Alex Salmond to let 16-year-olds vote in bid to secure independence

Started by jimmy olsen, October 10, 2011, 01:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: viper37 on October 10, 2011, 04:58:10 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 10, 2011, 03:33:46 PM
And this is exactly why secession from a liberal democracy should never be allowed, and should be laughed off as a serious idea when broached and met with force if need be.  Secession in such a state has exactly zero philosophical underpinnings and is simply one segment of British nation seeking to profit at the expense of the whole.  It's a monstrous ideology, essentially a form of geopolitical anarchy and taken to its absurd conclusions any pissant political unit, down to an individual, could secede from a nation at will when it was no longer immediately advantageous to remain.  It is the end of Western civilization, and those who hold to it should be destroyed.
what a load of horseshit... you're as bad as Raz.

Did I hurt your wee Quebecois feelings?  In that case, at least you have the dubious rationale of language difference.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Viper thinks I'm picking on him, because I genuinely don't understand Quebeci Nationalism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Ide just hate the nation-state for some reason. It might not make economic sense to have independence, so why is the option polling in the 40%?

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on October 10, 2011, 06:13:35 PM
Ide just hate the nation-state for some reason. It might not make economic sense to have independence, so why is the option polling in the 40%?

Who knows why the option is polling in the 40's?  Hell, you'll find similar number of people in this country who think that people used to ride dinosaurs.  All kinds of bizarre things poll highly.

I have nothing against the Nation-State.  Seems good a way of organizing a country as any other.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Ide just hate the nation-state for some reason.

I do, and I have reasons, but Scotland is no nation.  The Anglo people form a nation, split between six or so jurisdictions*; I see no need to make it seven.

*And to some extent the West, split between about, what, thirty?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Why should we give any validity to the concept of the nation state. Human governments should not be founded on the basis of ethnic groups.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on October 10, 2011, 03:33:46 PM
And this is exactly why secession from a liberal democracy should never be allowed, and should be laughed off as a serious idea when broached and met with force if need be.  Secession in such a state has exactly zero philosophical underpinnings and is simply one segment of British nation seeking to profit at the expense of the whole.  It's a monstrous ideology, essentially a form of geopolitical anarchy and taken to its absurd conclusions any pissant political unit, down to an individual, could secede from a nation at will when it was no longer immediately advantageous to remain.  It is the end of Western civilization, and those who hold to it should be destroyed.
:lmfao:  Nuthin' funnier than bumper-sticker politics!

By your lights, both the Czech Republic and the Republic of Slovakia should be burned to the ground, because they dared to go against your silly bumper-sticker rhetoric!  :P

Succession should obviously be approached with the utmost seriousness, but lazy thinking by its opponents is as silly as lazy thinking by its proponents.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Sneaky fuck.

QuoteI think he'd still want the Barnett formula.  Failing that they could raise taxes or cut spending as they saw fit and they'd almost certainly want all North Sea oil revenue, including the Chancellor's recent levy (which I think the SNP want to cancel).
Which is just bollocks. Why should Glasgow get a penny of Shetland`s oil money?

QuoteIde just hate the nation-state for some reason. It might not make economic sense to have independence, so why is the option polling in the 40%?

Amongst kids.
Most young people aren`t known for fully thought out political beliefs.
Amongst the general population support is much lower, overall common sense trumps nationalism.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on October 10, 2011, 06:43:36 PM
The Anglo people form a nation, split between six or so jurisdictions*;
Haven't seen the Grossdeutschland theory (even modified) espoused since WW2.

"The Anglo people...."  :lmfao:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

Quote from: grumbler on October 10, 2011, 09:03:44 PM

Don't be ridiculous.  We all speak English, we all use common law jurisprudence.  Close enough.
Kinemalogue

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on October 10, 2011, 09:03:44 PM

I dunno.  You see this sort of thing from China a lot.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

citizen k

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: citizen k on October 10, 2011, 09:10:26 PM
Ide's ethnocentrism is duly noted by his Chinese handlers.
The "anglo" nations are hardly ethnically homogenous,  it's more of a cultural and linguistic description.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point