Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 01:37:08 PM
Fair enough.  I start from the assumption that teacher producitivity is more or less constant across all states and conclude that teachers in unionized states are overpaid based on the salary differential between those states and right to work states.
What kind of an assumption is that?  :wacko:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 27, 2012, 01:49:00 PM

Don't Raz out on me.  If you have some reason to suppose that average teacher productivity in union states is on the order of 40% higher than in right to work states, spit it out.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 01:37:08 PM
Fair enough.  I start from the assumption that teacher producitivity is more or less constant across all states and conclude that teachers in unionized states are overpaid based on the salary differential between those states and right to work states.

Yi that makes about as much sense as when you told me that basic foodstuffs don't cost different prices in different places.  Where's the factoring in of differences in living costs - or are you just saying the average of salaries across unionized states vs. average across right to work states?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 01:51:52 PM

Don't Raz out on me.  If you have some reason to suppose that average teacher productivity in union states is on the order of 40% higher than in right to work states, spit it out.
For one, the large disparity in test results between states.  For all we know, maybe Mississippi teachers are just as productive as Massachusetts teachers, and some other factor is entirely responsible for the difference, but that wouldn't exactly be my starting assumption.

crazy canuck

Yi, I am not sure how you are thinking about productivity but the socio-economic conditions of the students they teach probably have a signficant impact on "productivity" by any measure one might consider.  I doubt that all States have uniform socio-economic conditions.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 01:51:52 PM

Nice of you to bring me up. Why not assume that non unionized employees are under-payed?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 27, 2012, 02:00:10 PM
For one, the large disparity in test results between states.  For all we know, maybe Mississippi teachers are just as productive as Massachusetts teachers, and some other factor is entirely responsible for the difference, but that wouldn't exactly be my starting assumption.

Why not?  As crazy canuck pointed out socioeconomic differences are a major driver.  Compare apples and apples.  Iowa and Wisconsin have very similar demographics, yet Wisconsin teachers average 73K while Iowa teachers average 45K.  Do you really think Wisconsin teachers are 62% more productive than Iowa teachers?

Raz: your question has already been answered.  Right to work states are not having noticeable difficulty in filling teaching positions.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on September 27, 2012, 10:43:59 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2012, 08:22:35 AM
Who are the posters here who are staunch defenders of cops? :huh:
That would be me. :)
And me.  Spraying malcontents with poison?  This guy is a hero.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 02:54:49 PM

Raz: your question has already been answered.  Right to work states are not having noticeable difficulty in filling teaching positions.

Lots of states are having difficulty filling teaching positions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

States such as Georgia, Japan, China and South Korea.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2012, 03:15:21 PM
Lots of states are having difficulty filling teaching positions.

Depends on the type of position.  High level math and science teachers are hard to come by since people with those skills usually have better opportunities.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."