Any of you watch the Republican debate from Las Vegas?

Started by Jacob, October 19, 2011, 12:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on October 19, 2011, 10:27:21 PM
He isn't a bad President though. Just...average. He won't do any real harm, but nor will he do any great good either.

At least he's not dead set on actively sabotaging the country like most of his challengers seem to be.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2011, 10:22:36 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 19, 2011, 09:55:16 PM

Replace the word "rich" with "black" and you've described Obama in the run up to the last election perfectly.

I have come to question the "capable" part.

Nah, he is a capable man, just not much of a President.

He isn't a bad President though. Just...average. He won't do any real harm, but nor will he do any great good either.
:yes: Unfortunately, he is a mediocre president at a time when we need a really great one.  Even more unfortunately, he's also a mediocre president at a time when that mediocrity is by far the best option we're going to have, evidently.

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2011, 10:22:36 PM

Replace the word "rich" with "black" and you've described Obama in the run up to the last election perfectly.

I have come to question the "capable" part.

Nah, he is a capable man, just not much of a President.

It's hard to judge I suppose.  I'm not sure if anyone could get legislation threw with Republicans dead set against everything.  At Cal's Senator said, "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."  What can you do with someone like that?  I suspect we are going to see something in the near future to put a halt on obstruction.  It's getting near critical mass, the point where government won't be able to function.  I think we still have a mess of treaties just lying around waiting to be ratified.

Obama's biggest problem is that he's naive.  Not with our enemies, but with his political opponents.  Obama is the type who genuinely thinks if we all sit down, talk things through we can find a solution that is acceptable to both parties.  The "Beer summit" is an example of this type of thinking.  There are Ayatollahs in Iran who are more likely to make concessions then the GOP.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2011, 10:38:19 PM
It's hard to judge I suppose.  I'm not sure if anyone could get legislation threw with Republicans dead set against everything.  At Cal's Senator said, "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."  What can you do with someone like that?  I suspect we are going to see something in the near future to put a halt on obstruction.  It's getting near critical mass, the point where government won't be able to function.  I think we still have a mess of treaties just lying around waiting to be ratified.

Obama's biggest problem is that he's naive.  Not with our enemies, but with his political opponents.  Obama is the type who genuinely thinks if we all sit down, talk things through we can find a solution that is acceptable to both parties.  The "Beer summit" is an example of this type of thinking.  There are Ayatollahs in Iran who are more likely to make concessions then the GOP.

It might be convenient to blame the Republicans, but it isn't like he really had his party by his side during the last 4 years. It also might be convenient to point out that the Democratic party is less cohesive than the Republican one but that really doesn't change the view from the ground.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habsburg

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 19, 2011, 09:51:40 PM
I'm undecided between voting Obama or writing in something. It'll likely be the latter.
I'd vote for Huntsman because he's sane, believes in science and evolution, and would be a good prsident. For all those reasons he will never get the nomination, sadly.

I would vote for Huntsman.  At the moment I'm thinking of throwing a vote to a third party if there is a quasi-quasi-reasonable alternative.

Razgovory

Romney's biggest strength in my eyes is that he's so disingenuous that he probably won't do anything he's saying he will do.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2011, 10:57:49 PM

It might be convenient to blame the Republicans, but it isn't like he really had his party by his side during the last 4 years. It also might be convenient to point out that the Democratic party is less cohesive than the Republican one but that really doesn't change the view from the ground.

It's nice when the most convenient answer is also the correct one. :)  Really, it's a problem more with the rules of the Senate.  They are going to have to change the filibuster rules eventually, and probably pretty soon.

alfred russel

Quote from: alfred russel on October 19, 2011, 07:27:12 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2011, 05:23:27 PM
Quote from: KRonn on October 19, 2011, 01:14:03 PM
I forgot to mention Ron Paul. I've never been much a fan of his, but he has some ideas that I like. Such as some of his fiscal ideas. It's good having him in there on those occasions where he kicks butt with common sense ideas,  but he can be a loose cannon sometimes, seem part libertarian and I think kind of part angry.
I like Ron Paul for bravely representing the 19th century.  The man's a mental, but there's a charm to that.  He reminds me of a Republican, right-wing Tony Benn figure.

