News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who actually is in for Star Wars?

Started by Berkut, October 20, 2011, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on February 27, 2012, 02:34:01 PM
I actually thought the light side was a lot worse - if you are playing Sith, you are supposed to be something of a cold blooded killer, right? And since us normal people are not Sith, it doesn't really have any connection.

Thats odd, on my Lightside side BH and my Lightside Jug all the options I choose were the lesser of two evils or helping people out.  Not sure what class as the cold blooded killer moral choices.  If you are refering to general quests of kill x number of y then you are missing my point.

QuoteBut how many sentient beings does your average Jedi butcher per hour played in this game? The answer to every problem pretty much involves wholesale slaughter that would have made the Totenkopf division proud. And these are supposed to be the good guys!

Again you are missing my point.  I am not talking about killing x number of y.  I am talking about the moral choices presented within the dialogue cut scenes.  Like the option on my operative which was to drug some guy who had information and then (Light side - leave him be and tell him he will recover from the drug in an hour) or (dark side - shoot his brains out in cold blood now that he has given the info).

All this is played out in voice acting and cut scenes which is a much more powerful visceral experience imo.

Syt

Yeah, playing my full dark side Sith warrior felt slightly disconnected, because I "gamed" the decision by picking dark side, whether I agree with it or not. It creates a slightly psychotic narrative, but one that doesn't feel much out of character for a Sith. The choices are often between "devious" and "psycho" which seems ok. I didn't really "get into" the char that way, however.

For Jedi - yeah, killing everything seems par for the course when it comes to enemy mobs, though you might be able to say it's proactive self defense. It's still a stretch, though. ;)

It makes more sense when playing a smuggler or trooper who're not so tied down by their moral codes. Even playing a bounty hunter allows for more moral ambiguity in a way that makes sense than playing a Sith does.

However, besides the occasional branch in a flashpoint, dark/light side choices don't seem to have very much bearing on the game, anyways, besides being able to use a bit of special gear.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Good points Syt.

The Operative is the one I find the most disturbing.  Ironically it is the story line that people think is the best.

Syt

Re: moral choices for Sith - a lot of Dark Side stories in the comics (especially Old Republic before the KotOR games came out - think Exar Kun et al) deals with fallen Jedi who later regret their turn and are struggling to turn back or are in anguish that they can't. I think the moral choices you have occasionally can reflect that when you are lenient/merciful instead of the psychokiller. It would be nice if you could turn full light during your class campaign (or full dark if playing Jedi).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

I was upset that I couldn't help the Evocii as my Bounty Hunter or Imperial Agent more than the basic few options.  I was looking forward to covertly backing them in their attempts to destroy Hutt property and aid their dreams of getting off planet in the ship or retaking Evocar/Hutta.  Oh well.  I find myself trying to upset the Sith's plans whenever possible and going Light Side even as a member of the Empire.  Too many of the Dark Side options just leave a bad taste in my mouth.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on February 27, 2012, 03:03:25 PM
It makes more sense when playing a smuggler or trooper who're not so tied down by their moral codes. Even playing a bounty hunter allows for more moral ambiguity in a way that makes sense than playing a Sith does.

Yeah, I have no problem with my Smuggler making DS choices, particularly when they're about money.

Of course, my Sith Inquisitor is a fucking anti-social sociopath.

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2012, 03:06:14 PM
Good points Syt.

The Operative is the one I find the most disturbing.  Ironically it is the story line that people think is the best.

Dark, edgy, extreme is what people like these days.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2012, 03:06:14 PM

Well, the class is Operative.  They should be disturbing.  They're not exactly above the board in what they do.

crazy canuck

Yeah, it just took me a few levels to realize it wasnt for me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 27, 2012, 03:13:46 PM
I find myself trying to upset the Sith's plans whenever possible and going Light Side even as a member of the Empire.  Too many of the Dark Side options just leave a bad taste in my mouth.

My Jedi twink is barely lvl 11, and I think he's almost Light Side 1.

It's easy to accomplish; you just sit there and think, gee, how would CareBearkut answer this?  And blammo: 400 Light Side points.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2012, 04:29:36 PM
Yeah, it just took me a few levels to realize it wasnt for me.

fhdz, is that you? :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2012, 04:39:08 PM
I dont get the reference.

fahidiz employs his moral compass when it comes to gaming.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 27, 2012, 04:45:35 PM
fahidiz employs his moral compass when it comes to gaming.
:ph34r:
Sidenote:  The forums are fucking awful.  Who doesn't break down the server forums by actual legit server instead of server type?  It's just one mass of confusing clutter.  Idiots.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

I tried the Trooper tank AC.  Got him to 21 so far and I am having a lot of fun with it.  Just got the healing companion but she doesnt seem to be very effective so I think I will stick with the first DPS guy for now.

BB and Seedy, look up Sulla. And remind me what I have to do to join the Languish channel.