France's burqa ban: women are 'effectively under house arrest'

Started by jimmy olsen, September 25, 2011, 05:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: alfred russel on September 26, 2011, 01:16:51 AM
Is this actually being enforced? I saw a woman in a burqa in france last month.

Where? The test would be to enforce it on Persian Gulf tourists on the Champs-Elysées.

Zoupa

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2011, 01:32:10 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 25, 2011, 09:49:13 PM
I didn't read the whole article.

If those people are not happy about the law, they have many a ways to go about it. One of them is convincing friends and politicians that they are wrong, then voting for these politicians.

Another way is leaving the country that oppresses you so.

I think you've gone overboard there in your anti-burqa zeal. This is a very dangerous position to take.

I'm shaking at the possible consequences. Quivering even.

alfred russel

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 26, 2011, 02:11:43 AM

Where? The test would be to enforce it on Persian Gulf tourists on the Champs-Elysées.

It was on the metro in Paris.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: alfred russel on September 26, 2011, 05:51:50 AM

I can see that happening, specially in Barbès-Rochechouart. Could be frowned upon by passengers as well.
More likely in the suburbs, specially in some parts of the RER.

edit: I take it you mean something more like a niqab, not a burqa?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 26, 2011, 05:58:01 AM

I can see that happening, specially in Barbès-Rochechouart. Could be frowned upon by passengers as well.
More likely in the suburbs, speciallly in some parts of the RER.

Where it should be enforced the most is the subways.  Islamobombs have a habit of going off in them.

alfred russel

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 26, 2011, 05:58:01 AM

More likely in the suburbs, specially in some parts of the RER.

edit: I take it you mean something more like a niqab, not a burqa?

Yes, it was a niqab. Are those banned too?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

If those people are not happy about the law, they have many a ways to go about it. One of them is convincing friends and politicians that they are wrong, then voting for these politicians.

I think you've gone overboard there in your anti-burqa zeal. This is a very dangerous position to take.

I was under the impression this particular ban was only for official government buildings which mostly effects government employees and school students yes?  So most of the time you can walk around in your burka all you want.  Or did I get that wrong?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: alfred russel on September 26, 2011, 06:39:16 AM
Yes, it was a niqab. Are those banned too?

"Voile intégral" covers both since they prevent identification.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2011, 08:09:36 AM

I was under the impression this particular ban was only for official government buildings which mostly effects government employees and school students yes?  So most of the time you can walk around in your burka all you want.  Or did I get that wrong?

I was under the impression that they were illegal in public, period.  But you may be right;  I'm not sure.

Also, the article talks about harrassment from private individuals directed towards woment wearing the niqab, even to the level of physical attacks, which certainly isn't something that's happening just in government buildings.  OTOH, if that sort of mindset exists, I have to question the idea that the harrassment wouldn't occur even if the law was repealed or had never been passed.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on September 26, 2011, 10:35:45 AM
Also, the article talks about harrassment from private individuals directed towards woment wearing the niqab, even to the level of physical attacks, which certainly isn't something that's happening just in government buildings.  OTOH, if that sort of mindset exists, I have to question the idea that the harrassment wouldn't occur even if the law was repealed or had never been passed.

Well that is an entirely different issue and very shameful if true to any great extent.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

France is a country where you can be arrested for wearing a fake Gucci bag. They take their clothes seriously.

Grallon

Quote from: dps on September 26, 2011, 10:35:45 AM
... OTOH, if that sort of mindset exists, I have to question the idea that the harassment wouldn't occur even if the law was repealed or had never been passed.

The pot is almost to the boiling point in France.  Muslims have now reached a critical mass - there are anywhere between 5-8M of them - that's the population of a small nation.  Integration no longer works - if it ever did.  So naturally the general population is getting more and more concerned/uncomfortable.  This law was a response to this sentiment - it didn't induce it.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Siege

Immigrants that cannot or will not adapt and integrate to their new country should go back to wherever they came from.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Maximus

Neil

Quote from: Siege on September 26, 2011, 05:36:42 PM
Immigrants that cannot or will not adapt and integrate to their new country should go back to wherever they came from.
So when are the Jews in Palestine going back to Europe?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.