jimmy olsen

Very bad news :(

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/08/polio-returns-china/

Borders are Irrelevant: Polio Returns to China

* By Maryn McKenna Email Author
    * August 29, 2011  |
    * 3:30 pm  |
    * Categories: Science Blogs, Superbug

Very bad news from China, as reported by Xinhua and confirmed by the World Health Organization: For the first time in 12 years, polio paralysis has surfaced in China. Four children, the oldest 2 years old, were diagnosed with polio in mid-July. They all live in Hotan prefecture in Xinjiang province (by weird coincidence, also the site of the latest Chinese food-safety scandal).

The generally accepted math, in polio detection, is that one verified case of polio paralysis represents up to 200 cases of silent infection. Those 200 undetected cases may not experience symptoms, but they can pass on the disease to others. As a result, one case of polio in an area that has been considered polio-free is an emergency. Four cases, as you can imagine, is much worse.

The WHO and Global Polio Eradication Initiative say that the virus in the four children has been sequenced, and is closely related to poliovirus type 1 that is currently circulating in Pakistan. Pakistan is one of the four countries where circulation of poliovirus has never been interrupted.

Here's what the area looks like (map adapted from this one); the green area is Xinjiang province and the red is Hotan prefecture. (Yes, I admit it, I suck at Photoshop. Cut me some slack, this is breaking news.) The important point on this map is that three of the four countries where polio virus continues to circulate freely — Nigeria, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India — share borders with Xinjiang province. Two of them, Pakistan and India, border directly on Hotan. (Exactly where India's border with Xinjiang falls is a matter of long-standing dispute.)

The conclusion is very clear — the indispensible listserv ProMED made it explicit — that this infection was carried over the border from Pakistan into China. ProMED suggests that polio may have been circulating in the area for at least two years before being detected via these new cases.

There are micro and macro meanings to this development, and none of them are good.

At the micro level: Of the four endemic countries, Pakistan is considered the most problematic, because it shares not only the biological barriers that make eradication difficult in neighboring India, but also profound political unrest. But Xinjiang is an area of political unrest too; it is 45 percent Uighur, the Muslim ethnic group who have been pressing for independence from China. In 2009, the province rioted and the riots were brutally suppressed; sporadic violence continues there, most recently a few weeks ago. The Chinese government considers the area "under terrorist threat" from the separatist movement, and last week announced a 2-month crackdown on political activity and also on communication with the outside world. In other words, the area where polio has reappeared is in the midst of conditions in which access to health care for speedy diagnosis, and also free communication with public health authorities, are likely to be impeded.

At the macro level: Most of the increased incidence in polio infection now is not in the four endemic countries, but in other countries which those four are causing to be reinfected. This has happened repeatedly in Africa; worldwide, of the 333 polio cases so far this year, 222 have been in areas where polio transmission had been interrupted but that then were reinfected. (The WHO's current tally is here, but they do not use static links, so at some point the numbers behind that link will change.) Just about a month ago, an independent monitoring board said that reinfections of formerly cleared areas are one of the most pressing challenges facing the 23-year eradication initiative.

China is a formerly cleared area: Its last indigenous case was in 1994, and its very last case — imported that time from India — was in 1999. That importation was quelled by wholesale vaccination. The Chinese government has announced more of the same this time: Between now and the middle of September, it plans to immunize 4.5 million children in Hotan and neighboring prefectures.  But if the borders of western China are as porous as these four cases suggest, then China and the international eradication effort will have a substantial and dismaying new challenge on their hands.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Won't be long before it returns to America, thanks to Bachmann and other anti-vaccine idiots.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ideologue

I don't blame him.  After that long away, Venice probably seemed kind of boring.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 26, 2011, 11:10:35 PM
Won't be long before it returns to America, thanks to Bachmann and other anti-vaccine idiots.

This is a very frighting thought.  I honestly can't believe the anti-vaccine crowd has gotten mainstream.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on September 27, 2011, 12:49:37 AM
I don't blame him.  After that long away, Venice probably seemed kind of boring.

:mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2011, 12:51:35 AM

This is a very frighting thought.  I honestly can't believe the anti-vaccine crowd has gotten mainstream.

Hey, they are just listening to their bodies.

11B4V

"I will tell you that I had a mother last night come up to me here in Tampa, Fla., after the debate. She told me that her little daughter took that vaccine, that injection, and she suffered from mental retardation thereafter," Bachmann said.

She continued: "The mother was crying what she came up to me last night. I didn't know who she was before the debate. This is the very real concern and people have to draw their own conclusions."

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Brazen

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2011, 12:51:35 AM

It's terrifying reading on other forums how many parents are dodging vaccines. "It's all right, we're home-schooling." That's OK then, they'll be crippled idiots.

CountDeMoney

Hey, if they don't want to give their kids vaccines, that's on them, and thanks for doing their part in the population boom. Honestly, the earth could use the help.

As for China: :nelson: overrated trogs, still living in the 19th century, regardless of how well the coast is doing.

Ideologue

I don't remember ever getting a polio vaccination; I thought they were discontinued, but I may be thinking of smallpox.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 27, 2011, 05:52:42 AM
I don't remember ever getting a polio vaccination; I thought they were discontinued, but I may be thinking of smallpox.

Yeah, smallpox went out of fashion in the late '60s, early '70s.  Polio vaccines were still going strong even with your shitty generation.

Richard Hakluyt

The polio vaccine is usually administered orally, so not as memorable as some other vaccinations.

Brazen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 27, 2011, 05:55:35 AM
The polio vaccine is usually administered orally, so not as memorable as some other vaccinations.
Don't know about you, but I found being encouraged to eat a sugar cube by a doctor very memorable :)

My next door neighbour growing up was crippled through contracting polio as a child. It's really rather unpleasant.

PDH

Thank god I am a child of the 1960s. I got vaccinated for everything: polio, small pox, whooping cough, aids, dancing mullato syphillus, even including radiation if I remember correctly.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

It's hard to feel bad for them, given that they're our enemies.

As for the anti-vaccine people, their kids should be taken from them and they should be executed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.