Any of you watch the Republican debate from Las Vegas?

Started by Jacob, October 19, 2011, 12:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2011, 01:06:33 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 19, 2011, 12:52:33 PMYou're making it sound like my vote is a foregone conclusion.  Believe it or not, I am actually planning to consider my choice between Democrats and Republicans very carefully before I will make my decision to vote for a Democrat.

Oh, I know that you're going to make a rational decision based on considering the merits of each of the candidates. No doubt.

Yeah, but that means he'll end up voting for Obama.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

I forgot to mention Ron Paul. I've never been much a fan of his, but he has some ideas that I like. Such as some of his fiscal ideas. It's good having him in there on those occasions where he kicks butt with common sense ideas,  but he can be a loose cannon sometimes, seem part libertarian and I think kind of part angry.

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2011, 11:26:49 AM
Quote from: KRonn on October 19, 2011, 11:23:44 AM
Perry I thought would be a contender but I've soured on him. He doesn't seem to have much in the way of deep seated ideas.

See Jake?  Why do I bother.  KRonn says it only seems like Perry has no ideas after all I have said about his track record as Governor.  Clearly me talking about politics is a waste of time.

Maybe Perry will do better if he runs again in four years. He may just not be ready for prime time. Just like Romney seems to have upped his game quite a bit wit all the practice he's had. 

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2011, 01:06:33 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 19, 2011, 12:52:33 PMYou're making it sound like my vote is a foregone conclusion.  Believe it or not, I am actually planning to consider my choice between Democrats and Republicans very carefully before I will make my decision to vote for a Democrat.

Oh, I know that you're going to make a rational decision based on considering the merits of each of the candidates. No doubt.
You sometimes sound too British to be British.
PDH!

Jacob

DGuller

Wait, was Jacob sarcastic in that latest reply to me? :unsure:

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on October 19, 2011, 01:14:03 PM
I forgot to mention Ron Paul. I've never been much a fan of his, but he has some ideas that I like. Such as some of his fiscal ideas. It's good having him in there on those occasions where he kicks butt with common sense ideas,  but he can be a loose cannon sometimes, seem part libertarian and I think kind of part angry.

So that means he's party crazy part angry?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on October 19, 2011, 01:15:58 PM
Maybe Perry will do better if he runs again in four years. He may just not be ready for prime time. Just like Romney seems to have upped his game quite a bit wit all the practice he's had. 

If corrupt incompetents with no leadership abilities is what you think this country needs go ahead and hope for that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2011, 02:26:04 PM
Quote from: KRonn on October 19, 2011, 01:15:58 PM

If corrupt incompetents with no leadership abilities is what you think this country needs go ahead and hope for that.

We have another option?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2011, 10:56:23 AM
Quote from: DGuller on October 19, 2011, 09:09:48 AM
:yes: It doesn't hurt that Republicans are in a full blown retard mode, which makes their debates easier to not bother with.

So basically, let them be completely ridiculous for the next however many months. Then a month or so before the election start paying attention and - in your case - vote Democrat anyways and - in Ed Anger's case - vote Republican as usual?

Actually, I doubt I'm going to vote republican this year. Or even vote at all.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

I've soured a bit on Perry.  I can't point to one individual thing that did it-- probably a little bit of everything. 

Gott Mit Mitt :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 19, 2011, 03:46:05 PMActually, I doubt I'm going to vote republican this year. Or even vote at all.

I'll be interested in seeing how that holds up once the time comes (you know, if you tell us).

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on October 19, 2011, 04:54:16 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 19, 2011, 03:46:05 PMActually, I doubt I'm going to vote republican this year. Or even vote at all.

I'll be interested in seeing how that holds up once the time comes (you know, if you tell us).

It'll hold up.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: KRonn on October 19, 2011, 01:14:03 PM
I like Ron Paul for bravely representing the 19th century.  The man's a mental, but there's a charm to that.  He reminds me of a Republican, right-wing Tony Benn figure.

I can't stand him, so I'm biased, but I'm surprised how little love there is for Romney.  The degree to which everyone seems to want another candidate is extraordinary.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 19, 2011, 12:41:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2011, 06:18:05 AM
Saw an interview with Herman Cain.  Remove bank regulation, get rid of the FDIC.   :frusty:

A year ago, the just-minted econ "Nobel" winner Thomas Sargent gave an unintentionally hilarious interview published by the Minneapolis fed.   When asked to come up with any examples of contributions that macro-economic theory had made to understanding financial crises, the two examples he could think of were a model demonstrating the benefits of deposit insurance and a Chicago School research concerning narrow banking.  Given that Sargent is one of the doyens of the conservative rational expectations school, its hard to understate the degree to which significant swaths of the GOP (Cain, Paul, Bachman at least) are way out of the mainstrream on these issues.

Sometimes I wish understood what the hell you were talking about.