Alex Salmond to let 16-year-olds vote in bid to secure independence

Started by jimmy olsen, October 10, 2011, 01:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2011, 03:30:04 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 10, 2011, 01:44:11 PM
they'd almost certainly want all North Sea oil revenue

Suddenly everything makes more sense.

Yeah, but good luck with that, Scots.  The British are no more likely to let an independent Scotland have all the oil money than they are to divide among the top 150 posters on Languish.

Valmy

How much of a hole would that blow in the UK's finances if they got that?

Why would the Scots be entitled to it?  I thought the fields were way out in the North Sea not in Scottish territorial waters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2011, 03:38:13 PM

Why would the Scots be entitled to it?  I thought the fields were way out in the North Sea not in Scottish territorial waters.

The vast majority of British oil and gas reserves are in what would be a Scottish Economic Zone upon independence.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2011, 03:38:13 PM

You draw a line out in the sea from the Scottish/English border and I think they fall on the Scottish side.  Same as with a country's Exclusive Economic Zone (tm).

Fucking Puffin.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on October 10, 2011, 03:33:46 PM

And this is exactly why secession from a liberal democracy should never be allowed, and should be laughed off as a serious idea when broached and met with force if need be.  Secession in such a state has exactly zero philosophical underpinnings and is simply one segment of British nation seeking to profit at the expense of the whole.  It's a monstrous ideology, essentially a form of geopolitical anarchy and taken to its absurd conclusions any pissant political unit, down to an individual, could secede from a nation at will when it was no longer immediately advantageous to remain.  It is the end of Western civilization, and those who hold to it should be destroyed.
Hear Hear! :cheers:

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on October 10, 2011, 03:41:25 PM
The vast majority of British oil and gas reserves are in what would be a Scottish Economic Zone upon independence.

Got it.  Well that is what this crap is all about isn't it?

Nationalists really are scum.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Warspite

How much of the oil and gas fields are actually left?

My understanding was that the North Sea hydrocarbon bonanza was well and truly past.

If the Scots want to go, that's cool, but I don't believe 16 is a good voting age.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2011, 03:45:20 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 10, 2011, 03:41:25 PM

Nope. The issue is that everything that the English blame The Conservatives for the Scots blame the English for.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Lettow77

swooon

this referendum is ill-timed, but I wish it every success

<3

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on October 10, 2011, 03:31:04 PM
While the legal voting age is, after all, set at an arbitrary limit, it's really dodgy and a pretty distasteful to  manipulate the franchise with an eye towards getting a particular voting result.  Much worse than the gerrymandering that some of the Euros were giving us about in a recent thread.
The article's misleading - as are all English articles about Scottish politics.  The SNP announced it years ago and have had as their policy that 16 should be the age of suffrage.  But the age for elections is set by Westminster, in elections controlled by Holyrood - like some local ones I think  and this referendum - they've extended the franchise.  It's also Lib Dem party policy.

I'm a unionist but I would vote SNP over Scottish Labour every single time (and the Scottish Lib Dems and Tories aren't much better).  I'd reconsider my support of the union if the only good reason for Scotland remaining is money.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2011, 03:45:20 PM

:blink:  No. On both points.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 10, 2011, 04:29:30 PM
Quote from: dps on October 10, 2011, 03:31:04 PM
While the legal voting age is, after all, set at an arbitrary limit, it's really dodgy and a pretty distasteful to  manipulate the franchise with an eye towards getting a particular voting result.  Much worse than the gerrymandering that some of the Euros were giving us about in a recent thread.
The article's misleading - as are all English articles about Scottish politics.  The SNP announced it years ago and have had as their policy that 16 should be the age of suffrage.  But the age for elections is set by Westminster, in elections controlled by Holyrood - like some local ones I think  and this referendum - they've extended the franchise.  It's also Lib Dem party policy.

Ah, that's a bit different.  Though I'd have major misgivings about extending the vote to 16 year olds--actually I still have some doubt about the wisdom of lowering the voting age from 21 to 18.

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on October 10, 2011, 04:51:53 PM
Ah, that's a bit different.  Though I'd have major misgivings about extending the vote to 16 year olds--actually I still have some doubt about the wisdom of lowering the voting age from 21 to 18.
Yeah I'm a bit dubious myself.  I get the argument that they can work (and pay taxes) and join the forces at 16 but still...
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on October 10, 2011, 03:33:46 PM
And this is exactly why secession from a liberal democracy should never be allowed, and should be laughed off as a serious idea when broached and met with force if need be.  Secession in such a state has exactly zero philosophical underpinnings and is simply one segment of British nation seeking to profit at the expense of the whole.  It's a monstrous ideology, essentially a form of geopolitical anarchy and taken to its absurd conclusions any pissant political unit, down to an individual, could secede from a nation at will when it was no longer immediately advantageous to remain.  It is the end of Western civilization, and those who hold to it should be destroyed.
what a load of horseshit... you're as bad as Raz.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.