News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So just who is the 99%?

Started by Barrister, October 20, 2011, 02:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Crap. 98%. Also the thing called me Adolf Hitler.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on October 20, 2011, 03:23:48 PM
To seriously answer the question, Joan, Martinus and Peter probably are, but I doubt anyone else.  Maybe Malthus, but it's hard to have substantial net assets when you spend money like that.

Joan has proper economic views, though, so he's honorary.

Uhm no. There was a thread in the back room about it. I definitely do not make $500k per year (I wish I did).  :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 20, 2011, 04:39:25 PM

Are you going to be joining the protests now?  They could use a charismatic leader to lead them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on October 20, 2011, 04:42:48 PM
To seriously answer the question, Joan, Martinus and Peter probably are, but I doubt anyone else.  Maybe Malthus, but it's hard to have substantial net assets when you spend money like that.

Uhm no. There was a thread in the back room about it. I definitely do not make $500k per year (I wish I did).  :lol:

But is your income in the top 1% for Poland? :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2011, 04:43:32 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 20, 2011, 04:39:25 PM

Are you going to be joining the protests now?  They could use a charismatic leader to lead them.

Only if they shower and join my compound.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

Based on the WSJ thing you need an income of about $550,000 or assets worth $8.4 million to belong to the 1%.

Martinus

Incidentally, it's rather retarded that these figures are given per household and not per capita.  :lol:

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2011, 04:43:41 PM
Unclogging 20 British toilets in a year would put you in the top 1% in Poland.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2011, 04:43:41 PM

Well, let's see. Apparently, there are about 25 million production-age Poles (i.e. not counting retirees and children). The top 50,000 are considered top earners. To get into that group you need to earn 40% of what I earn.

:ph34r:

DGuller

:huh:  :hmm: Was that a "yes" or a "no"?

Martinus

Ideologue

Hey, I was only complimenting you using the metric you seem to be most fond of. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martim Silva

The bar seems to be set at an oddly low level.

Over here, if you main source of income is a *salary*, then you're not part of the 1%, period.

Capetan Mihali

I don't know much about the Occupy Wall Street group(s), but I see no reason why the 99% figure should be assumed to be about income rather than total wealth.   :huh:  Unless some spokesperson has said as much...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

Quote from: Martim Silva on October 20, 2011, 05:44:10 PM
The bar seems to be set at an oddly low level.

Over here, if you main source of income is a *salary*, then you're not part of the 1%, period.

Indeed. I hear welfare is great in Portugal.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.