Every student wants a hot teacher, but this is pushing it.

Started by HVC, October 14, 2011, 01:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Well joking aside this is fairly traumactic

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2011/10/14/self_immolation_french_math_teacher_sets_herself_on_fire_in_fron.html

QuoteA 44-year-old math teacher who set herself on fire in front of students at her school in southern France died Friday.

The AFP reports that the self-immolation appears to have been prompted by a confrontation between the teacher and a group of rowdy students at a Thursday meeting aimed at clearing the air between the instructor and her pupils.

Students and teachers who witnessed the apparently depressed teacher douse herself in gasoline and set herself ablaze quickly came to her aid. She was then airlifted from the Beziers school to a Montpellier hospital, where she was treated for third-degree burns on Thursday before passing away the following day.

The BBC has this account:

She came to the Jean Moulin school on Thursday morning with a jerry can, gave a class at 09:00 and then, when the morning break came, walked to the centre of the playground, poured petrol on herself and set herself alight.
"I saw her body on fire, walking forward with her hands on her head," said one student witness, Karim.
"Several people tried to put her out. She said 'No, leave me alone. I don't need help. God told me to do this.'"
The Connexion, an English-Language paper based in France, has a summary of the story from the French press, and reports that Education Minster Luc Chatel visited the teacher in the hospital prior to her death and described her as "psychologically very fragile." He said an inquiry will be held to find out the precise cause of her actions.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

This story is shocking.

QuoteGod told me to do this

A French person who believes in God?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Zanza

You guys are on fire tonight. That's what like about Languish - you aren't flamed for lame puns.

Maximus

People really need to seek help before they crash and burn like that.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

You don't know how much it pains me that one of my threads has turned into a punning abomination.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 14, 2011, 04:02:43 PM
Those kids are gonna be scarred for life.

There was a time that public executions (including by burning) was a public spectacle. Some may be scarred, but I think people have a bit more mental fortitude than you give them credit for.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on October 14, 2011, 04:20:50 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 14, 2011, 04:02:43 PM
Those kids are gonna be scarred for life.

There was a time that public executions (including by burning) was a public spectacle. Some may be scarred, but I think people have a bit more mental fortitude than you give them credit for.
Most people back then were fucked up because of the horrible things they saw and hard lives they lead.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point