's 1978 original series, with Larson on board as a producer.

So what do you guys think? Are you disappointed that Warner Bros. has shelved Singer's planned Excalibur remake? Are you thrilled that the director's still going ahead with his own take on Battlestar Galactica? Do you think Bryan Singer can come up with even cooler Cylons than the recent series? But, most importantly, will Starbuck be back to being A MAN?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Smart move, he can cash in on all the disappointed fans who didn't like the new series.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

chipwich

It's not like they can make a sequel, and a prequel already failed. They make new batman comic and cartoon reboots all the time.

grumbler

Certainly Excalibur didn't need to be remade.  Another King Arthur movie would be fine, but Excalibur itself was too quirky to offer any room for a remake.  Further, I think it has aged just fine.

I am just not sure the BSG story really offers a lot of scope for a remake.  The whole tragedy at the beginning was as well-done by the second series as it could be, and the chase elements get old pretty quickly.  Both series bogged down once they got past the initial reactions to the disaster.  Plus, the Cylons are too one-dimensional; if they are a host of Terminators, the show devolves into a series of deus ex machina escapes, and if they aren't, the show loses its tension.

Better to boot up The Mote in God's Eye for the first time, or do the first few stories n the Honor Harrington series (since there is no way the series could last into the drier late books, whether as movies or TV).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

sbr

Quote from: The Brain on October 23, 2011, 03:43:18 PM
You'll need a third sex for Starbuck.

Maybe a different species, how about a horse?

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

JacobL

Rush through the early stuff and actually get a proper arrival of the fleet at an earth with actual humans.  :moon:

Then we can see maybe what could have been seen before. :ph34r:

Martinus

Ed Anger

Quote from: grumbler on October 23, 2011, 03:38:55 PM
or do the first few stories n the Honor Harrington series (since there is no way the series could last into the drier late books, whether as movies or TV).

I'd like to jam a dead cat up David Weber's fat ass.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 23, 2011, 06:28:32 PM
or do the first few stories n the Honor Harrington series (since there is no way the series could last into the drier late books, whether as movies or TV).
Eww! :yuk:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Is that fetish undertaken to compete with DGuller's desire to taste the penis of a president?  I'd argue it is successful.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

The cat deserves better.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Just make a decent Horatio Hornblower series, with lasers.
PDH!

Neil

Certainly Excalibur didn't need to be remade.  Another King Arthur movie would be fine, but Excalibur itself was too quirky to offer any room for a remake.  Further, I think it has aged just fine.
Yeah, but you're capable of appreciating a movie that didn't spend eighty million on CGI.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.