Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

HVC

Quote from: fahdiz on November 07, 2011, 04:32:27 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 07, 2011, 04:28:33 PM
If someone, say, i don't know, me, moved from canada to portland would my 4 years of canadian experience count towards me getting hired in your department? :shifty:

We actually have a hiring freeze at the moment. :(
I thought you were cool man :( :P.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on November 07, 2011, 02:53:41 PM
It's your degree field "Library Sciences"?
I wish I had gotten an MLS.  Librarians make a ton of cash, adn a lot of them don't seem to have to work hard to rake it in either.
PDH!

fhdz

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 07, 2011, 04:37:08 PM
I wish I had gotten an MLS.  Librarians make a ton of cash, adn a lot of them don't seem to have to work hard to rake it in either.

Where exactly do librarians make a ton of cash? And I guess, more importantly, what sum represents a "ton of cash"?

Part of me wishes I'd gotten an MLS too. Some of that coursework would help in the career direction I am exploring.

fhdz

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: fahdiz on November 07, 2011, 04:40:41 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 07, 2011, 04:37:08 PM

Where exactly do librarians make a ton of cash? And I guess, more importantly, what sum represents a "ton of cash"?

Part of me wishes I'd gotten an MLS too. Some of that coursework would help in the career direction I am exploring.

From my experience, the library field is way overcrowded.  My ex-girlfriend got an MLIS at the University of Pittsburgh (one of the better ones, I think), and was working at Borders until she got a job at some Three Stooges archive in suburban Philadelphia, which is pretty cool I suppose.  A lot of her friends didn't have jobs within a year of graduating.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Darth Wagtaros

Ones here at the university star tout at 60-75k/year and just keep acrusing more.  They are tenure-track faculty and there are no pay caps.  Since so many of them have been here forever there are a number topping out at 125k a year or there abouts.  Some in Boston make more.
PDH!

fhdz

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 07, 2011, 04:43:41 PM
she got a job at some Three Stooges archive in suburban Philadelphia

omg best job ever.

fhdz

Ideologue

Quote from: fahdiz on November 07, 2011, 04:32:27 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 07, 2011, 04:28:33 PM
If someone, say, i don't know, me, moved from canada to portland would my 4 years of canadian experience count towards me getting hired in your department? :shifty:

We actually have a hiring freeze at the moment. :(

I think freezing would be a good investment.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Well, it seems that they're going to send in the Cossacks to disperse the Vancouver occupation.  I approve.  Hopefully many hippies are slashed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: fahdiz on November 07, 2011, 04:48:14 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 07, 2011, 04:43:41 PM
she got a job at some Three Stooges archive in suburban Philadelphia

omg best job ever.

Except for the being knocked over by a ladder bit.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

fhdz