Alex Salmond to let 16-year-olds vote in bid to secure independence

Started by jimmy olsen, October 10, 2011, 01:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on October 10, 2011, 09:03:44 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 10, 2011, 06:43:36 PM
The Anglo people form a nation, split between six or so jurisdictions*;
Haven't seen the Grossdeutschland theory (even modified) espoused since WW2.

"The Anglo people...."  :lmfao:

I'd prefer to think of myself separate from the British.  You see things like this from third worlders and Balkantards.  Greater Serbia, United Arab Republic etc.  Not the biggest fan of Irredentism myself.  There are a few exception.  Korea should be reunified under a Southern style government.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

citizen k

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 10, 2011, 09:13:06 PM
Quote from: citizen k on October 10, 2011, 09:10:26 PM
Ide's ethnocentrism is duly noted by his Chinese handlers.
The "anglo" nations are hardly ethnically homogenous,  it's more of a cultural and linguistic description.

I'm just reporting what the Chinese said.

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on October 10, 2011, 09:08:10 PM

Don't be ridiculous.  We all speak English, we all use common law jurisprudence.  Close enough.

The Scots don't use common law jurisprudence. :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: grumbler on October 10, 2011, 08:54:48 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 10, 2011, 03:33:46 PM
And this is exactly why secession from a liberal democracy should never be allowed, and should be laughed off as a serious idea when broached and met with force if need be.  Secession in such a state has exactly zero philosophical underpinnings and is simply one segment of British nation seeking to profit at the expense of the whole.  It's a monstrous ideology, essentially a form of geopolitical anarchy and taken to its absurd conclusions any pissant political unit, down to an individual, could secede from a nation at will when it was no longer immediately advantageous to remain.  It is the end of Western civilization, and those who hold to it should be destroyed.
:lmfao:  Nuthin' funnier than bumper-sticker politics!

By your lights, both the Czech Republic and the Republic of Slovakia should be burned to the ground, because they dared to go against your silly bumper-sticker rhetoric!  :P

Succession should obviously be approached with the utmost seriousness, but lazy thinking by its opponents is as silly as lazy thinking by its proponents.

When the Czech-Slovak split occurred Czechoslovakia had no significant history of liberal democracy upon which to legitimize itself, outside of the period 1918-1939.  They therefore fall outside of the condemnation box, although I see of no compelling reason why dissolution struck anyone as a good idea, other than simple nationalism.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on October 10, 2011, 09:29:25 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 10, 2011, 09:08:10 PM

Don't be ridiculous.  We all speak English, we all use common law jurisprudence.  Close enough.

The Scots don't use common law jurisprudence. :mellow:

That is true, and I forgot about that.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Ide, I would have expected something silly like that from Tim, not you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Zoupa

Ide, I don't think you'd feel at home in Australia or Ireland. Even London for that matter.

Ideologue

Quote from: Zoupa on October 11, 2011, 12:05:20 AM
Ide, I don't think you'd feel at home in Australia or Ireland. Even London for that matter.

Or New York.  But they're still Anglophones, and I can do business with, understand the laws of, comprehend and be entertained by the culture of, and feel a kinship toward New Yorkers.

But fwiw, in the same vein there's no particularly compelling reason for (at least) an EU-style Oceania to not exist, there's not much more of particularly compelling reason why there's no overarching Western superstate, other than a lack of sanguinity in regards to fighting totalitarianism (our national reserve of which we've pretty much used up by this point anyway).
Kinemalogue

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 10, 2011, 01:53:39 PM
I think we should pre-empt him and gain English independence first, why should we be lumbered with the Welsh and Irish?

What's next? A separate chav state?

Richard Hakluyt

I think Wales is too English to ever leave. In Northern Ireland we await the time when a majority will vote for Irish unification. Scotland has it's own legal system, it's own history and culture; I think they will leave at some point............the reasons for the Union have faded.

Viking

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 11, 2011, 02:00:57 AM
I think Wales is too English to ever leave. In Northern Ireland we await the time when a majority will vote for Irish unification. Scotland has it's own legal system, it's own history and culture; I think they will leave at some point............the reasons for the Union have faded.

Wales - will not secede, the road from south wales to north wales goes through England.
Ulster - will not secede, local majority's paranoia is just as anti-irish as scottish paranoia is anti-english.
Scotland - will remain in limbo like Quebec and the Faroe Islands, the locals want to separate but when faced with the actual choice they will choke. Basically, too many scots live in London to make full independence possible.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Gups

The sooner they leave the better. And none of this independence lite shit either. Proper independence, making their own spending decisions and raising their own revenue.

No hard feelings and good luck to them.