News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Polio Returns to China

Started by jimmy olsen, September 26, 2011, 10:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on September 27, 2011, 12:49:37 AM
I don't blame him.  After that long away, Venice probably seemed kind of boring.

That is how I read the thread title... :D

Malthus

I don't blame him.  After that long away, Venice probably seemed kind of boring.

:lol:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2011, 05:49:58 AM
Hey, if they don't want to give their kids vaccines, that's on them, and thanks for doing their part in the population boom. Honestly, the earth could use the help.

Wrong - the danger is that the diseases in question continue to thrive and mutate until resistant strains develop.
These nutters are menace to the general public.   That a supposedly serious Presidential candidate is promoting such nonsense is horrifying.  At least Rick Perry's rain dances don't harm anyone.

Though if personal experience is a valid source of knowledge, I guess Bachmann should know a thing or two about mental retardation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

I thought that Bachmann's numbers had collapsed and that she's no longer in 'serious' territory?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2011, 12:51:35 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 26, 2011, 11:10:35 PM
Won't be long before it returns to America, thanks to Bachmann and other anti-vaccine idiots.

This is a very frighting thought.  I honestly can't believe the anti-vaccine crowd has gotten mainstream.
What do you expect?  If you're going to vaccinate a whole lot of people, you have to expect a whole lot of people to be retarded.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 27, 2011, 05:34:01 PM
Won't be long before it returns to America, thanks to Bachmann and other anti-vaccine idiots.

This is a very frighting thought.  I honestly can't believe the anti-vaccine crowd has gotten mainstream.
What do you expect?  If you're going to vaccinate a whole lot of people, you have to expect a whole lot of people to be retarded.

When Bachman told the story about how a mother thought her daughter became retarded from the cervical cancer vaccine, my thought ears perked up really quick.  Although, I'm not a doctor or medical student that sounded impossible.  Unless the vaccine was administered through a heavy blow to the head.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 27, 2011, 05:02:58 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2011, 05:49:58 AM
Hey, if they don't want to give their kids vaccines, that's on them, and thanks for doing their part in the population boom. Honestly, the earth could use the help.

Wrong - the danger is that the diseases in question continue to thrive and mutate until resistant strains develop.

I'll defer to your statement, as epidemiology falls within your relevant Jew KSAs.
In addition to your legal acumen, I'll also accept your posts on dentistry.

citizen k

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2011, 08:30:46 PMI'll defer to your statement, as epidemiology falls within your relevant Jew KSAs.

... and accounting and Hollywood scriptwriting.

dps

These nutters are menace to the general public.   That a supposedly serious Presidential candidate is promoting such nonsense is horrifying. 

Agree, though I still don't consider her a serious candidate.  But, at this point in 1991, I wouldn't have considered Bill Clinton a serious candidate, either.

Fate

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 27, 2011, 05:55:35 AM
The polio vaccine is usually administered orally, so not as memorable as some other vaccinations.
Not necessarily. In 3rd world countries the oral (live, attenuated) version is used, but in countries where polio is no longer endemic the injectable (killed) version is preferred. The UK discontinued use of the oral version in 2004. The US has been using the injectable form for quite a long time.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Fate on September 27, 2011, 10:20:38 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 27, 2011, 05:55:35 AM
The polio vaccine is usually administered orally, so not as memorable as some other vaccinations.
Not necessarily. In 3rd world countries the oral (live, attenuated) version is used, but in countries where polio is no longer endemic the injectable (killed) version is preferred. The UK discontinued use of the oral version in 2004. The US has been using the injectable form for quite a long time.

Ok.

Scipio

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2011, 05:50:47 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 27, 2011, 05:34:01 PM

When Bachman told the story about how a mother thought her daughter became retarded from the cervical cancer vaccine, my thought ears perked up really quick.  Although, I'm not a doctor or medical student that sounded impossible.  Unless the vaccine was administered through a heavy blow to the head.
My first thought was, if the vaccine is only administered to females 9 years of age and older, and her daughter suddenly developed mental retardation AT AGE 9 immediately after the vaccine was administered, then, holy shit, that's a scientific anti-miracle.  Like developing a congenital heart defect at age 50.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on September 27, 2011, 09:19:14 PM

These nutters are menace to the general public.   That a supposedly serious Presidential candidate is promoting such nonsense is horrifying.

Agree, though I still don't consider her a serious candidate.  But, at this point in 1991, I wouldn't have considered Bill Clinton a serious candidate, either.

Well she did make Perry apologize for it, so she is certainly affecting serious candidates.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Camerus

:yes:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2011, 08:30:46 PM
I'll defer to your statement, as epidemiology falls within your relevant Jew KSAs.

:D
Of course, my father was a dentist.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson