Puerto Rico governor to submit status referendum

Started by jimmy olsen, October 04, 2011, 09:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Puerto Rico Become the 51st State?

Statehood
19 (63.3%)
Status Quo
3 (10%)
Sovereign Free Association
0 (0%)
Independence
8 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

jimmy olsen

:punk:

http://news.yahoo.com/puerto-rico-governor-submit-status-referendum-223217843.html
QuotePuerto Rico governor to submit status referendum
APBy DANICA COTO - Associated Press | AP – 2 hrs 12 mins ago

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — The governor of Puerto Rico announced Tuesday that he will present local legislators with a plan for a two-part referendum next year to decide the political future of the U.S. territory once and for all.

In a surprise televised address, Gov. Luis Fortuno said "the moment has come" to decide Puerto Rico's final status.

The announcement comes just days after U.S. President Barack Obama was criticized for saying the island would remain a commonwealth if there was not a clear, overwhelming majority leaning toward a different option.

Critics noted that Obama had earlier said he would support any outcome decided by Puerto Rican voters.

In the 20-minute message, Fortuno said he would push ahead unilaterally with his decision.

"Let's be clear: neither Congress nor the president, nor any other power on earth can stop Puerto Rico from expressing itself freely and democratically about its preference regarding its political status," Fortuno said. "Congress did not act, but we will act."

Fortuno, whose New Progressive Party supports statehood, said he will present legislation on Wednesday that would allow islanders to vote on Aug. 12, 2012 whether they want a change in status. If they want a change, voters would choose one of three options in a second referendum to be held during the November 2012 general elections.

The three options would be statehood, independence, or a sovereign free association, which differs from the current commonwealth status.

Puerto Rico's House of Representatives and Senate will have to debate the proposed legislation.

Puerto Ricans have previously voted on the status issue in referendums issued in 1967, 1993 and 1998, no clear majority emerged and the status quo has remained.

Members of the Popular Democratic Party, which supports the status quo, blasted Fortuno's proposal.

Sen. Eduardo Bhatia said it would do nothing except divide an island that is fighting a near-record number of killings and the highest unemployment rate compared with any U.S. state.

"This will be a struggle between tribes," Bhatia said in a phone interview, referring to political parties. "This is not what Puerto Rico needs at the moment."

He said his party would be preparing several rebuttals to Fortuno's proposal.

The party issued its own statement saying that a similar proposal had previously been rejected by the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives.

Meanwhile, the leader of the island's minority independence movement embraced Fortuno's announcement, saying he and others had sought a similar referendum since 2005.

"This represents a triumph not only for the Independence Party, but for the citizens of Puerto Rico," Fernando Martin, the party's executive president, said in a phone interview. "We know that in Puerto Rico there is a large majority that disagrees with the colonial character of the current status."

Commonwealth status grants Puerto Ricans U.S. citizenship but bars them from voting for president, and their congressional representative cannot vote either.

In March, a federal task force charged with analyzing the island's status supported creation of a different referendum that would first ask voters if they wanted to be part of the U.S. or become independent. If they chose ties with the U.S., they would be given statehood or the current commonwealth as options. If they opted for independence, they would choose between free association and independence.

The Aug. 12 vote also would coincide with a constitutional amendment proposal to shrink the size of Puerto Rico's legislature by more than 25 percent.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Well, at least states like Mississippi and Alabama will be able to look down on an even shittier state.  I don't think it'll pass though.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I thought they did this every decade or so?  If they do vote for statehood then I imagine we'll have to buy all new flags.  Then Guam will want in.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

There's no sacred rule that says the flag would have to change.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grinning_Colossus

This is silly. There can only be an even number of states. If PR gets in, we need to amalgamate all the remaining miscellaneous shitty territories into a single state. The capital can be whatever the capital of Guam is, and it can be the slave state.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 04, 2011, 11:20:20 PM
This is silly. There can only be an even number of states. If PR gets in, we need to amalgamate all the remaining miscellaneous shitty territories into a single state. The capital can be whatever the capital of Guam is, and it can be the slave state.

That is why we refused to let Rhode Island join there for awhile.  12 just seemed right.

Of course The Star Spangled Banner had 15 stars :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grinning_Colossus

That's different. We didn't have a choice in the beginning.  :P Anyway, we added those boozy Vermonters as soon as their own crappy country crapped out.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Eddie Teach

51 works out pretty easily as far as the flag is concerned. 17 x 3, so you have alternating rows of 8 and 9 stars.

I say we let them in just as soon as their primary schools start conducting their classes in English.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?