Iran plans to send ships close to US waters: report

Started by jimmy olsen, September 27, 2011, 06:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

:hmm: This seems unwise.

http://www.france24.com/en/20110927-iran-plans-send-ships-close-us-waters-report
Iran plans to send ships close to US waters: report
A handout picture release by the official Iranian press agency IRNA shows an Iranian support warship docked at the Syrian port of Latakia, February 2011. Iran's navy is going to deploy ships close to US territorial waters, its commander in chief was quoted as saying on Tuesday.

"As the global oppression (the US) is present not far from our maritime border ... our navy is going to have a strong presence not far from US territorial waters," the Irna news agency quoted Admiral Habibollah Sayyari as saying.

On July 19 Sayyari also said that Iran was going to send "a flotilla into the Atlantic".

The remarks come as another high-ranking Iranian appeared to reject a recent US request to establish a "red phone" link between the countries to avoid unwanted confrontation between their armed forces in the Gulf region.

"When we are in the Gulf of Mexico, we will establish direct contact with the United States," Ali Fadavi, commander of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy, was quoted in press reports as saying.

"In the view of the Islamic Republic of Iran, the presence of the US in the Persian Gulf is illegitimate and makes no sense."

The Iranian navy has been developing its presence in international waters since last year, regularly launching vessels in the Indian Ocean and the Gulf of Aden to protect Iranian ships from Somali pirates operating in the area.

Iran also sent two ships into the Mediterranean for the first time in February, via the Suez Canal, to the annoyance of Israel and the United States.

And in July, leaders announced that a Kilo class submarine had completed an inaugural mission in the southern Indian Ocean and the Red Sea.
Click here to find out more!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Scipio

Dude, seriously?

I'll bring my fucking bass boat out there with my deer rifle, and cap the lot of them backwoods fishers.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Neil

The US should simply declare that any Iranian ship in the Atlantic will be seen as an attack on the US by the Iranians, which will be countered by a full nuclear strike.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Josquius

Their logic makes sense.
But a silly, pointless move nonetheless.
██████
██████
██████

Zoupa

Neil

Quote from: Zoupa on September 27, 2011, 07:04:42 PM
I'm sure the Chiefs are shitting their pants.  :lol:
They'll probably capsize their own ships when they all run to the same side of the ship to pray towards Mecca.  Fucking Iranians are even stupider than the Chinese.

These guys wouldn't even scare the Charlestown Chiefs.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

This sounds like provocation.  Whom does it profit? :hmm:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Razgovory

I thought I posted in this thread.  Oh, well.  If the Iranians want to do stupid things, who are we to stop them?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Grallon on September 27, 2011, 07:28:41 PM

G.

It will benefit IRGCN officers, who will likely sell all the supplies and spare parts for this.
It will also allow Iranian politicians to 'demonstrate' that they are 'standing up to the man'.
Preaching to the already-converted, and annoying everybody else.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

dps

Quote from: Grallon on September 27, 2011, 07:28:41 PM

I'd say it's either being done for Iranian domestic political reasons, or because the Iranian leadership really is batshit insane.

Legally, of course, they have the right to send units of their navy anywhere they want in international waters.  I have severe doubts about their ability to actually logistically support a flotilla that far from their home waters, without help from someone.  I suspect the U.S. intelligence services will be watching very closely to see who, if anyone, helps them. 

Chavez and Castro, of course, would be the prime suspects in this hemisphere, but I'm not sure the Iranians can even get their ships to where Cuba or Venezuela could help resupply them without another source of aid.

AnchorClanker

The Iranians are many things, but insane is not one of them.  They generally make 'rational' decisions, considering their views.  Of course, we usually disagree with them, but that is not a sign of insanity.  This is for interal consumption, mostly.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Razgovory

Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 27, 2011, 07:49:55 PM
The Iranians are many things, but insane is not one of them.  They generally make 'rational' decisions, considering their views.  Of course, we usually disagree with them, but that is not a sign of insanity.  This is for interal consumption, mostly.

It might be a test to see if they can actually pull it off.  They may have dreams of getting basing rights in Cuba or Venezuela and they want to see if they can sail out that far with out the ships sinking.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 27, 2011, 07:49:55 PM

I agree.  I just mentioned insanity in the context that there's little sane justification for a stunt like this except for domestic political consumption.