News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How do you usually eat?

Started by Josquius, October 19, 2011, 04:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you eat the majority of your meals?

Knife and fork (Continental style)
14 (56%)
Knife and fork (American style)
6 (24%)
Just a fork
3 (12%)
Chopsticks
0 (0%)
Fork and spoon
0 (0%)
Spoon
0 (0%)
Through a straw
0 (0%)
With my hands
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Josquius

I was eating with some Americans a few days back and I was surprised to find they were surprised when I complained there were no knives- apparently in America its the done thing to just eat with a fork. Which to me just sounds....wrong.
So I wonder...how do folk here normally eat?
Of course, it varies from meal to meal to a degree, but the majority of your meals?

edit- just researched this myself. Continental style is apparently what is normal to me, knife and fork in different hands and eating with it like so, American style is just picking up the knife when you need it.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Depends on how you define meals. American style for cooked dinners, hands for the majority of the food I ingest.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I have on good authority that you can get drummed out of the RCMP by eating peas with a knife.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

At home?  A combination of chopsticks, fork, knife, and spoon, depending on what the wife cooks. 

dps

There's no option in the poll for just burying your face in the plate and slurping the food directly into your mouth.  :(

Seriously, knife and fork.  But, as Peter Wiggin noted, it depends on what you're eating.  No need for any utensils if you're having a burger and fries.  A full meal, you need all the traditional utensils.

Ideologue

I don't know what kind of Americans you met.  We use knives for items which require knives.  I don't use a knife much anymore, though, because most items which require knives are meat--but I certainly used a knife to eat steaks, grilled chicken, etc.  If you were using a knife to eat spaghetti, I guess that would draw weird looks.

Most of the food I eat is finger food, I guess.

P.S. the mindset that makes chopsticks acceptable is the mindset that has made every confrontation between Asian countries and the United States a ten-to-one casualty affair.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Uhm, it depends on the meal?  :huh:

I eat soup with a spoon, a steak with a fork and a knife, asparagus and chicken with my hands, cake with a fork, fish preferably with a spatula and a fork (or, if a spatula is not availanle, two forks) and sushi with chopsticks.  :huh:

Razgovory

Eating soup with fork takes a long time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Caliga

I like to eat rice with chopsticks.  White dudes are often impressed that I can do that. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on October 19, 2011, 06:02:19 AM
I like to eat rice with chopsticks.  White dudes are often impressed that I can do that. :cool:

Now Marty is going to struggle with learning how to eat with chop sticks.  He'll probably poke an eye out in the process.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2011, 06:22:41 AM
Now Marty is going to struggle with learning how to eat with chop sticks.  He'll probably poke an eye out in the process.

QuotePosted by: Martinus

I eat soup with a spoon, a steak with a fork and a knife, asparagus and chicken with my hands, cake with a fork, fish preferably with a spatula and a fork (or, if a spatula is not availanle, two forks) and sushi with chopsticks
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Slargos

Quote from: Caliga on October 19, 2011, 06:02:19 AM

Today was the first time I successfully gobbled up a whole chicken stew with rice using only the chopsticks. Pretty satisfied with myself.

As for the question, in which I presume he's wondering FOR THE MEALS WHERE YOU EXPECT TO USE A KNIFE AND FORK YOU FUCKING DUMBASSES I usually work with the knife throughout the meal. I only put the knife down if I'm feeling particularly lazy. It's simply not polite.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 19, 2011, 06:25:48 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2011, 06:22:41 AM

QuotePosted by: Martinus

I eat soup with a spoon, a steak with a fork and a knife, asparagus and chicken with my hands, cake with a fork, fish preferably with a spatula and a fork (or, if a spatula is not availanle, two forks) and sushi with chopsticks

He's lying.  He can't do anything competently.

Gups

If I'm eating someting which doesn't require a knife (e.g a stew), I don't use a knife and I use my right hand for the fork.

Thought everyone was the same.