Any of you watch the Republican debate from Las Vegas?

Started by Jacob, October 19, 2011, 12:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on October 19, 2011, 07:27:12 PM
Romney is a smart and capable rich guy who stands for nothing other than getting himself elected, and has spent the last 7 or so years dedicated to becoming president. On the one hand he is the only reasonable republican candidate, because the rest of the field are loons, but he is the most brazenly opportunistic candidate I can remember. This just can't end well.

True. Look what happened to Hillary. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2011, 07:08:58 PM
We can afford them here.

One of my co-workers who lives in Jersey suggested that I go to Outback when I said I wanted a steak.  When I looked at him blankly, he said that he was thinking on an economical basis. His boss, a Manhattanite, looked at him and we both said simultaneously, "We live in Manhattan; we're beyond saving money."  I felt vulgar but then so glad not be in Jersey. :blush: :swiss:

Outback steaks are awesome. Cheese fries, bloomin' onion and coconut shrimp too. :mmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 19, 2011, 07:30:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2011, 07:08:58 PM
We can afford them here.

One of my co-workers who lives in Jersey suggested that I go to Outback when I said I wanted a steak.  When I looked at him blankly, he said that he was thinking on an economical basis. His boss, a Manhattanite, looked at him and we both said simultaneously, "We live in Manhattan; we're beyond saving money."  I felt vulgar but then so glad not be in Jersey. :blush: :swiss:

Outback steaks are awesome. Cheese fries, bloomin' onion and coconut shrimp too. :mmm:

Oh his boss and I totally ordered cheese fries the other day for delivery at lunch. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on October 19, 2011, 09:09:48 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2011, 08:29:45 AM
I made the mistake of following the election in 2007 and I will not make the same mistake again.  No looking at election crap until it is a few weeks before I am voting on something.  Total waste of time.
:yes: It doesn't hurt that Republicans are in a full blown retard mode, which makes their debates easier to not bother with.

but so much more entertaining... I'm looking at this as pure entertainment.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on October 19, 2011, 07:52:15 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 19, 2011, 09:09:48 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2011, 08:29:45 AM
I made the mistake of following the election in 2007 and I will not make the same mistake again.  No looking at election crap until it is a few weeks before I am voting on something.  Total waste of time.
:yes: It doesn't hurt that Republicans are in a full blown retard mode, which makes their debates easier to not bother with.

but so much more entertaining... I'm looking at this as pure entertainment.

For you maybe.  You don't have to live with them.  It's like watching one of the weird reality shows about criminals or freaks and knowing that one of them may be your room mate next year.  I look at Factcheck.org's site which ussualy has a run down of the claims and their truthfulness.  I gather Herman Cain didn't really think through his 9-9-9 slogan.  He's like a professional corporate executive.  The type of person shareholders bring in for a quick turn around.  A person not concerned with product but with sales and marketing.  The type of person they replaced Steve Jobs with at Apple back in the 1980's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

I do have to live with them. I just can't do anything about it. So I realize my inability to affect it and sit back and take the only true gain I can out of the process.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Darth Wagtaros

:blush: I got you confused with Lucidor.
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 19, 2011, 06:39:44 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2011, 04:54:16 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 19, 2011, 03:46:05 PMActually, I doubt I'm going to vote republican this year. Or even vote at all.

I'll be interested in seeing how that holds up once the time comes (you know, if you tell us).
You people are all the same.
PDH!

HisMajestyBOB

I'm undecided between voting Obama or writing in something. It'll likely be the latter.
I'd vote for Huntsman because he's sane, believes in science and evolution, and would be a good prsident. For all those reasons he will never get the nomination, sadly.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Berkut

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2011, 05:23:27 PM
Quote from: KRonn on October 19, 2011, 01:14:03 PM
I forgot to mention Ron Paul. I've never been much a fan of his, but he has some ideas that I like. Such as some of his fiscal ideas. It's good having him in there on those occasions where he kicks butt with common sense ideas,  but he can be a loose cannon sometimes, seem part libertarian and I think kind of part angry.
I like Ron Paul for bravely representing the 19th century.  The man's a mental, but there's a charm to that.  He reminds me of a Republican, right-wing Tony Benn figure.

I can't stand him, so I'm biased, but I'm surprised how little love there is for Romney.  The degree to which everyone seems to want another candidate is extraordinary.

Romney is a smart and capable rich guy who stands for nothing other than getting himself elected, and has spent the last 7 or so years dedicated to becoming president.

Replace the word "rich" with "black" and you've described Obama in the run up to the last election perfectly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on October 19, 2011, 09:55:16 PM
Replace the word "rich" with "black" and you've described Obama in the run up to the last election perfectly.

Obama's net worth is over 10 million.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 19, 2011, 10:06:43 PM

Doesn't a good bit of that have to do with his books?

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 19, 2011, 10:06:43 PM

Perhaps, but he never ran on the basis of his wealth.

0 rows returned

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2011, 05:23:27 PM
Quote from: KRonn on October 19, 2011, 01:14:03 PM
I forgot to mention Ron Paul. I've never been much a fan of his, but he has some ideas that I like. Such as some of his fiscal ideas. It's good having him in there on those occasions where he kicks butt with common sense ideas,  but he can be a loose cannon sometimes, seem part libertarian and I think kind of part angry.
I like Ron Paul for bravely representing the 19th century.  The man's a mental, but there's a charm to that.  He reminds me of a Republican, right-wing Tony Benn figure.

I can't stand him, so I'm biased, but I'm surprised how little love there is for Romney.  The degree to which everyone seems to want another candidate is extraordinary.

Romney is a smart and capable rich guy who stands for nothing other than getting himself elected, and has spent the last 7 or so years dedicated to becoming president.

no real candidate runs on anything anymore, it seems (in anglo NA, anyway. don't follow any other elections). The one that do "stand" for something are nutters who want the gold standard back or some other hair brained scheme.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

I have come to question the "capable" part.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2011, 10:22:36 PM

I have come to question the "capable" part.

Nah, he is a capable man, just not much of a President.

He isn't a bad President though. Just...average. He won't do any real harm, but nor will he do any great good either.

0 rows returned