News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who actually is in for Star Wars?

Started by Berkut, October 20, 2011, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I started the game, watched the intro movie, tried to watch the intro movie again with Jake, and it would not go anywhere. Now when I start it up it just sits on the loading screen forever.

Worst.
Beta.
Ever.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Apparently that means you are in server queue, just no indication of it.

Fun!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 11, 2011, 07:54:32 PM
Apparently that means you are in server queue, just no indication of it.

Fun!

Yeah, that means you are in a server q in a over-populated server, that you cannot get out of until you get through the q.

THat is some fine interface design right there.

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Yes, :lol:

I'm in, it only took 1h35mins of q time.

No idea which server it is tho.

Berkut

I was looking around the install to see if the default server was in a config file I could just erase, but no such luck.

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Of all the game that came after WoW, this is the most WoW like of all of them.

I made an Imperial Agent, named Artie on some Shadow Hand server.

Voice over quests dialogue is pretty cool.

Barrister

Running into this same long black screen that I guess means I'm in a queue.  Wow that's some idiocy right there.

I'm on the Shii'cho server (or something like that).  Man there are a lot of cinematics to get through.  They all look cool, but I think it verges on overboard.

But then again I haven't actually gotten to a single moment of game play yet.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

JonasSalk

They must have increased the amount of people allowed into this weekend's beta. For my beta weekend, I never had a problem getting in at various times.
Yuman

Syt

Are they running a stress test this weekend, maybe?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

And I just check my email and I also have a beta invite, though obviously not for this weekend, and my question about stress test is also answered. :lol:

QuoteYour account has been selected to participate in an upcoming Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Beta Weekend Test. If you have previously tested or are currently participating in an ongoing test, you will be invited again. Additional details for this upcoming test will be announced soon.

As part of this test, we will be partnering with games industry sites to distribute additional beta codes as necessary. This will help ensure we meet our population goals, so we can effectively stress test our servers in preparation for launch. Please do not acquire and redeem one of these codes as it could jeopardize your ability to participate in this test.

As a reminder, should you choose to participate, everything associated with this test (game information, process, forums communication, etc.) is confidential and may not be discussed outside of the Game Testing forum. Additionally, your participation in the Game Testing Program is subject to the Game Testing Agreement.

Though I'm not sure I will make use of it. I want to spend more time with Skyrim, and in the past, playing an MMO in beta soured me for the full release, because it meant having to go through the n00b areas again. :P

The news page has the details:

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20111111-0
QuoteWhen we started our Beta Testing Weekends, we told you that each weekend would include more testers than the last. We're excited to announce that later this month we will be conducting our largest Beta Testing Weekend yet, specifically designed to help us stress test our servers in preparation for the launch of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

How can you take part in this coming Beta Test Weekend? Well, for starters we are happy to announce that anyone who has signed up for our Game Testing Program prior to today, November 11th, will get invited! Invites will be sent in the coming weeks.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Strix

Well, my guild can't seem to down Rag, so we are getting a flux of people suddenly no longer interested in raiding because they are geared.

So, I will be definitely checking this game out. Once it is released, I just can't get the energy to do the Beta than Noob Areas over again.

What are people thinking as far as sides? factions?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Barrister

Quote from: Strix on November 12, 2011, 08:33:17 PM
Well, my guild can't seem to down Rag, so we are getting a flux of people suddenly no longer interested in raiding because they are geared.

So, I will be definitely checking this game out. Once it is released, I just can't get the energy to do the Beta than Noob Areas over again.

What are people thinking as far as sides? factions?

Personally, after playing Empire side just a bit I just don't care for it.  This isn't WoW with morally ambiguous factions.  I definitely want to go Republic.  That being said, I don't really want to play a force user either, so I'll go either smuggler or trooper, depending on how I'm feeling late December.

It's a fun game.  It is definitely a WoW copy - even on points I thought that MMOs had advanced beyond.  For example, having to sell vendor trash that you pick up.  However, the dialogue options - the thought that every once in a while, your choices actually make a difference in game play - is awfully nice.  And Star Wars is Star Wars.

Syt

I'm aiming at Sith Warrior for now - I like melee classes, and the Juggernaut specialization seems to be a classic tanking role which I enjoy. Marauder specialization looks like melee DPS which is also fun. The Bounty Hunter specializations also look interesting. Inquisitor and Operative look cool, but I'm not generally a great player at stealth/caster classes.

On republic side I'd probably go for Trooper or Smuggler. Jedi Knight seems pretty much the same as the Sith Warrior. The consular is at the bottom of my list.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on November 13, 2011, 02:07:38 AM
I'm aiming at Sith Warrior for now - I like melee classes, and the Juggernaut specialization seems to be a classic tanking role which I enjoy. Marauder specialization looks like melee DPS which is also fun. The Bounty Hunter specializations also look interesting. Inquisitor and Operative look cool, but I'm not generally a great player at stealth/caster classes.

On republic side I'd probably go for Trooper or Smuggler. Jedi Knight seems pretty much the same as the Sith Warrior. The consular is at the bottom of my list.

The Empire/Republic classes are ALL mirrors of each other.  The Jedi Knight is exactly the same as Sith Warrior.  Same with Agent / Smuggler, Bounty Hunter / Trooper and Inquisitor / Consular.