News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Reboot of Battlestar Galactica

Started by jimmy olsen, October 23, 2011, 12:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I"m not really big on Sci-Fi gun wanks novels, er "Military science fiction".  The politics are inane.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: sbr on October 23, 2011, 03:55:56 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 23, 2011, 03:43:18 PM
You'll need a third sex for Starbuck.

Maybe a different species, how about a horse?

I googled "Starbuck the horse" and there was quite a lot of them. I shudder to think the results from googling more nerd friendly species like cats and dogs.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: grumbler on October 23, 2011, 09:06:09 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 23, 2011, 08:46:17 PM
His Safehold series (aka Off Armageddon Reef + sequels) was cliched and disappointing.
It is like all his series (and most series, for that matter); started off well, but lost steam and became self-indulgent.

I really liked the premise and enjoyed the first book, despite its flaws, but the second book put me of reading any more of it. I did manage to finish it at least.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

I would like to see E.E."Doc" Smith's Lensman series made into an expensive multi-season series  :cool:

Failing that I will back grumbler, The Mote in God's Eye would make a fine film in the right hands.

grumbler

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 24, 2011, 05:24:35 AM
I would like to see E.E."Doc" Smith's Lensman series made into an expensive multi-season series  :cool:
JMS is working on exactly that (though three movies, not TV).  Ron Howard to produce, no director announced yet (maybe Howard, but probably not).  The technology to make the flicks is still in development, though, the last I heard (this was maybe a year ago).  IMDB is carrying this title in their pro system only, indicating it is still in the idea stage.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

Straczynski is working on it? Excellent, they will need updating for modern times of course and that needs to be done well.

Incidentally, I'm watching (with my wife) Babylon 5 for the second time atm. We are currently at the start of the 3rd series, we are both agreed that the rewatch is, if anything, better than the initial viewing  :cool:

dps

Quote from: Siege on October 23, 2011, 09:11:06 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2011, 09:01:03 PM
I'll take that as a yes.

Fuck off!

Yeah, when people are pointing their fingers at you and laughing, you've got their attention.

Razgovory

Now that I look at the picture, it looks like it's some of Putin's thugs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 24, 2011, 06:43:02 AM
Incidentally, I'm watching (with my wife) Babylon 5 for the second time atm. We are currently at the start of the 3rd series, we are both agreed that the rewatch is, if anything, better than the initial viewing  :cool:
It is fun to catch all the little things JMS left out there that didn't catch your eye the first time.

My favorite is the scene when Delenn foes to see Kosh in Chrysalis.  She says she has doubts, and want's Kosh to show her that "it is true."  We see her reaction to Kosh unveiling himself, and then she thanks him and says her doubts have been satisfied.  The ep never says what "it" was that she wanted proven.

More than three years later, JMS has the character Dukhat talking to Delenn before the E-M War, and telling her "if you ever have ay doubts, look into the face of a Vorlon, and they will be eliminated."  JMS didn't ever brag about this little foreshadowing, and I didn't catch it until the third or fourth viewing... but that it the "it" is Dukhat's comment.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

BSG remake, meh.  I like the first 2 seasons of the last one just fine.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on October 24, 2011, 01:44:32 PM
BSG remake, meh.  I like the first 2 seasons of the last one just fine.
The whole "disaster and flee and escape by the skin of the teeth" works, indeed, for about two seasons.  And the second show did that about as well as it could be done (with maybe the best three-episode arc ever done for SF, Pegasus and the two Resurrection Ship eps), but that was it.  The show stopped being any good because no one could decide what the show was about, other than a disaster and escaping by the skin of the teeth.

I don't think there is enough story to make more than two seasons' worth of decent BSG.  You'd need complex and interesting characters to go any further than that, and I don't think the BSG universe is the kind to produce complex and interesting characters.

If the networks wanna throw away some money, have them give Josh Whedon a few bucks to continue Firefly.  Yeah, the movie sucked, but Whedon's writing is perfect for the TV episodes.  The actors are still mostly available.

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on October 24, 2011, 02:04:57 PM
The whole "disaster and flee and escape by the skin of the teeth" works, indeed, for about two seasons.  And the second show did that about as well as it could be done (with maybe the best three-episode arc ever done for SF, Pegasus and the two Resurrection Ship eps), but that was it.  The show stopped being any good because no one could decide what the show was about, other than a disaster and escaping by the skin of the teeth.
The producers admitted that they were asked by the network to change their writing style, to produce more self-contained episodes.  So the 3rd season essentially sucked, and they got better only toward the end.

Their mistake, was to allow that to happen.  They should have held their ground and cancelled the series instead of going down that way.  Imho, they never recovered from that mistake.

I disagree with you that the universe can't allow for a good show to be done.  Imho, it could have been done.  And I think the characters were just right for this, but they would obviously need a little more flesh on their bones.   Wich was doable.
ing characters.

If the networks wanna throw away some money, have them give Josh Whedon a few bucks to continue Firefly.  Yeah, the movie sucked, but Whedon's writing is perfect for the TV episodes.  The actors are still mostly available.
Most of the actors aren't, actually.  Nathan Fillion and Morena Baccarin are busy elsewhere.  So is Gina Torres.  Not many left to re-make the show.
But that was a good idea, and one we could agree on :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.