France's burqa ban: women are 'effectively under house arrest'

Started by jimmy olsen, September 25, 2011, 05:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2011, 09:11:09 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2011, 09:02:28 PMLast I checked money doesn't care about gender.

Yeah, that whole "women earn less than men" thing the last several decades had nothing to do with gender.

Yeah that is not true for people under 30.  As the old farts who came up under the old way of doing things retire that will change.

But um that is not Capitals fault, that was a societal issue.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2011, 09:02:28 PMLast I checked money doesn't care about gender.

Yeah, that whole "women earn less than men" thing the last several decades had nothing to do with gender.
No, it doesn't.  It has to do with child-birth, you fucking homo.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on September 25, 2011, 09:26:01 PM

As a Soviet Canunkistani you have no standing on gender disparity in a real country.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2011, 09:25:48 PM

Yeah that is not true for people under 30.  As the old farts who came up under the old way of doing things retire that will change.

But um that is not Capitals fault, that was a societal issue.

Shit, everybody's broke coming out of college.  That's not new. 
And it's not a capitalist issue but a societal one?  What the fuck do you think drives our society?

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2011, 09:31:51 PM
Shit, everybody's broke coming out of college.  That's not new. 
And it's not a capitalist issue but a societal one?  What the fuck do you think drives our society?

No this is new and far more women are coming out of college than men.  Lots of things drive our society.  If we were all socialized to maximize our ability to accumulate capital we probably would not have trillions in private debt out there (but to the American people's credit we are paying that down!)
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 25, 2011, 08:07:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2011, 08:04:47 PM
My guess is Captain Mihali is going to drop out of law school during his second year and try to reform the Symbionese Liberation Army.

If I only had the nerve...   :(

Shooting from the hip?
A lot of noise, at best.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Zoupa

I didn't read the whole article.

If those people are not happy about the law, they have many a ways to go about it. One of them is convincing friends and politicians that they are wrong, then voting for these politicians.

Another way is leaving the country that oppresses you so.

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 25, 2011, 08:07:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2011, 08:04:47 PM
My guess is Captain Mihali is going to drop out of law school during his second year and try to reform the Symbionese Liberation Army.

If I only had the nerve...   :(

Always reminds me of those flatworm experiments I read about in highschool.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

I must remember the next time I see a woman in a niqab to call her Batman.  :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Is this actually being enforced? I saw a woman in a burqa in france last month.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on September 25, 2011, 09:26:01 PM

That's true. The question is whether the society should address that disparity or not. I can sympathize with arguments of both sides of the debate.

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on September 26, 2011, 01:16:51 AM

I think this may be about the access to public buildings?

Martinus

Quote from: Zoupa on September 25, 2011, 09:49:13 PM
I didn't read the whole article.

If those people are not happy about the law, they have many a ways to go about it. One of them is convincing friends and politicians that they are wrong, then voting for these politicians.

Another way is leaving the country that oppresses you so.

I think you've gone overboard there in your anti-burqa zeal. This is a very dangerous position to take.

Habsburg

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: alfred russel on September 26, 2011, 01:16:51 AM

It's illegal in the same way that traffic offences are; so you still see people speeding and you still see people in burqas.