Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/occupy-wall-street-members-making-brooklyn-economic-hub-article-1.1075082

QuoteOccupy Wall Street members making Brooklyn their economic hub

Occupy Wall Street protesters may be marching for change in Manhattan, but they're making money in Brooklyn.

More than a dozen savvy OWS entrepreneurs have opened a printing shop, a T-shirt operation and a tech venture - all running coop style without a boss.

"OWS has different sides. There are the kids who drum all day and piss people off. But we are trying to show people that a democratic economy can work," said Dale Luce, 25, cofounder of OccuCopy print shop at 388 Atlantic Avenue.

Two of the businesses got their start last fall in Zuccotti Park where OWS set up camp.

Now, the budding businesses are based on or near trendy Atlantic Avenue in Boerum Hill with more in the works - many stashing cash aside to loan to other start-ups.

"I see twelve other businesses that can spring up," said Darrell Prince, 35 who launched a tech coop on the floor above OccuCopy and is working with six other techies.

"We are trying to save up money for them too. We are building that into costs," said Prince who hopes to land a lucrative contract with an upstate hotel asking for a revamped reservation system.

"At least 25 % of our profits should go to starting other businesses."

OccuCopy biggest client is OWS. The General Assembly - OWS's governing body - signed off on thousands of dollars since December so Luce, and his staff of six, can churn out posters, fliers, stickers, and buttons for the mass protests which have flooded Manhattan streets.

Luce has spent close to $11,000 on a slew of printers, a cutter, and a dye press, hoping to start paying his still volunteer crew "a living wage" before doling out loans to others.

OccuCopy has also done contract work for other left leaning groups like commuter advocacy nonprofit Transportation Alternatives.

"There are certain criteria," said OccuCopy cofounder Sergio Jimenez, 25, explaining that OWS businesses are picky about which clients to choose, snubbing corporations.

Julie Goldsmith and her t-shirt making friends were a big hit at Zuccotti with their tops sporting images like Guy Fawkes mask - from the movie "V For Vendetta - and Rich Uncle Pennybags, the Monopoly game mascot.

Now the group has formed OWS Screenprint Coop on Bergen Street amd charge $5 a shirt plus donations for labor.

"They can push us out of (Zuccotti) Park," said Goldsmith, 29, "but we have to start leading by example.

Brooklyn is a community of independent artists, and there is a need to create some roots in this movement."

Different note, I heard that some OWS types rioted on my home street in SF last Tuesday. Took out some glass windows of small business fronts. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

"Occupy Boerum Hill" doesn't quite have the same ring . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

It's sad when soldiers don't know they've lost the fight.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: HVC on May 09, 2012, 03:52:25 PM
It's sad when soldiers don't know they've lost the fight.
Like some of the Japanese soldiers discovered decades after The Big One these guys just kinda linger on.,
PDH!

KRonn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 09, 2012, 03:48:26 PM

I think they're just pissing off the 99% now. OWS needs a coherent message, and some better slogans! And some cool flags would help!   :swiss:

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on May 09, 2012, 08:09:56 PM

I think they're just pissing off the 99% now. OWS needs a coherent message, and some better slogans! And some cool flags would help!   :swiss:

At this point it would probably be best if they re-formed under a different name.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2012, 08:33:31 PM

At this point it would probably be best if they re-formed under a different name.

Occupy Washington DC!   :cool:

Razgovory

They never had a coherent message and they are incapable of creating one.  They are just ab a bunch of goofy malcontents.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Now!
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

OWS needs a coherent message, and some better slogans! And some cool flags would help!   :swiss:

"Liberté, égalité, fraternité" would do the trick.  And a shitload of guillotines.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2012, 09:43:48 PM
OWS needs a coherent message, and some better slogans! And some cool flags would help!   :swiss:

"Liberté, égalité, fraternité" would do the trick.  And a shitload of guillotines.

I don't understand why you are so quick to sell out your nation. Americans aren't 18th century heathens who have yet to recognize the superiority of English.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2012, 09:49:00 PM
I don't understand why you are so quick to sell out your nation. Americans aren't 18th century heathens who have yet to recognize the superiority of English.

Because my nation is predominantly populated by morons.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2012, 09:56:18 PM

Oh so edgy. You're like a freshman in college.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2012, 10:05:39 PM

What can I say, my idealism has been progressively crushed since Haig '88.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2012, 10:06:37 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2012, 10:05:39 PM

What can I say, my idealism has been progressively crushed since Haig '88.

Well you could say that you endeavor to leave Maryland and move to a real state.