Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on October 18, 2011, 12:55:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 18, 2011, 11:35:49 AM
Quote from: Caliga on October 18, 2011, 11:11:02 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 18, 2011, 10:52:13 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 18, 2011, 08:46:56 AM
For the price they charge for organic meat, the damn pig should put on a chef's hat and cook *himself*.  :P

We got a nice butcher not too far from where I live where the organic grass fed meat is less than what you pay for regular stuff at the super market :)
Same.   :cool:  Butcher is also the farmer in my case.
Nice!
You guys used to have someone like that in Vancouver - name of Picton, I believe.

I heard his homemade organic sausages were much cheaper than the crap you get in thge supermarket.
I am amused.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on October 18, 2011, 10:58:04 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 18, 2011, 10:55:17 AMChecked the local feral cat population lately?  :hmm:

These guys supply several high end restaurants. Their meat is really good quality. I'm confident that it's not cat. Alternately, if it is cat then we as a society have been missing out on not eating cat.

I'm not confident that my favorite Chinese restaurant doesn't serve cat.  They have this reddish meat on a stick which I call in my typical uncreative way "Stick  meat".  I dunno what it is.  Maybe it's organic.  It's pretty tasty though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

I think my local Chinese restaurant served me up a case of food poisoning over the weekend, as cliched as it is to blame Chinese food for one's gastrointestinal woes.  Unfortunately, I also suspect my strong/phobic constitution in keeping it down the first night gave me the exciting fever and dysentery-lite that followed.   :glare: :glare:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on October 18, 2011, 11:11:02 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 18, 2011, 10:52:13 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 18, 2011, 08:46:56 AM
For the price they charge for organic meat, the damn pig should put on a chef's hat and cook *himself*.  :P

We got a nice butcher not too far from where I live where the organic grass fed meat is less than what you pay for regular stuff at the super market :)
Same.   :cool:  Butcher is also the farmer in my case.

That must keep him busy to be a butcher, farmer, and operate the gas station.  :P

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 18, 2011, 05:42:08 PM
I think my local Chinese restaurant served me up a case of food poisoning over the weekend, as cliched as it is to blame Chinese food for one's gastrointestinal woes.  Unfortunately, I also suspect my strong/phobic constitution in keeping it down the first night gave me the exciting fever and dysentery-lite that followed.   :glare: :glare:

Never had that problem from my favorite place.  They are cheap and I like their food.  It's like 5 something a pound for take out so you can a lot of food cheap.  It's probably best not ask to many questions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on October 18, 2011, 05:35:24 PM
I'm not confident that my favorite Chinese restaurant doesn't serve cat.  They have this reddish meat on a stick which I call in my typical uncreative way "Stick  meat".  I dunno what it is.  Maybe it's organic.  It's pretty tasty though.
I had a floormate in college who was from Hong Kong and had tried all kinds of different meat we don't usually get to try here.  Here are his ratings, to the best of my recollection:

Cat: :thumbsdown:
Dog: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Armadillo: :thumbsdown:
Anteater: :thumbsdown:
Snake: :thumbsup:
Pangolin: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Monkey: :thumbsup:
Scorpion: :thumbsdown: ("taste like nothing")
Spider: :thumbsdown: ("taste like nothing")
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

There's this homeless guy you see around Jeff City occasionally.  He is always accompanied by his dog.  However, each time it's a different dog.  I think he's eating them. :ph34r:

Caliga

Good for him... according to Wong Wei Fan (the aforementioned guy from college) dog is "delicious".  I'm somewhat curious what dog tastes like in the same way that I'm curious what human tastes like (e.g. curious, but not so much that I'd ever dream of trying it), but I would love to try horse meat for some reason, and will definitely do so if I ever go back to Germany or Belgium or some other place where horse is eaten.  I think Eschweiler is the city in Germany famous for its horse sauerbraten.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Habsburg

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

When Lewis & Clark's expedition was hungry and lazy (or unsuccessful in hunting deer), they would buy dogs off the natives for food.  It was actually one of their preferred meals.  Though the natives thought it was amusing, and would ridicule them for it. 

Gups

Exotic meats I have tried (not counting horse, frogs legs, hare, game birds etc):

Snake
Alligator
Oryx
Zebra
Ostrich

The last was the only one I would seek out again.

Brazen

Quote from: Caliga on October 18, 2011, 08:39:17 PM
t I would love to try horse meat for some reason, and will definitely do so if I ever go back to Germany or Belgium or some other place where horse is eaten.  I think Eschweiler is the city in Germany famous for its horse sauerbraten.
Horse is like very poor quality steak; not as rich-tasting and a bit stringier.

Kangaroo is pretty good, tender but not as red as steak.