News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Personal statements on CVs/Resumes

Started by Brazen, September 23, 2011, 09:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

I hate personal statements on CVs, and have actually read no further when I'm recruiting if someone sounds conceited, despite the fact that boasting is pretty much what they are there for.

I used to have a completely dry CV which required only minor tweaks and wrote detailed covering letters explaining why I'm ideal for that particular position. The only problem was many positions recruit via agencies who only forward the CV, not the letter.

Now I hear they're all the rage, so I'm trying to put together a couple of sentences that say what I am and what I'm good at that won't make people throw up a little in their mouths. Preferably not beginning with "I".

Do you have one on your CV? Do you like the idea? What does yours say? What should mine say? And other probing questions.

Martinus

What do you mean by "personal statements"? I take it you do not mean stuff like "hobbies" or "personal interests"? I am also a big proponent of dry CVs - all kinds of personal letters and the like always sound like the person I am hiring is an asshole. :P

Gups

Hate it as well.

When I last did one, I made it short and in the third person something along the lines of "An ambitous, focussed journalist looking to take it to the next level" obv not that shit.

Mind you I haven't applied for a job for years

Tamas

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2011, 09:25:57 AM
many positions recruit via agencies who only forward the CV, not the letter.

Martinus

Quote from: Gups on September 23, 2011, 09:34:40 AM
Hate it as well.

When I last did one, I made it short and in the third person something along the lines of "An ambitous, focussed journalist looking to take it to the next level" obv not that shit.

Mind you I haven't applied for a job for years

That sounds like bullshit - if I got a CV with a statement like that, I would consider the person sending it to be a tard. I so much more prefer a dry, structured CV, with people filling in certain categories, without some flowery prose. Even hobbies/personal interests is sometimes too much (although I guess you can use it at the interview).

But "why do you want to work for us" is a much better question to ask during an interview, than have someone send in some stock response found on the internet.

Martinus

If this is a journalist job, btw, have you considered submitting a copy or two of your articles, in the similar way a photographer may submit a portfolio of pictures?

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2011, 09:40:44 AM
If this is a journalist job, btw, have you considered submitting a copy or two of your articles, in the similar way a photographer may submit a portfolio of pictures?
I wish I'd thought of that..... 

Sorry Mart, it's standard practice to include links to relevant stories. :P

This statement basically comes under your personal details and before your career history and tell the recruiter why they want to read further.

Here's an example that would get laughed at them spiked if it came under my scrutiny. Two sentences at most I think.
http://www.cvconsultants.co.uk/cv_templates/cv_templates.html

Brazen

Quote from: Gups on September 23, 2011, 09:34:40 AM
Or that untrue :P

Warspite

Brazen, the advice I've received from HR types is that a personal statement is pretty much essential.

But I have to say that, as a recruiter at hte moment, I find them useless. They all say the bloody same thing - loaded with whatever keywords are in fashion ("dynamic", "motivated", "competencies", "results-driven", etc).

I suspect now that everyone does it, it will go back out of fashion.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Grey Fox

Did you guys ever come across Competence based CVs instead of experience based?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Brazen, the whole purpose of the document to let the person reading it know that you are the one to hire for that position.  Do whatever it takes to make that point clear.

The kind of personal statement you are refering to may not be appropriate in all circumstances but if you think it will help then make it short, sweet and to the point of why that particular personal trait makes you perfect for that position.

Brazen

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 23, 2011, 09:54:15 AM
Did you guys ever come across Competence based CVs instead of experience based?
Yes, when I changed careers I had a list of skills right at the top because they were more relevant than my experience at that point.

Brazen

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 23, 2011, 09:57:01 AM
Brazen, the whole purpose of the document to let the person reading it know that you are the one to hire for that position.  Do whatever it takes to make that point clear.
Topless photo then, righto.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2011, 10:00:03 AM

Thats the spirit.

HVC

Quote from: Brazen on September 23, 2011, 10:00:03 AM
In that case I'd be more then willing to review your CV
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.