News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Personal statements on CVs/Resumes

Started by Brazen, September 23, 2011, 09:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Recruitment sites also recommended using a sans serif font like Ariel instead of Times New Roman. It looks like a child wrote it. Maybe I should try Comic Sans.

Warspite

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2011, 10:17:44 AM
Recruitment sites also recommended using a sans serif font like Ariel instead of Times New Roman. It looks like a child wrote it. Maybe I should try Comic Sans.
:bleeding:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ideologue

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2011, 10:17:44 AM

Lol.  I don't mind Arial, though.  I think it looks kind of nice.  I think this is Arial, isn't it?

I've gotta write a cover letter for some clerk thing today.  Don't want to.  I want a job to make money.  Give me money and I will do the job.  Actually, I think I'd like it, since it's working with a consumer protection agency...

Oh fuck, this means secured transactions, doesn't it?  I might as send them a picture of my dick.  Won't hurt my chances.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

szmik

Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2011, 10:34:23 AM
I've gotta write a cover letter for some clerk thing today.  Don't want to.  I want a job to make money.  Give me money and I will do the job. 
I hate writing letters.
Money is why I'm working at all, so why should I put some other shit in such letter? Especially when I'm applying for some clerk shit job the monkey can handle. If I was the man I'm describing in a letter I wouldn't apply for your shitty job, cause headhunters would have got me already.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Rasputin

Quote from: szmik on September 23, 2011, 11:11:37 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2011, 10:34:23 AM
I've gotta write a cover letter for some clerk thing today.  Don't want to.  I want a job to make money.  Give me money and I will do the job. 

Blah, Blah, Blah, ...

If I was the man ...headhunters would have got me already.

qft

that being said when i see personal statements it usually goes into the recycle bin...

of course there are exceptions to every rule and one of my current associates got his job because he put "50 Caliber Machine Gun" under his proficciencies (he was usmc)

I saw that and I said hire that guy
Who is John Galt?

HisMajestyBOB

I thought statements and objectives were on the way out. I was so happy to remove them from my resume. A cover letter is far better than any stupid statement.

But since most places now take applications online, I mostly use my resume to copy-paste certain sections into their online forms.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 23, 2011, 09:54:15 AM
Did you guys ever come across Competence based CVs instead of experience based?

Most of them are partially this and partially that. Listing your languages, or education is competence based. For entry level people it is essential.

Martinus

Yeah, what lemonjello said. I guess in some jobs "creativity" can be a plus but any lawyer CV that goes for "originality" usually ends in the bin.

I want to know which school you finished and which jobs you held. Give me a time to figure out you are a douche until the interview - don't make it apparent from your cv already.

Razgovory

I was planning to make an aircraft carrier joke, but couldn't muster the will. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

A recent cv had "an avid cigar smoker" in the "personal interests" section. I considered hiring the guy just on the off chance it was a code for "homosexual".

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2011, 01:09:18 PM
A recent cv had "an avid cigar smoker" in the "personal interests" section. I considered hiring the guy just on the off chance it was a code for "homosexual".

If I ever read that on a resume, I'd think 'smelly asshole' who will be outside smoking all the time instead of working. Pass.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Rasputin

:lol:

but you can't sleep with the help :contract:
Who is John Galt?

Martinus

Quote from: Rasputin on September 23, 2011, 02:28:11 PM
:lol:

but you can't sleep with the help :contract:

Yes :(

Ideologue

I like how the word "avid" makes anything sound classier.  "I'm an avid methamphetamine user," for example.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)