News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Personal statements on CVs/Resumes

Started by Brazen, September 23, 2011, 09:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I read a CV that included the line 'I am interested in cooking and can cook most things especially pasta.'  He also listed his swimming badges as qualifications.  He had a degree.

Despite my concerted lobbying we didn't take it to interview.

But I do think maybe it should be original and write it like a personal ad.  In my case 'desperate and needy seeks discreet low-maintenance boss for barely satisfactory position and long country walks'.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on September 23, 2011, 10:13:55 AM
Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2011, 09:45:33 AM
http://www.cvconsultants.co.uk/cv_templates/cv_templates.html
British CVs are quite different from German CVs apparently. Interesting.
I've heard that it's standard in some Euro countries to have a photo on your CV and have seen CVs with that.  I don't know if it's the case in Germany.  But it's one of those things that looks very foreign and quite weird to British eyes.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Quote from: Rasputin on September 23, 2011, 12:55:19 PM
of course there are exceptions to every rule and one of my current associates got his job because he put "50 Caliber Machine Gun" under his proficciencies (he was usmc)
Yeah, did that too once.  Guy was applying for some network engineer job he wasn't qualified for, but my sales partner saw that he was a former tanker and said "bring him in... I can sell past any other objection" and I did, and he did.  It turns out the client , Bill (the sales guy) and this dude were all at Ft. Knox together.

I admit that in general I have a huge bias in favor of hiring veterans.  I like people who aren't late and follow orders without arguing. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 23, 2011, 07:49:28 PM
I've heard that it's standard in some Euro countries to have a photo on your CV and have seen CVs with that.  I don't know if it's the case in Germany.  But it's one of those things that looks very foreign and quite weird to British eyes.
Indians and Filipinos do this also.

Caliga

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 23, 2011, 07:47:29 PM
I read a CV that included the line 'I am interested in cooking and can cook most things especially pasta.'  He also listed his swimming badges as qualifications.  He had a degree.

Despite my concerted lobbying we didn't take it to interview.

But I do think maybe it should be original and write it like a personal ad.  In my case 'desperate and needy seeks discreet low-maintenance boss for barely satisfactory position and long country walks'.
One time a guy's resume had this on it:

Interests:
I like cats

We brought him in and ran a background check.  It turned out that he forgot to tell us he also liked little boys. :Embarrass:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2011, 07:53:54 PM

I admit that in general I have a huge bias in favor of hiring veterans.  I like people who aren't late and follow orders without arguing. :)

:)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

That's the same reason I only hire ugly chicks. :)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

of course there are exceptions to every rule and one of my current associates got his job because he put "50 Caliber Machine Gun" under his proficciencies (he was usmc)
Yeah, did that too once.  Guy was applying for some network engineer job he wasn't qualified for, but my sales partner saw that he was a former tanker and said "bring him in... I can sell past any other objection" and I did, and he did.  It turns out the client , Bill (the sales guy) and this dude were all at Ft. Knox together.

<_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2011, 08:16:34 PM

<_<

I,ve told you to join the Armed Forces, some thing easy like the ChAir NG.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

I'm considering it.  It seems a little ass-backwards to join the military after I got out of law school.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

I once rejected a guy who had military history among his interests and practiced at a shooting range - looked too much like a right winger. I took a girl with interests in yoga and modern cinema instead. :yeah:

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2011, 08:16:34 PM

<_<

I thought you were a lawyer. It's unlikely Caliga recruits for positions that you would be interested in. I can't imagine a lawfirm looking out for a college drop-out failure an ex soldier.

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2011, 10:13:33 PM
I'm considering it.  It seems a little ass-backwards to join the military after I got out of law school.

Is your degree that shitty, that you can't get a decent job? Besides, lawfirms look for people with intelligence, creativity and flexibility - former military service (besides just looking weird) screams the opposite of these traits.