Swine Flue outbreak in Mexico, US; 20 confirmed dead.

Started by Syt, April 25, 2009, 04:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 26, 2009, 02:49:00 PM
Just got back from a two hour meeting on this.

They activated one of the plans at work over an "abundance of caution". Or in real world speak, a VP watched MSNBC and shit his or her pants.
LOL wait a minute. Did they get you to come to a useless meeting on SUNDAY to discuss this shit?

:nelson:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on April 26, 2009, 02:59:26 PM

They activated one of the plans at work over an "abundance of caution". Or in real world speak, a VP watched MSNBC and shit his or her pants.
Are they forcing you to wear a mask?

No.  :lol: There is a bit of overreaction going on.

Mostly, the 1st stage plan is to send home any employee who has the sniffles, and report any large scale absences.

At the office/campus I'm at, I'll be the HNIC for it(I HAVE THE POWER!) and oversee activation of any needed emergency procedures.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on April 26, 2009, 03:00:18 PM

LOL wait a minute. Did they get you to come to a useless meeting on SUNDAY to discuss this shit?

:nelson:

yes. On the 2nd round of the NFL draft too.  :blush:

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 26, 2009, 03:06:34 PM
At the office/campus I'm at, I'll be the HNIC for it(I HAVE THE POWER!) and oversee activation of any needed emergency procedures.
I recommend asking the board to pass an enabling act.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2009, 03:09:13 PM
I recommend asking the board to pass an enabling act.

:D

If this shit gets too bad, I'll give security a donative and declare myself Augustus.

alfred russel

Mostly, the 1st stage plan is to send home any employee who has the sniffles, and report any large scale absences.

WHAT IF YOU HAVE THE SNIFFLES TOMORROW? WERE YOUR BACKUP HNICs AT THE MEETING TODAY? WHO WILL BE ABLE TO IMPLEMENT THE EMERGENCY PROCEDURES?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Quote from: alfred russel on April 26, 2009, 03:14:17 PM

WHAT IF YOU HAVE THE SNIFFLES TOMORROW? WERE YOUR BACKUP HNICs AT THE MEETING TODAY? WHO WILL BE ABLE TO IMPLEMENT THE EMERGENCY PROCEDURES?

Don't panic. The chain of command is bulletproof! There are no American tanks in Baghdad!

Neil

Hockey Night In Canada?  That was last night, dude.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2009, 03:22:25 PM

Just in case you don't know:

Head
Nigger
In
Charge

Lucidor

The BBC piece, where they speculate about around 200 deaths is worrying.

I am wondering, if this turns out to be sort of a rerun of the Spanish flu, with significant mortality rates in the "not infant, not elderly" group: Would you still go to work if there was a risk of you contracting it? I'm leaning towards that it's my duty and that I have to go, but I work in healthcare, so it's a special case.

alfred russel

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 26, 2009, 03:23:42 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2009, 03:22:25 PM

Just in case you don't know:

Head
Nigger
In
Charge

I thought it was "head nincompoop in charge." :blush:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

Quote from: Lucidor on April 26, 2009, 03:27:37 PM

I am wondering, if this turns out to be sort of a rerun of the Spanish flu, with significant mortality rates in the "not infant, not elderly" group: Would you still go to work if there was a risk of you contracting it? I'm leaning towards that it's my duty and that I have to go, but I work in healthcare, so it's a special case.

Altough I think (and hope) this is just another bird flu panic attack, the question is interesting. The geniuses at my office thought its a good idea to keep several hundred people in a single open space, so I would be almost guaranteed to catch this thing if it reaches the country. Yet I would not skip work because of it.

Fireblade

Quote from: Lucidor on April 26, 2009, 03:27:37 PM

Fuck no. The books will still be there when I get back.  :P

Ed Anger

Fireblade

QuoteThere are suspect cases in Israel, NZ (confirmed), Spain and France that were airline travelers from Mexico (KS and NYC has similar cases, both now confirmed.)

Is this an Arab plot to destroy the Jews? :o

Clearly, it is our duty to wipe out the swine from the face of the earth. We should, as a country, devote all our efforts into making sure no pig walks on God's Green Earth ever again. My friends, it is time to eat BBQ until this menace is exterminated!