News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Airlines suck

Started by Martinus, October 18, 2011, 05:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on October 18, 2011, 10:48:26 AM
The problem with exit row seats is that you don't have an entertainment system in front of you.  My legs are on the long side as well, but I actually prefer angling my legs a little rather than be bored out of my mind.  Maybe our tall posters with an ampler posterior don't have that option.

The airplane often has teeny-tiny screens above every other row, and somewhat larger screens on the back walls. Sitting in an exit row, I could see the larger screen just fine, and happily watched a movie. While those leg-anglers behind me suffered.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on October 18, 2011, 01:58:13 PM
The problem with exit row seats is that you don't have an entertainment system in front of you.  My legs are on the long side as well, but I actually prefer angling my legs a little rather than be bored out of my mind.  Maybe our tall posters with an ampler posterior don't have that option.

The airplane often has teeny-tiny screens above every other row, and somewhat larger screens on the back walls. Sitting in an exit row, I could see the larger screen just fine, and happily watched a movie. While those leg-anglers behind me suffered.  :P

You don't sit in business class? With your money? ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 18, 2011, 02:01:05 PM
You don't sit in business class? With your money? ;)

I only pay twice as much for a flight if it is a disbursement.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

I always fly in the exit row - gives more room than business class.  the movie thing is solved by the fact that most planes have the screen that folds up from the seat on an extendable arm.  Its the only way to fly.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on October 18, 2011, 05:30:28 AM
It's fucking annoying that when you buy a plane ticket and then want someone else to use it, you cannot do that. You have to return the ticket (and they pay you back only a small part of the price) and the other person has to buy it again at a full price.

Fuck that shit. It's a fucking violation of consumer rights.  :mad:

You should hire a lawyer to advise you on contracts before you enter into them.

DGuller

I'm talking about those individualized entertainment systems.  Maybe they didn't make it to Canada yet, like fixed rate mortgages? :unsure:  Basically, they have on-demand TV, as well as some games to play. 

The one time I flew on exit row, there was indeed a large screen in front of it, but I could not control it.  What someone chose to show is what I saw.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on October 18, 2011, 02:32:45 PM
I'm talking about those individualized entertainment systems.  Maybe they didn't make it to Canada yet,

You are being silly and you live in an underdeveloped nation that cannot afford proper airlines.

On the aircraft I frequent there is an individual entertainment system for each seat.  They are located on the back of the seat immediately in front.  However that does not work so well for exit seats since there is a considerable distance between the two seats.  To solve that problem the exit seats have their entertainment system built in to a screen that extend out form the exit seat itself allow for easy access and viewing.

Josephus

No doubt if you have to fly economy class, then the exit row rules. But most people know this and the demand is high. You have to book very early to ensure you get that row and even then, some flights reserve them for old people or those with babies, toddlers.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on October 18, 2011, 02:45:24 PM
No doubt if you have to fly economy class, then the exit row rules. But most people know this and the demand is high. You have to book very early to ensure you get that row and even then, some flights reserve them for old people or those with babies, toddlers.

That is what all the short people think.  Its pretty easy for me to get an exit seat...

Warspite

That's precisely what they don't do, given that people in the emergency row are required to carry out physical duties in the event of a crash landing. No babies, no elderly, no one with an arm in a sling.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

garbon

My last few flights the exit rows are largely empty as people didn't want to pay more.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

You have to book very early to ensure you get that row and even then, some flights reserve them for old people or those with babies, toddlers.
Is that even legal?  I thought that people sitting on exit row seats have to be physically able to assist in evacuation.  At least that's the impression I got from the flight attendant's speech when I sat in one.

Josephus

Quote from: Warspite on October 18, 2011, 02:49:15 PM
That's precisely what they don't do, given that people in the emergency row are required to carry out physical duties in the event of a crash landing. No babies, no elderly, no one with an arm in a sling.

Oh, OK, yeah. I was thinking of that other good row, the bulkhead they call it.
Civis Romanus Sum

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 18, 2011, 02:55:55 PM
Quote from: Warspite on October 18, 2011, 02:49:15 PM

Oh, OK, yeah. I was thinking of that other good row, the bulkhead they call it.

Yup. On the last plane I was on, it even had an attachement for a criblike arrangent on the bulkhead - always an ominous sight on an 8-hour flight.  :D [Actually, the kid slepped most of the time and was pretty cute and non-loud the rest, so it was all good]

Warspite

Goddamn, BA actually charge £50 if you want an emergency exit row seat. Looks like I'll just have to try to sweet talk the check-in attendant.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA