News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So just who is the 99%?

Started by Barrister, October 20, 2011, 02:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

About 22% of Canadians have a university education and another 17% have a college education. That hardly strikes me as particularly elitist.

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/products/highlight/Education/Page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo=PR&View=1b&Code=0&Table=2a&StartRec=1&Sort=2&B1=Distribution&B2=Both

Admiral Yi

What's the difference between college and university?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 22, 2011, 06:20:38 PM

2yr diploma vs 4 yr degree.

But the lines have been heavily blurred in recent years, with many colleges now offering 4 year degrees.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 22, 2011, 06:20:38 PM

This is what I learned 20+ years ago in the US, I have no idea whether it is still relevant anywhere in the world.

A College offers a degree in a specific field:  Business, Liberal Arts, etc.  A University is a collection of colleges; the University of Oregon consists of the following colleges (from wiki):

* 2.1.1 School of Architecture and Allied Arts
    * 2.1.2 College of Arts and Sciences
    * 2.1.3 Charles H. Lundquist College of Business
    * 2.1.4 College of Education
    * 2.1.5 Robert D. Clark Honors College
    * 2.1.6 School of Journalism and Communication
    * 2.1.7 School of Law
    * 2.1.8 School of Music and Dance

Maximus

That's how I understand it. Not sure if it's the same in Canada. They have the regional colleges which are similar in nature to out community colleges except much more centralized. That's the impression I get anyway.

Grallon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2011, 03:30:34 PM

If you back and look at each of my posts I have been careful say I am talking about Canada.  The situation here is much different.

The difference, such as it is, is merely one of degree.  And it's only a matter of time before we get where the US is.  But of course one can't hardly expect lucidity from a profiteer of the existing system.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on October 22, 2011, 07:21:16 PM

If you back and look at each of my posts I have been careful say I am talking about Canada.  The situation here is much different.

The difference, such as it is, is merely one of degree.  And it's only a matter of time before we get where the US is.  But of course one can't hardly expect lucidity from a profiteer of the existing system.

G.

You seem to be generally out of touch with reality; why should we listen to you now?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: merithyn on October 21, 2011, 10:27:30 PM
Ultimately, it seems to me that what CC is talking about is a very different thing than what is being seen here. And like Valmy, I kind of get the feeling that this is more of a "Hey, stop pulling the strings, you assholes!" kind of protest than a "I want more money!" kind of protest. But I'm willing to be proven incorrect.

If you go back and look at my post you'll see that I was very specifically saying that I had to remember that you were not talking about the US, and then proceeded to explain the difference from what I've seen and heard. I wasn't jumping on you, CC, only saying that it helps me to remember where you are talking about so as not to think you're an idiot. :) :hug:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

PDH

Quote from: sbr on October 22, 2011, 07:00:38 PM
This is what I learned 20+ years ago in the US, I have no idea whether it is still relevant anywhere in the world.

A College offers a degree in a specific field:  Business, Liberal Arts, etc.  A University is a collection of colleges; the University of Oregon consists of the following colleges (from wiki):

Basically that is the US system - the "universal" education.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

So to be terribly gauche as I am here at Languish, I found out today that my mother despises OWS as she has surpassed the WSJ's test line as to what constitutes the 99%.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on November 03, 2011, 08:31:27 PM
So to be terribly gauche as I am here at Languish, I found out today that my mother despises OWS as she has surpassed the WSJ's test line as to what constitutes the 99%.
So you're mom is part of the 1%? That makes you a future trust funder!    ;)

garbon

I think it means that I have a lot to live up to, considering that I'm in the same field. -_-

KRonn

Well then, we can expect great things from you! Hehe, so much pressure to achieve!