And we're back!

Main Menu

Credit card fraud

Started by viper37, September 21, 2011, 11:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 21, 2011, 04:36:00 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 21, 2011, 03:08:44 PM
"Executive stress release (not covered by provincial medicare)"  ;)
If you were a fiscalist, I might have a job for you :P

Turns out they were already aware of the fraud.  7 other transactions happened between my account statement and today, all in Euros or US$.
They've already cancelled my card, but they never called me...  Weird.  I'll have to sign an affidavit as you said, I should get in the mail pretty soon.

I wonder what happens to the merchants who authorized the card, assuming there's no fraud on their part, are they still getting paid for their transaction?

I believe the bank eats the loss.

Also, I've discovered it is a really good idea to tell your credit card company if you are travelling overseas ... otherwise, they might cancel your card when you are in East Buttfuckistan, and you will have lots o fun trying to explain why your card doesn't work to a East Buttfuckistanian merchant you just bought $2,000 worth of tourist tat from.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Who the fuck buys a stroller in East Buttfuckistan?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Brazen

Quote from: Malthus on September 22, 2011, 08:08:47 AM
Also, I've discovered it is a really good idea to tell your credit card company if you are travelling overseas ... otherwise, they might cancel your card when you are in East Buttfuckistan, and you will have lots o fun trying to explain why your card doesn't work to a East Buttfuckistanian merchant you just bought $2,000 worth of tourist tat from.  ;)
Yes, I've had this problem twice when travelling to the US :P

derspiess

Yep.

QuoteAlso, I've discovered it is a really good idea to tell your credit card company if you are travelling overseas ... otherwise, they might cancel your card when you are in East Buttfuckistan, and you will have lots o fun trying to explain why your card doesn't work to a East Buttfuckistanian merchant you just bought $2,000 worth of tourist tat from.  ;)

While we're doing helpful hints for travelers, let me add that anyone traveling overseas should carry with them *more than one* credit card so that they have a backup means of payment.  I don't know how many times I've heard through my customers (which are mostly small-sized banks) that Mr. Smith is traveling in Tuscany and lost his *debit* card, which was the only card he took with him and I need to magically teleport a replacement card to him today.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

I have a friend who travels frequently to the east coast. When travelling through Ohio, he has to make sure he remembers not to use his credit card because his bank labels all transaction in Ohio as fraud. He's had it cancelled on him a couple times.

Ed Anger

:)

We need his card to buy Sutafed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

I called them, once, for my personal card.  I had a purchase in Quebec city on New Year's Eve, and although the details of what I did that night were fuzzy ;) , I clearly remember I was home.  I simply asked for a copy of the receipt, because I said it could be me, I just didn't remember, it could have been an internet transaction, but the name on the statement didn't mean anything to me.
Instead, they cancelled the transaction and I got an email from the merchant telling me they received a charge-back, and I had to re-do the transaction.

So, I was just wondering the procedure, it seems to change from time to time.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 22, 2011, 09:31:07 AM

It's Sudafed. The Walter White method doesn't use that anymore  :nerd:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Zoupa on September 22, 2011, 09:57:45 PM

Tell the Kentuckians who drive up here to buy it. Stupid fucks walk right into Walgreens and try to buy more than one box of the stuff.  :rolleyes:

KRonn

Over the last few years Bank of America has contacted me a couple of times when they suspected fraud, so they stopped it before it became anything expensive. They would then reissue me a new card. My credit cards are handled by BoA, even ones not in their name, and they've done a good job so far with fraud stuff.

Zoupa

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 23, 2011, 08:55:34 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 22, 2011, 09:57:45 PM

Tell the Kentuckians who drive up here to buy it. Stupid fucks walk right into Walgreens and try to buy more than one box of the stuff.  :rolleyes:

Classic.  :lol:  We keep it behind the counter now.

You can spot the meth heads a mile away anyways.

Ed Anger

Even better is when the cops pop their trunk and it is full of Sudafed.