I can't stand him, so I'm biased, but I'm surprised how little love there is for Romney.  The degree to which everyone seems to want another candidate is extraordinary.

Romney is a smart and capable rich guy who stands for nothing other than getting himself elected, and has spent the last 7 or so years dedicated to becoming president.

I don't think so. There is no way to say with certainty what Obama believes of course, but I think he does have political convictions that he wants to advance. And he may have had his eye on the presidency for 7 years, but he also kept substantial jobs were he could keep working on those issues in the meantime.

On the minus side for Obama, while he has demonstrated he is smart and capable in roles such as a lawyer, he has not done so as the executive in charge of a large organization.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2011, 11:17:27 PM
Romney's biggest strength in my eyes is that he's so disingenuous that he probably won't do anything he's saying he will do.

Think about that though. He is so transparently disingenuous that it is hard to even pretend that he stands for anything. Is that the kind of guy you want to be making tough decisions that come up?

Yes, I know that all politicians are like this to a degree.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on October 20, 2011, 02:22:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2011, 11:17:27 PM

Think about that though. He is so transparently disingenuous that it is hard to even pretend that he stands for anything. Is that the kind of guy you want to be making tough decisions that come up?

Yes, I know that all politicians are like this to a degree.

Yes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on October 20, 2011, 02:07:23 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 19, 2011, 07:27:12 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2011, 05:23:27 PM
Quote from: KRonn on October 19, 2011, 01:14:03 PM
I forgot to mention Ron Paul. I've never been much a fan of his, but he has some ideas that I like. Such as some of his fiscal ideas. It's good having him in there on those occasions where he kicks butt with common sense ideas,  but he can be a loose cannon sometimes, seem part libertarian and I think kind of part angry.
I like Ron Paul for bravely representing the 19th century.  The man's a mental, but there's a charm to that.  He reminds me of a Republican, right-wing Tony Benn figure.

I can't stand him, so I'm biased, but I'm surprised how little love there is for Romney.  The degree to which everyone seems to want another candidate is extraordinary.

Romney is a smart and capable rich guy who stands for nothing other than getting himself elected, and has spent the last 7 or so years dedicated to becoming president.

I don't think so. There is no way to say with certainty what Obama believes of course, but I think he does have political convictions that he wants to advance.

Really? What might those be? I cannot really tell, it's not like his platform was anything more than boilerplate Dem stuff. How is he different from Romney?

And he may have had his eye on the presidency for 7 years, but he also kept substantial jobs were he could keep working on those issues in the meantime.

What might those substantial jobs be? He was a US Senator, and his record was one of doing almost nothing but run for President. Prior to that he wrote a book and practiced law, but not in anything that appear to be a meaningful manner - his law career seems to be nothing more than a way to get ready to go into politics.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2011, 02:49:44 PM

Really? What might those be? I cannot really tell, it's not like his platform was anything more than boilerplate Dem stuff. How is he different from Romney?

He probably is basically a boilerplate dem. He has consistently worked on such an agenda and in such environments (a community organizer, civil rights lawyer) that it seems likely. I would be very suprised if he is a part of a future campaign against universal health care, or pro life initiatives, for example.

What might those substantial jobs be? He was a US Senator, and his record was one of doing almost nothing but run for President. Prior to that he wrote a book and practiced law, but not in anything that appear to be a meaningful manner - his law career seems to be nothing more than a way to get ready to go into politics.

The point is he had day jobs. He wasn't an unemployed super rich guy with a focus in life of being president for 7 years.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2011, 10:38:19 PM
There are Ayatollahs in Iran who are more likely to make concessions then the GOP.

Yes but they are all under house arrest.

Hey wait, there's an idea . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on October 20, 2011, 03:11:04 PM
The point is he had day jobs. He wasn't an unemployed super rich guy with a focus in life of being president for 7 years.

Unemployed?