News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russia making a new move on Georgia?

Started by Weatherman, April 23, 2009, 07:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weatherman

QuoteAKHMAJI, Georgia (AP) — At a military checkpoint between Georgia and its breakaway region of South Ossetia, the word "Russia" is hand-painted in pink on a concrete security barrier.
"It will be Russia," said a Russian army lieutenant as the Ossetian soldiers under his command nodded.
"And Georgia used to be Russian, too," said the young freckle-faced lieutenant, who would give only his first name, Sergei. Three armored personnel carriers and a tank were dug in around the checkpoint.
Russia has troops just 25 miles (40 kilometers) from the Georgian capital, in violation of the European Union-brokered cease-fire that ended last year's brief war. And in recent weeks, it has put even more soldiers and armored vehicles within striking distance of the city ahead of street protests against Georgia's president.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jfCx1N9TFck0QbhRQt7fnFP_Da1gD97N2Q6O2

Neil

Why wouldn't they?  The EU can't sanction them, and Obama doesn't have the courage to say no to them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Berkut

After all the furor over the first little escapade, the Western Consensus was that mewling "Oh, we CAN'T possibly do ANYTHING!" so why wouldn't Russia finish the job?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Mikael Hakim

Quote from: Berkut on April 24, 2009, 08:13:36 AM
After all the furor over the first little escapade, the Western Consensus was that mewling "Oh, we CAN'T possibly do ANYTHING!" so why wouldn't Russia finish the job?

I can think of several reasons.

DisturbedPervert

QuoteAnd in recent weeks, it has put even more soldiers and armored vehicles within striking distance of the city ahead of street protests against Georgia's president.

This might be fun.  A few Russian plants foment violence, Georgia cracks down on protesters to restore peace, and Russian forces roll in to liberate.     :ph34r:

Berkut

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 24, 2009, 08:45:52 AM
QuoteAnd in recent weeks, it has put even more soldiers and armored vehicles within striking distance of the city ahead of street protests against Georgia's president.

This might be fun.  A few Russian plants foment violence, Georgia cracks down on protesters to restore peace, and Russian forces roll in to liberate.     :ph34r:

It is all georgias fault. Russia is just there to protect her own citizens!

There is clear precedent for this, btw.

See: Austria, 1936. Poland, 1939.

Sometimes you just don't have any choice but to invade and conquer neighboring sovereign nations.

0 rows returned

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Berkut

0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on April 23, 2009, 07:45:53 PM
Why wouldn't they?  The EU can't sanction them, and Obama doesn't have the courage to say no to them.

Yep.  Putvedev has to know that the time is pretty ripe to go ahead & do what they want in the region.  The US is pretty much guaranteed not to even make any symbolic efforts to oppose it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Would we need a new reset if something happens?

0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on April 24, 2009, 11:35:47 AM

Yeah, that's what the button is for.  Any time anything bad happens, push the button & we're back to good relations.  No harm, no foul.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Perhaps the reset button, resets things to right before the last Georgia crisis. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2009, 11:39:34 AM

Yeah, that's what the button is for.  Any time anything bad happens, push the button & we're back to good relations.  No harm, no foul.

I just hope he doesn't hit the escalate button by mistake. I think it looks a lot like the reset button.

IN hindsight, labeling all the buttons in Russian might have been a mistake.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2009, 11:41:18 AM
Perhaps the reset button, resets things to right before the last Georgia crisis. :(

Groundhog Day 2 : Foreign Policy Adventures?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on April 24, 2009, 11:53:16 AM
Groundhog Day 2 : Foreign Policy Adventures?
Perhaps in one the iterations, Pelosi will become President! :w00t: :swiss:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.