Swine Flue outbreak in Mexico, US; 20 confirmed dead.

Started by Syt, April 25, 2009, 04:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2009, 11:30:34 PM
Just heard on BBC that the European Commission is calling it "Novel Flu" or "Mexican Flu" in order to not depress pork sales. :lmfao:

US administration uses "Human H1N1" as official name instead of Swine flu arguing that it's misleading to add references to pigs, and Israel has been using "Mexican flu" since the beginning as well, because the ultra-orthodox Health minister didn't want any reference to pigs on its name.

It's argued that calling it "Swine flu" makes people thing pigs are a vector of infection, which is not the case. Some countries are slaughtering their entire pig livestock for fear of infection, which is, pun intended, pig-headed.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 30, 2009, 07:05:07 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 30, 2009, 06:45:15 AM
I've seen kobolds with better loot.
Where?  I need some more magical weapons.

This is not a Monty Haul campaign. You will be grateful for 2 copper pieces and a ball of string.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 30, 2009, 07:48:32 AM

This is not a Monty Haul campaign. You will be grateful for 2 copper pieces and a ball of string.  :mad:
That was about all we got last night.  Dark dwarves and some fire bats.  Cheap bastards. On the plus side I rolled a bunch of nat 20s.  Isn't this so much more uplifting than reading about the latest hysterical health scare from Big Pharma and the Liberal Media?!
PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 30, 2009, 07:50:37 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 30, 2009, 07:48:32 AM

That was about all we got last night.  Dark dwarves and some fire bats.  Cheap bastards. On the plus side I rolled a bunch of nat 20s.  Isn't this so much more uplifting than reading about the latest hysterical health scare from Big Pharma and the Liberal Media?!

We need clerics of Tyr to heal the Beaners.

Darth Wagtaros

I think Tyr has been killed off in the terrible Forgotten Realms 4th Ed.

PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 30, 2009, 08:07:30 AM

<_< I bought the 4th ed player's handbook in anticipation of playing with my friends with that web based game service they was going to put out.

Months later, I got jack shit.

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

KRonn

I assume this has been going on in Mexico for some time. That has to be scary stuff. WHO officials now raised the worldwide outbreak to a level 5, one level short of being a pandemic.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30487509/

Mexico to shut down government in flu fight
Decision comes as the World Health Organization warns of pandemic

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30398682/

WHO notches up swine flu pandemic alert
Global outbreak considered imminent; vaccine efforts will be ramped up

Razgovory

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 30, 2009, 08:07:30 AM

I thought it was a very similar god.  Helm.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Whatever. The Realms were crapped on in the new edition. 
PDH!

Neil

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 30, 2009, 09:27:47 AM
Whatever. The Realms were crapped on in the new edition.
Indeed.  It's exactly the same shit they did to BattleTech.

"We're tired of having a rich backstory.  We want to jump on board the bandwagon du jour (WoW for 4e Realms, collectible miniatures for BattleTech), and we want to do all new things with the game world, but the backstory constrains us.  Well, fuck it.  Let's just blow up the universe and timejump a century."

Abominations.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: KRonn on April 30, 2009, 08:51:19 AM
I assume this has been going on in Mexico for some time. That has to be scary stuff. WHO officials now raised the worldwide outbreak to a level 5, one level short of being a pandemic.
In the meantime, Neil has raised the worldwide hysteria over something that's not really a big deal to level 10.  If you take the 'dem' out of 'pandemic', you get what this really is.  In fact, if you want to be really creative, you can kick the 'dem' out front, add a couple of letters and get a 'demos panic'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Does anyone know the last time we had a threat level of 5?  I heard some disease control type on the radio saying that the reason for the concern is that the Spanish Flu also started by being mild in the spring/summer but then as "flu season" arrived it turned very deadly.

They are concerned the same might happen with this given the fact that it is a new virius.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 30, 2009, 11:03:20 AM
Does anyone know the last time we had a threat level of 5?  I heard some disease control type on the radio saying that the reason for the concern is that the Spanish Flu also started by being mild in the spring/summer but then as "flu season" arrived it turned very deadly.

They are concerned the same might happen with this given the fact that it is a new virius.

I think that the "six stages" system developed by the WHO is relatively new and has not seen a pandemic since its development - I think this is the first time a phase 5 has occurred.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius