Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Why do we care?
Let the savages be savages.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Lettow77

By what measure are Indians savages? I don't buy it.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2011, 10:05:05 PM

Calling girls unwanted- at first it makes me a laugh a little
at the sheer fairy tail messedupness of it all. But...yeah.
Poor girls. At least they seem to be doing OK, one they
talk to is still in school at 15 and all that.

A couple of points:

1. There's enough fairy tail on this forum as it is.

2. In the west a guy can get named Hunter.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Lettow, I know you are an idiot, but even an idiot should know that China was the only reason Japanese civilization ever surpassed the Maoris.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Quote from: Queequeg on October 23, 2011, 02:02:44 AM
Lettow, I know you are an idiot, but even an idiot should know that China was the only reason Japanese civilization ever surpassed the Maoris.

As explained in this episode of Hetalia:
http://www.goodanime.net/hetalia-axis-powers-episode-16
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lettow77

Hetalia is terrible fujoshibait.

China is the greatest Asian country, and Japan is the greatest country in the far east.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Martinus

Actually, this reminds me of a relatively funny custom practised by early Poles (I think until 12th century or so) and possibly other people. When children were born they were given derogatory names, the equivalent of something like "Unwanted", "Ugly", "Creep" etc. as a way of diverting the attention of devils and evil spirits. Only when a kid reached 4 or 5, and was deemed "safe", he or she was given a proper, nice name like Gzgzgzgislaw or Brzizvivoj :)

Zanza

I wonder if market forces will eventually force a cultural change. When women get scarce, their value should grow and the custom of having to pay a big dowry should invert itself.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on October 23, 2011, 04:18:54 AM
Actually, this reminds me of a relatively funny custom practised by early Poles (I think until 12th century or so) and possibly other people. When children were born they were given derogatory names, the equivalent of something like "Unwanted", "Ugly", "Creep" etc. as a way of diverting the attention of devils and evil spirits. Only when a kid reached 4 or 5, and was deemed "safe", he or she was given a proper, nice name like Gzgzgzgislaw or Brzizvivoj :)

It actually made sense, consdiering the child mortality in those days. I read somewhere that emotional bonds to young children were very lose in the middle ages because of them dying so frequently.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 23, 2011, 03:06:55 AM

China is the greatest Asian country, and Japan is the greatest country in the far east.

That is why they call Japanese the "The Yankees of the East".  What you love in Japan, is what you confess to hate in your own country men.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Japanese culture is just another Western culture.  I'm neutral on it.  On the other hand, I'm quite bullish on Japan in general due to their construction of dreadnought battleships.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on October 23, 2011, 09:17:04 AM
Japanese culture is just another Western culture.  I'm neutral on it.  On the other hand, I'm quite bullish on Japan in general due to their construction of dreadnought battleships.

The Yamato was junk.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 23, 2011, 12:41:00 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 23, 2011, 09:17:04 AM
The Yamato was junk.
It suffered from the problems that all Japanese warships of WWII had:  Inadequate AA weapons.  At least it had decent armour.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on October 22, 2011, 05:26:48 PM
It's cute how he wants to be a westerner.
He's got quite few ticks from narrowminded left to do. :yes:

Solmyr

Quote from: DGuller on October 23, 2011, 01:28:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 22, 2011, 05:26:48 PM
It's cute how he wants to be a westerner.
He's got quite few ticks from narrowminded left to do. :yes:

Not to mention max his stability.