Any of you watch the Republican debate from Las Vegas?

Started by Jacob, October 19, 2011, 12:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2011, 05:23:27 PM
Quote from: KRonn on October 19, 2011, 01:14:03 PM
I forgot to mention Ron Paul. I've never been much a fan of his, but he has some ideas that I like. Such as some of his fiscal ideas. It's good having him in there on those occasions where he kicks butt with common sense ideas,  but he can be a loose cannon sometimes, seem part libertarian and I think kind of part angry.
I like Ron Paul for bravely representing the 19th century.  The man's a mental, but there's a charm to that.  He reminds me of a Republican, right-wing Tony Benn figure.

I can't stand him, so I'm biased, but I'm surprised how little love there is for Romney.  The degree to which everyone seems to want another candidate is extraordinary.

If you called up central casting and asked for someone who looks and sounds like a generic President for your film, you'd get someone like Romney.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2011, 05:27:37 PMIf you called up central casting and asked for someone who looks and sounds like a generic President for your film, you'd get someone like Romney.
Yep.  He acts like it too.  And he abuses dogs and is just weird.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2011, 05:25:40 PM
Sometimes I wish understood what the hell you were talking about.

Questioning the usefulness of deposit insurance is flat earther kind of thinking at this point.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2011, 04:54:16 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 19, 2011, 03:46:05 PMActually, I doubt I'm going to vote republican this year. Or even vote at all.

I'll be interested in seeing how that holds up once the time comes (you know, if you tell us).
You people are all the same.
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 19, 2011, 05:42:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2011, 05:25:40 PM
Sometimes I wish understood what the hell you were talking about.

Questioning the usefulness of deposit insurance is flat earther kind of thinking at this point.

Okay, that I understood.  I'm not as educated as everyone else on this board, so you guys have to be patient with me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on October 19, 2011, 06:51:06 PM
Minsky uses big New York words to show off.

Marti does to.  Its just that Marti often gets them in the wrong order.

garbon

Quote from: PDH on October 19, 2011, 06:51:06 PM
Minsky uses big New York words to show off.

We can afford them here.

One of my co-workers who lives in Jersey suggested that I go to Outback when I said I wanted a steak.  When I looked at him blankly, he said that he was thinking on an economical basis. His boss, a Manhattanite, looked at him and we both said simultaneously, "We live in Manhattan; we're beyond saving money."  I felt vulgar but then so glad not be in Jersey. :blush: :swiss:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2011, 07:11:00 PM
You can be insufferable sometimes, you know that?

Now why are you buttering me up like that? What do you want?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2011, 07:13:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2011, 07:11:00 PM
You can be insufferable sometimes, you know that?

Now why are you buttering me up like that? What do you want?

I like you garbon, you are what Marty wants to be and never will be.  I find that hilarious.

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2011, 02:26:04 PM
Quote from: KRonn on October 19, 2011, 01:15:58 PM
Maybe Perry will do better if he runs again in four years. He may just not be ready for prime time. Just like Romney seems to have upped his game quite a bit wit all the practice he's had. 

If corrupt incompetents with no leadership abilities is what you think this country needs go ahead and hope for that.
Hehe, I'm not hoping for Perry. Just pointing out that he might get better with time in the bigger circles. As it is now, I'm fairly unimpressed with him, where at first I thought he showed promise.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2011, 10:59:31 AM
My stance is to wait until near when the primary elections occur.  If I pay too much attention before that...I'm liable to not end up voting. :blush:
Have any states moved their primaries to December yet?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on October 19, 2011, 07:21:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2011, 10:59:31 AM
My stance is to wait until near when the primary elections occur.  If I pay too much attention before that...I'm liable to not end up voting. :blush:
Have any states moved their primaries to December yet?

Nah don't you remember that last time around states were liable for punishment and negation if they jumped up to soon?

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2011, 05:23:27 PM
Quote from: KRonn on October 19, 2011, 01:14:03 PM
I forgot to mention Ron Paul. I've never been much a fan of his, but he has some ideas that I like. Such as some of his fiscal ideas. It's good having him in there on those occasions where he kicks butt with common sense ideas,  but he can be a loose cannon sometimes, seem part libertarian and I think kind of part angry.
I like Ron Paul for bravely representing the 19th century.  The man's a mental, but there's a charm to that.  He reminds me of a Republican, right-wing Tony Benn figure.

I can't stand him, so I'm biased, but I'm surprised how little love there is for Romney.  The degree to which everyone seems to want another candidate is extraordinary.

Romney is a smart and capable rich guy who stands for nothing other than getting himself elected, and has spent the last 7 or so years dedicated to becoming president. On the one hand he is the only reasonable republican candidate, because the rest of the field are loons, but he is the most brazenly opportunistic candidate I can remember. This just can't end well.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014