And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones Genesis

Started by Tamas, September 26, 2011, 11:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2011, 02:13:23 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 27, 2011, 02:08:43 AM
Cyanide also made Blood Bowl, which is great.

But I can't see how this one will not suck.

The trailer I saw didn't impress me.  It looked a bit like Rise of Nations, which I thought was only fair.

Yes the trailer did not show anything Dune 2 couldn't produce (graphics aside of course). Namely, units moving around. Big deal.

Razgovory

Since it appears to be an RTS game, I'm guessing from the screen shots it's a like Rise of Nations (which combined Civilization style city building with Warcraft style RTS action.  I like RTS games, but I'm not really good at the twitch reflexes needed to master them.  I also don't care enough to memorize the keys.  Still that doesn't seem to do justice for the subject matter which was more about court intrigue then battles (and the building of armies).  I suspect that Crusader Kings II will be a better ASOIAF game then a Game of Thrones.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

szmik

it should be like CK or Sengoku game if anything :(
unless they'd make it SC2 story driven clone
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Razgovory

Apparently they are making an RPG as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

thanks for the heads-up! 40 euros though... Bleh

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on September 28, 2011, 04:07:32 PM
thanks for the heads-up! 40 euros though... Bleh

Yeah.  I'm waiting until several reviews are out before I even consider buying.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Alcibiades

Will consider it, but my hopes aren't very high all things considered.  :(

....I want it though.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Habbaku

A guy's doing a Let's Play series on YouTube (which is more than the fucking company can manage) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjSsOo0TCdY&feature=youtu.be

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on September 28, 2011, 06:34:19 PM
A guy's doing a Let's Play series on YouTube (which is more than the fucking company can manage) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjSsOo0TCdY&feature=youtu.be

Doesn't look that interesting really.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

QuoteSome people here must be joking. Cyanides own forums is teeming over with people who are literally pissed off at this game for not delivering what it promised. Basically what it is, is a very shallow world, if we take the HvH mode. No location or city or town got any names assigned to them. Your own capital town is called Feudal home. Very rich, very immersive. The game itself bases around gathering 100 presige points, which you have many ways to get but many fewer ways to lose. Generally speaking a game is rather short, since 100 prestige points isn't hard to achieve. When you've got them you won, game's over byebye cya next time. The only reason they label it "Brute military force is not the only way to win" is because brute military force can't win the game. By the time you get to tedious wars, the game is over. The game is really a capture the node game. Start with a base, send out envoys, noble ladies, spies and god knows what, and "ally" surrounding towns to gain income. You send out a peasant to manage the fields and 1-2 merchants to every town and gold mine to gain money. Essentially it's just a capture the node game dressed up and labelled as something creative. Unfortunately they failed to deliver. There are no hotkeys, no way to assign armies, the minimap is rubbish and the instructions and information is either wrong or contain typos. Unlike my review, their text should be flawless, the least to expect from a company. Nonetheless it's not. You can find "loose" instead of "lose" along with information that the minimap is on the left side while it's on the right. It could've been done so much better. In fact with a lot of tweaking it's a promising concept, just drop all the focus on the neutrals and increase the diplomacy and underhanding with the other houses. Give it a decent combat system, not combat focused, but you should atleast be able to fight your way through a game if you'd like that. Add more options. For heavens sake there's not even a way to change the victory requirements in HvH. No spend your money elsewhere and don't let those "I rank this game 8 because I've never played any other strategy game and I think this is kind of good" fool you. There's a flood of better Strategy games out there. Europa Universalis 3, The Total War series, Civilization etc etc

That sounds exactly like what I thought it would be.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

:yes:

Was just about to quote that review, myself.  The official forums for the game are aflame with angst over the same stuff as well.

Dammit.

-J. R. R. Tolkien