News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Airlines suck

Started by Martinus, October 18, 2011, 05:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I once tried to get the exit row seats on Air France.  Their response: "speak French?  :rolleyes:"  Passengers on exit rows need to assist in opening the doors in emergency. 

The problem with exit rows is that the flight attendants always insist that absolutely nothing lies on the floor.  Unlike regular seats where you can put bags etc in front.  They are really worried about loose objects flying around.  I suppose there must be a law suit somewhere on this. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Monoriu on October 18, 2011, 10:18:21 PM
The problem with exit rows is that the flight attendants always insist that absolutely nothing lies on the floor.  Unlike regular seats where you can put bags etc in front.  They are really worried about loose objects flying around. 

:huh:

alfred russel

Quote from: Neil on October 18, 2011, 10:02:24 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 18, 2011, 09:35:28 PM
Note, first class and business class are not always the same thing. On big airlines like British Airways, for instance (which I once got to peek at but not stay in), First Class is like being king. Business class is more of an intermediary between the two, although several airlines have now dispensed with first class altogether.
Well, there's a lot of short-haul flights these days, and there's no point in paying for first-class unless you're crossing an ocean or the Asian continent.

I think if you aren't getting a nights rest, economy is just fine.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 18, 2011, 10:19:13 PM
The problem with exit rows is that the flight attendants always insist that absolutely nothing lies on the floor.  Unlike regular seats where you can put bags etc in front.  They are really worried about loose objects flying around. 

I find it annoying to have to retreive my stuff from the overhead compartments.  Especially when I don't have the aisle seats. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on October 18, 2011, 10:21:47 PM

I find it annoying to have to retreive my stuff from the overhead compartments.  Especially when I don't have the aisle seats. 

Eek, Mono and I agreed. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Do you always fly business class? If not, where do you fit your legs?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on October 18, 2011, 10:24:29 PM

No, and I am short  :blush:

Monoriu

I miss the days when, as soon as the plane had landed, everybody would get up and get their luggages while the plane was still taxiing to the terminal.  These days the attendants seem ready to punch anybody who does this.  Again, someone must've been hit by a loose object somewhere, and lawsuits followed.

Habsburg

Quote from: Monoriu on October 18, 2011, 10:26:01 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 18, 2011, 10:24:29 PM

No, and I am short  :blush:

You are filthy rich, of course you fly business class.  It's okay.  :hug:

Tonitrus

What Berkut said in the other thread was spot on, and deserves repeating...

QuoteAmerican consumers have nobody but themselves to blame when it comes to airline service.

We buy airline tickets by going online, using a price comparison engine, and buying the cheapest possible seat. Since that is how 95% of the tickets are sold, the airlines are forced to cut their costs to the bare minimum in order to compete on price only, since price only is all we make decisions on...

If you want food, legroom, and better than surly service, pay double for business class.

I am 6' 6", and I can manage to survive in regular economy class seats (even on a flight from Seattle to Japan).  But I'll pay extra for the emergency row or a slight upgrade that some airlines have, like Frontier.

But ideally, a more "middle class" option would be nicer, not having to pay the ridiculous premium upgrade to first/business class.

Of course, better more comfortable seating overall would be nicer.

But as Berkut said, we may all gripe about cattle-car conditions on airlines, but we'll never accept paying higher prices.  An airline that tries to charge a higher price for even somewhat better seating will never fly (hah), because while people gripe, they really don't care enough.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Habsburg on October 18, 2011, 11:12:09 PM

Mono sharing a ride with the masses? He's not that cheap, if his plane's in the shop he'll charter one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

I'd love to live in your fantasyland, Habs  :hug:

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 19, 2011, 02:13:16 AM

Mono sharing a ride with the masses? He's not that cheap, if his plane's in the shop he'll charter one.

I don't think Mono is very wealthy.  He's in civil service.  He's greedy, but he'll end up dying poor.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Warspite

I flew Etihad business class once. It had fully reclining seats; for the first time in my life I slept well on a plane.

QuoteBut as Berkut said, we may all gripe about cattle-car conditions on airlines, but we'll never accept paying higher prices.  An airline that tries to charge a higher price for even somewhat better seating will never fly (hah), because while people gripe, they really don't care enough.
I think it's different for long haul. At least what I am objecting to isn't a pleasurable level of comfort, but a basic minimum. I'm 6' 5"  but have very long legs, even for my height; they really do get jammed into the seat in front even when I sit up properly.

Plus with the risk of blood clots and DVT when seats are too crammed, there's non-trivial health risk for such passengers.

I really don't think it's too much to ask that airlines keep hold of certain seats for their taller customers, surely?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 19, 2011, 02:03:09 AM
What Berkut said in the other thread was spot on, and deserves repeating...

QuoteAmerican consumers have nobody but themselves to blame when it comes to airline service.

We buy airline tickets by going online, using a price comparison engine, and buying the cheapest possible seat. Since that is how 95% of the tickets are sold, the airlines are forced to cut their costs to the bare minimum in order to compete on price only, since price only is all we make decisions on...

If you want food, legroom, and better than surly service, pay double for business class.

I am 6' 6", and I can manage to survive in regular economy class seats (even on a flight from Seattle to Japan).  But I'll pay extra for the emergency row or a slight upgrade that some airlines have, like Frontier.

But ideally, a more "middle class" option would be nicer, not having to pay the ridiculous premium upgrade to first/business class.

Of course, better more comfortable seating overall would be nicer.

But as Berkut said, we may all gripe about cattle-car conditions on airlines, but we'll never accept paying higher prices.  An airline that tries to charge a higher price for even somewhat better seating will never fly (hah), because while people gripe, they really don't care enough.

Yeah, I kind of agree with you and Berkut.  Airlines barely make profit as it is, (often they don't), I don't think you can expect any more from them on economy class flights with out nationalizing the industry.

Well, there's no reason the flight attendant has to be surly.  Though they aren't paid that much, and neither are pilots.  Those are some serious problems actually.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017