News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who actually is in for Star Wars?

Started by Berkut, October 20, 2011, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

So far I am definitely very, very underwhelmed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Strix

SOOOOOooooooooooo...............

Is it time (or worth it) to perhaps form some sort of Languish guild in anticipation of the 12/20/11 start?

1) Determine a common server

2) Determine a faction (or factions if people wanna play the other side)

3) I have no idea about starting area/planets but maybe get some suggestions for that

I think the people on Languish who play MMO's have played enough that it would be of some value to try and semi-organize at the start. At the very least make it easier to find each other and group early on. If people want to play different factions than it would be fun to be able to arrange to meet in pvp areas?

Just some thoughts....
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

The graphics are pretty meh. It feels very WoW like graphically, and while that cartoony kind of thing works for WoW, I want my Star Wars a little more "real".

The game play is just, again...it's just WoW. There doesn't seem to be anything there that is different or new. I can't tell the difference between a Jedi and a Paladin.

All that leaves is the theme, and from what I can tell that is pretty damn good, but I don't know if it is enough to carry my interest.

Compared to Start Trek online, for example, STO is more engaging - it at least has some different things going on, flying a starship, the ground combat is different than WoW.

I know I have not given it nearly enough time to be at all definitive, but after a few hours of play, I turned it off, and haven't had much desire to turn it back on. Been there, done that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on November 13, 2011, 11:16:23 PM
The graphics are pretty meh. It feels very WoW like graphically, and while that cartoony kind of thing works for WoW, I want my Star Wars a little more "real".

The game play is just, again...it's just WoW. There doesn't seem to be anything there that is different or new. I can't tell the difference between a Jedi and a Paladin.

All that leaves is the theme, and from what I can tell that is pretty damn good, but I don't know if it is enough to carry my interest.

Compared to Start Trek online, for example, STO is more engaging - it at least has some different things going on, flying a starship, the ground combat is different than WoW.

I know I have not given it nearly enough time to be at all definitive, but after a few hours of play, I turned it off, and haven't had much desire to turn it back on. Been there, done that.

My thoughts...

TOR is very, very close to WoW.  Closer than STO is to be sure.  It seems closer even in things that I thought MMOs had evolved past.  Item durability - I mean really?

Compared to STO though it is much more, well, polished.  The animations are much sharper.  The graphics are a bit stylized (though less so than WoW), but all in all it looks a bit better than STO, which tried to be more realistic.

Not sure abut the tag line of a "story driven MMO".  I'm not clear how the TOR storyline is in any way better than defending Stormwind from the Defias, or any other WoW storyline.  What it is of course is voice-acted.  Which is nice, but I'm unconvinced it's a game changer.

Much like I figured before beta, I'll certainly buy this game.  It is well done for what it is.  Whether I'll play a couple of months and quit (like I did for quite a few MMOs), or whether I'll wind up playing on and off for years (like, well, WoW) very much remains up in the air.

Played my Jedi Knight up to level 9, and off the starting world.  Nice enough.  But I couldn't resist, and played both a Trooper and a Smuggler for the first few missions (which were my top contenders for rolling live).  You don't get an iconic light saber, but otherwise the quest options seem a whole lot more interesting and realistic.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Sounds pretty much like what I expected. I have to admit, thinking about it, I'm not sure I'm too hot on this, either, though when I first played WoW in 2005(?) I said I would love this gameplay meshed with Star Wars.

Last time I played WoW again was in 2008, and I didn't care much for it then. I still have my lifetime STO sub (which goes F2P in January), and I have my plate full with Skyrim now. Besides, ME3 is coming in March.

It's too bad that Age of Conan seems to be dying a slow, painful death - I really loved the setting and (occasionally crazy) classes, and it seems they seriously beefed up the content since release.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

I have obtained a key for the stress-test next weekend.

Grey Fox

I've played it a little Friday night & Saturday morning.

Saw the same old same old thing, decided to go up north to the Cabin instead.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 14, 2011, 08:05:54 AM
I've played it a little Friday night & Saturday morning.

Saw the same old same old thing, decided to go up north to the Cabin instead.

Going north to a cabin is always the right answer, no matter what the question is.   :cool:

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2011, 10:08:31 AM
Going north to a cabin is always the right answer, no matter what the question is.   :cool:

Even 'where should I go to work on my tan'?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2011, 10:21:48 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2011, 10:08:31 AM
Going north to a cabin is always the right answer, no matter what the question is.   :cool:

Even 'where should I go to work on my tan'?

Yes.   :cool:

katmai

yeah had the invite for weekend, but been working whole dam time ugh.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

JonasSalk

Quote from: katmai on November 15, 2011, 02:55:41 AM

I had school and work during my weekend. :(
Yuman

katmai

Quote from: JonasSalk on November 15, 2011, 02:56:41 AM
Quote from: katmai on November 15, 2011, 02:55:41 AM

I had school and work during my weekend. :(
Yeah i was busy shooting interviews and b roll
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

If it is any consolation, if you're planning on getting the game anyways all it will do is give you a taste, then make you sad realizing your toon has been deleted, and the 20GB installation on your desktop will no longer work. :(