Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 09, 2011, 05:26:17 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2011, 05:21:10 PM
Yeah, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.  I don't see those so much as brand names as class items that are suddenly being afforded the status of a protected brand. Artificially introducing authenticity to so many items.
Fair.  I don't think it's artificial for the most part I mean they've been making those pies in that way for a couple of hundred years and similarly with feta and roquefort - some products, interestingly, have decided against going for EU status.  The best example I can think of of something similar in the US is possibly bourbon?  From when I worked in a bar I seem to remember that it had to be made in a certain way, have certain qualities and that some states had additional regulations? :mellow:
That wouldn't be the same thing though.  If the US were to mandate that bourbon can only be made in Louisiana, and that bourbon made elsewhere must be referred to as 'bourbon-style liquor' then that would be the same.  If it's not made properly, then it's not bourbon, but whiskey, so it's more similar to the EU passing a law that you can't say that cheddar cheese is actually mozzarella.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2011, 05:56:39 PM
I sort of like the EU food naming laws.

They sound like protectionism to me, but I don't really care that much.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

They sound like a minor prong of the EU's war on speech.  The U.S. doesn't even protect commercial speech all that well, but I suppose I shouldn't expect the EU to be even as good.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2011, 05:56:39 PM
I sort of like the EU food naming laws.
Aren't you in Iowa?  Any sort of agricultural protection probably puts a smile on your face.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2011, 06:03:17 PM

They help the dissemination of information.  Not that much different from trademark infringement laws.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on October 09, 2011, 06:20:30 PM
Aren't you in Iowa?  Any sort of agricultural protection probably puts a smile on your face.

Be less of a retard Neil.  Iowa exports feed corn and soybeans all around the world.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2011, 06:26:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2011, 06:03:17 PM

They help the dissemination of information.  Not that much different from trademark infringement laws.

Except it's nothing like that at all, since a trademark has to be owned by a discrete person or, in rare cases (like "superhero"*), persons.  Afaik, it can't be owned by a diffuse group of people.  And it would be bad practice to use a generic, merely descriptive mark like "champagne" or "feta."

And, really, even beyond that, where do you stop?  Shall we go get a burrito-style wrapped bean product at the Taco-style Bell?

*Itself a bad example of a merely descriptive trademark, and one that could probably be handily successfully challenged.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on October 09, 2011, 06:37:22 PM
Except it's nothing like that at all, since a trademark has to be owned by a discrete person or, in rare cases (like "superhero"*), persons.  Afaik, it can't be owned by a diffuse group of people.  And it would be bad practice to use a generic, merely descriptive mark like "champagne" or "feta."

And, really, even beyond that, where do you stop?  Shall we go get a burrito-style wrapped bean product at the Taco-style Bell?

*Itself a bad example of a merely descriptive trademark, and one that could probably be handily successfully challenged.

I agree that there still exists the possibility of, say, an unscrupulous sparkling wine producer in Champagne or an unscrupulous hard cheese producer in Parma free riding on the "brand's" name and turning out crap.  Although I think institutions like DOC limit that possibility.

You stop at the point where a food doesn't have an association any more in the consumer's mind with a particular region.  I've never heard of burritos from any particular region enjoying an enhanced reputation.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2011, 06:45:17 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 09, 2011, 06:37:22 PM

I agree that there still exists the possibility of, say, an unscrupulous sparkling wine producer in Champagne or an unscrupulous hard cheese producer in Parma free riding on the "brand's" name and turning out crap.  Although I think institutions like DOC limit that possibility.

You stop at the point where a food doesn't have an association any more in the consumer's mind with a particular region.  I've never heard of burritos from any particular region enjoying an enhanced reputation.

To be honest, before this thread, I had no idea feta was supposed to come from Greece exclusively.  I thought it just meant "goat cheese" (although evidently modern production often uses cow's milk instead; it tastes goaty to me, but maybe that's just the brine), which can be made anywhere you have a goat.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2011, 06:45:17 PM

:blink:

I have. I've heard people talk about San Fransisco-style burritos (when not in SF or mentioning that I lived there) and I think it is pretty well established that Texas and California have preeminence in American style Mexican food.  Should there be a ban on calling food items "Tex Mex" unless they have been made in Texas?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2011, 06:58:42 PM
:blink:

I have. I've heard people talk about San Fransisco-style burritos (when not in SF or mentioning that I lived there) and I think it is pretty well established that Texas and California have preeminence in American style Mexican food.  Should there be a ban on calling food items "Tex Mex" unless they have been made in Texas?

OK, I take back the burrito.  A burrito is a recipe, not the result of artisanal food production techniques.

So the cases of food labelling laws that I favor are those that cover food products where there is a body of producers who uphold quality standards among themselves.  If Kobe beef farmers enforce the requirement that their cows be massaged at least once a week with beer, then some industrial ranch down the road shouldn't be allowed to call their beef Kobe.  The farrmers down the road should feel free to start massaging their cows however they like, enforce their own standards, and start building up the brand of Shiku beef.

The arguments about soil, water, etc. aren't as convincing to me, but there again that should be a decision left up to the consumer.  If you don't think the particular grass in the Parma region make a noticeable difference in the taste of cheese, or doesn't justify the price premium, you're free to buy your hard grated cheese (or in the US, your hard grated cheese food product) somewhere else.  The EU is not requiring that all its residents put only cheese made in Parma on their pasta, it's passing on information.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2011, 07:37:27 PM
So the cases of food labelling laws that I favor are those that cover food products where there is a body of producers who uphold quality standards among themselves.  If Kobe beef farmers enforce the requirement that their cows be massaged at least once a week with beer, then some industrial ranch down the road shouldn't be allowed to call their beef Kobe.  The farrmers down the road should feel free to start massaging their cows however they like, enforce their own standards, and start building up the brand of Shiku beef.

The arguments about soil, water, etc. aren't as convincing to me, but there again that should be a decision left up to the consumer.  If you don't think the particular grass in the Parma region make a noticeable difference in the taste of cheese, or doesn't justify the price premium, you're free to buy your hard grated cheese (or in the US, your hard grated cheese food product) somewhere else.  The EU is not requiring that all its residents put only cheese made in Parma on their pasta, it's passing on information.

Except that why are certain small enclaves given the ability to determine what will and will not fall under a particular name? Now that I know Parmigiano-Reggiano is one of these items - I think it even more ridiculous. That and its various "imitations" constitute one of the most popular cheeses.

What information is the EU passing on? Simply that and particular set of customs/locales have been designated as the official brand?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2011, 07:45:25 PM
Except that why are certain small enclaves given the ability to determine what will and will not fall under a particular name? Now that I know Parmigiano-Reggiano is one of these items - I think it even more ridiculous. That and its various "imitations" constitute one of the most popular cheeses.

What information is the EU passing on? Simply that and particular set of customs/locales have been designated as the official brand?

It's not any more ridiculous than allowing a limited number of shareholders to dictate to the world which computers can be labelled Macs or which carbonated beverages can be called Coca Cola.

The EU is passing on to the consumer is that the product he's buying is made in a certain location and maintains a certain quality standard.