Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 18, 2011, 11:33:05 AM
Thank you for pointing that out. Would you like some champagne with your organic pork?

Yeah sorry I didn't notice this thread had gone in a completely insane direction.  Are the protestors eating dogs or something?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Interesting that Obama likened the Occupy crew to the Tea Partiers. He didn't say it dismissively but I wonder how each group will feel.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2011, 08:15:13 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 18, 2011, 11:33:05 AM
Thank you for pointing that out. Would you like some champagne with your organic pork?

Yeah sorry I didn't notice this thread had gone in a completely insane direction.  Are the protestors eating dogs or something?

They are probably against that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 18, 2011, 11:35:08 AM
Perhaps another difference between Toronto and Vancouver.  organic grass fed non medicated meat is fairly plentiful and reasonably priced around here.

You will never convince the ignoramuses that have gotten so used to fatty but flavorless beef from corn-fed hormone-juiced cows in pens that they don't know any better.  It is a ridiculous situation driven by crazy farm policies that encourage massive over-production of corn, and so everything from breakfast foods to candy to animal feed to plastic bags to gasoline has to be crammed full of corn and corn by-products.  North American tastes have become so dulled that when actually confronted by a quality piece of meat that has real texture and flavot, many people reject it because it doesn't accord with their expectation of something fatty and bland, and because it actually requires teeth to chew.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 19, 2011, 01:13:59 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 18, 2011, 11:35:08 AM
Perhaps another difference between Toronto and Vancouver.  organic grass fed non medicated meat is fairly plentiful and reasonably priced around here.

You will never convince the ignoramuses that have gotten so used to fatty but flavorless beef from corn-fed hormone-juiced cows in pens that they don't know any better.  It is a ridiculous situation driven by crazy farm policies that encourage massive over-production of corn, and so everything from breakfast foods to candy to animal feed to plastic bags to gasoline has to be crammed full of corn and corn by-products.  North American tastes have become so dulled that when actually confronted by a quality piece of meat that has real texture and flavot, many people reject it because it doesn't accord with their expectation of something fatty and bland, and because it actually requires teeth to chew.

Huh? That ain't the issue. Pretty well everyone I know prefers the taste of "organic" meat, but it is, at least here in Ontario, more expensive - perhaps because of the policies favouring corn or whatever. The trade-off is cost versus quality.

What CC is saying is that in BC "organic" isn't much more expensive, and Jacob says it's cheaper. Dunno how that works, but that's what they are saying.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 19, 2011, 01:25:13 PM
Huh? That ain't the issue. Pretty well everyone I know prefers the taste of "organic" meat, but it is, at least here in Ontario, more expensive - perhaps because of the policies favouring corn or whatever. The trade-off is cost versus quality.

What CC is saying is that in BC "organic" isn't much more expensive, and Jacob says it's cheaper. Dunno how that works, but that's what they are saying.

Methinks JR had in mind Neil's comment that all meat is organic.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 19, 2011, 01:28:58 PM

While it may be a silly choice of term, it has come to represent a standard, sort of like the Kosher system.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/orgbio/stainte.shtml

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 19, 2011, 01:33:55 PM

While it may be a silly choice of term, it has come to represent a standard, sort of like the Kosher system.

Yes, I undertand you are on the plain language side of the debate but this is a very good example of the harm such nonsense can cause.  There is no way in hell a factory farmed piece of anything tastes as good or is as beneficial as its organic counterpart and yet people like Neil will insist there is really no difference - after all aren't they all organic?

Barrister

To be fair, Neil lives in Alberta.  I've known many a rancher out here.  My brother in law has cattle (though he does it on the side, his day job is working as a push on a rig).  I've never heard of meat from "corn-fed hormone-juiced cows in pens".  When I drive through the countryside I see tons of cows standing around in fields.  So when I go out and buy a piece of organic meat from the local farmers market, there really isn't much difference between it and what you get at the grocery store.

I could see there being a substantial difference in a place like NYC, but not in Alberta.

[Now that being said, there is a huge difference between locally grown produce, and something shipped from California or South America, which is the reason I go to the farmers market in the first place]
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 19, 2011, 01:38:00 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 19, 2011, 01:33:55 PM

Yes, I undertand you are on the plain language side of the debate but this is a very good example of the harm such nonsense can cause.  There is no way in hell a factory farmed piece of anything tastes as good or is as beneficial as its organic counterpart and yet people like Neil will insist there is really no difference - after all aren't they all organic?

I'm sort of scratching my head here.

The problem seems to lie in the use, no doubt for marketing purposes, of a somewhat confusing moniker for what is in reality a quality control certification system.

If people are confused by the term, why is it the fault of those advocating "plain language", rather than (say) those advocating use of the confusing term?

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on October 19, 2011, 01:25:13 PMWhat CC is saying is that in BC "organic" isn't much more expensive, and Jacob says it's cheaper. Dunno how that works, but that's what they are saying.

It's not cheaper everywhere. It's just that I know of this one butcher whose primary business is supplying high end restaurants. They're only open Fri-Sat for retail customers, but their prices are equal to or lower than what I'm paying for non-organic meat at IGA (a mid tier supermarket). Certainly, organic is much more expensive if I buy it at Whole Foods/ Urban Fare (up market supermarkets) or the quaint little organic themed stores you find. Similarly, if I buy the value packs at No Frills etc I can probably get some things cheaper than at the butcher in question (especially if I wait for a sale).

In general the rule is that organic and free range is more expensive than medicated and factory farmed, just like Ontario. But there are places where you can get a really good product for a really good price.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 19, 2011, 01:38:00 PM
I live in Alberta.  I would have a hard time finding factory-farmed meat, so I don't have much to say about it.  Move somewhere decent, you godless heathen, and maybe you can eat right too.

What I do have to say is that champagne from California is still champagne.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Does anyone know how much it costs to adopt a dog from the pound?  Do they have a limit on the number of dogs you can adopt per day?  I'm brainstorming a possible business venture.   :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 19, 2011, 02:17:21 PM
Does anyone know how much it costs to adopt a dog from the pound?  Do they have a limit on the number of dogs you can adopt per day?  I'm brainstorming a possible business venture.   :hmm:

Hear at least you have to pay for shots when you take them out of the pound.  It's like 100 bucks.  Best bet it to kidnap peoples pets.  You should team up with Mono on this.  "Wacky Accent Guys Mystery Meat stand!"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

The first time I had corn-fed beef was in Nova Scotia. My first thought was that someone had found a moose.