Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on September 27, 2012, 11:28:41 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 27, 2012, 09:42:38 AM
As bad as most public employee unions are, police unions have to go right at the top of the list.  They don't just extort higher wages and perks, they also further corruption that's ultimately a conspiracy against the public. 

Ed's gonna make another Slavic crack at you.
What for?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 11:42:01 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2012, 08:10:57 AM
You see his salary?  And you people bitch about fucking teachers' unions.

Which one is it Seedy: teachers' salaries too low or cops' salaries too high?

I say cut 'em all.  And don't forget the military.
I think that in the case of cops, efficiency wages may actually not be a bad thing.  You don't necessarily want the market to just clear when it comes to law enforcement.  The trick is that the people that should be weeded out are the ones who should never be entrusted with a gun and a badge, not the ones who are too far back in line or don't have the necessary connections.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2012, 11:43:15 AM
Race to the bottom baby.

When the status quo is an artificial floor on pay a race to the bottom is exactly what you want.

Razgovory

Okay, then maybe you should do your part and ask your boss for a pay cut.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 11:56:18 AM
Race to the bottom baby.

When the status quo is an artificial floor on pay a race to the bottom is exactly what you want.

Not really.  Society is better served by having high paying jobs.  But it is probably necessary right now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2012, 12:03:07 PM
Okay, then maybe you should do your part and ask your boss for a pay cut.

Do the one about media bias = consipiracy theory next.  That one always shuts me up.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2012, 12:04:22 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 11:56:18 AM
Race to the bottom baby.

Not really.  Society is better served by having high paying jobs.  But it is probably necessary right now.

Because if everyone is paid highly, the price of goods will stay low?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

No, I'll save that till when you when are flailing around uselessly to a terminal degree.  Seriously though, why do you resent people getting paid money?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2012, 12:04:22 PM

Yes really.  Society is better served by having high paying jobs for which the pay is a function of high productivity.  It is not served by overpaying. 

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2012, 12:11:43 PM
Because if everyone is paid highly, the price of goods will stay low?

The price of goods, at least the ones people need like fuel, housing, education, food are not staying low.  Meanwhile wages are stagnating and decreasing.  I think this is a problem.  Further I said society benefits from high paying jobs, more money out there to consume goods and drive the economy.  I did not say everybody should be highly paid.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 12:14:30 PM
Yes really.  Society is better served by having high paying jobs for which the pay is a function of high productivity.  It is not served by overpaying. 

I agree.  But if private sector wages were not so low the public sector ones would not necessarily be overpaid.  But pay is not established by high productivity they are dictated by the labor market.  If wages went up when productivity went up we should be having historic highs of real wages.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2012, 12:12:48 PM
No, I'll save that till when you when are flailing around uselessly to a terminal degree.  Seriously though, why do you resent people getting paid money?

Perhaps the answer lies in the manner in which the people go about the business of getting paid.  Criminal gangs who sell protection services are getting paid money.  Bureaucrats who take bribes are getting paid money.  Thiefs, con artists, lawmakers who sell votes, poachers, sex slavers, the list of people who I resent for getting paid money is virtually limitless.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2012, 12:32:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2012, 12:12:48 PM

Perhaps the answer lies in the manner in which the people go about the business of getting paid.  Criminal gangs who sell protection services are getting paid money.  Bureaucrats who take bribes are getting paid money.  Thiefs, con artists, lawmakers who sell votes, poachers, sex slavers, the list of people who I resent for getting paid money is virtually limitless.

Before I jump to some conclusion, what is your point?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2012, 12:28:58 PM
I agree.  But if private sector wages were not so low the public sector ones would not necessarily be overpaid.  But pay is not established by high productivity they are dictated by the labor market.  If wages went up when productivity went up we should be having historic highs of real wages.

Labor productivity factors into the labor market.  The old shibboleth about workers not enjoying the benefits of increasing productivity overlooks the fact that increasing productivity in the modern age is largely a function of computerization of the work place.  Economics predicts that if a worker increases his output with a fixed amount of capital the benefits of the increased productivity should accrue to the worker.

Admiral Yi