Puerto Rico governor to submit status referendum

Started by jimmy olsen, October 04, 2011, 09:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Puerto Rico Become the 51st State?

Statehood
19 (63.3%)
Status Quo
3 (10%)
Sovereign Free Association
0 (0%)
Independence
8 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Josquius

No more than 50 states allowed!
Merge the Dakotas first if this is to occur please.

Quote51 works out pretty easily as far as the flag is concerned. 17 x 3, so you have alternating rows of 8 and 9 stars.

Shame, I really prefer the circular version

QuoteI thought they did this every decade or so?  If they do vote for statehood then I imagine we'll have to buy all new flags.  Then Guam will want in.
Nice bit of economic stimulus for the textiles and printing industries!
██████
██████
██████

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grinning_Colossus

I actually like that flag quite a bit. It resembles the Betsy Ross flag and suggests that we've come full circle (ha-ha-ha).
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 05, 2011, 08:15:01 AM
How big is PR's debt?
Probably a drop in the bucket of the debt the US already has.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

dps

Quote from: HVC on October 05, 2011, 10:40:10 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 05, 2011, 08:15:01 AM
How big is PR's debt?
Probably a drop in the bucket of the debt the US already has.

My understanding is that their government budget is actually in pretty decent shape.  But as a territory, they get a bunch of money from the federal government that they might not get as a state.  OTOH, maybe they still would get it anyway  Their overall economy isn't in good shape at all, so...

Razgovory

What do they pay in taxes down there?  I was under the impression they had a smaller tax burden do to their status.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

I voted Statehood but any of the three choices seems a good change from the status quo now. I think I'd like to see PR become a State though.

crazy canuck

Don't American school children already have enough trouble remembering 50 States?

Grinning_Colossus

Per capita GDP is ~24,000 -- which is higher than I thought, but still about 12k less than Mississippi's. The Gini coefficient is much worse than the mainland's, though.  PR state would the the recipient of a *lot* of federal entitlement spending.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Fate

Plus two more blue senators would help prevent the Senate from falling under the destructive influence of the Tea Party.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)