Main Menu

Sun TV News interview with Margaret Atwood

Started by viper37, September 22, 2011, 11:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on September 22, 2011, 12:54:53 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2011, 12:47:57 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 22, 2011, 12:25:47 PM
If this is the show's usual standard then it is just as well that the hour has only 22 minutes.

It does mostly political humour, which doesn't translate very well if you don't know the context.

Eh, It's like Saturday Night Live doing a skit where Amy Poehler playing a Faux News Bimbo interviews Whoopie Goldberg playing Toni Morrison discussing the closing of public libraries. They could have done that with almost the identical script.

Like I said though, there's a context.  You'd need to know why Atwood is talking about closing libraries, know who Atwood is, know what Sun News is.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 22, 2011, 12:08:50 PM
IMO our best one never left - Rick Mercer.
I just don't enjoy Rick Mercer.  Not sure why, but I just have a hard time finding the funny with him.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Zoupa

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on September 22, 2011, 01:19:30 PM
I just don't enjoy Rick Mercer.  Not sure why, but I just have a hard time finding the funny with him.

This creates a problem for Slargos' theory that art can be judged objectively.

HVC

Quote from: Neil on September 22, 2011, 01:19:30 PM
they only funny thing he did was the ask the american skit. and even that got old fast.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zoupa

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 22, 2011, 01:26:45 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 22, 2011, 01:26:08 PM

Really? :huh:

Yes really.

Jonh Candy, Dan Akroyd, Jim Carrey, Seth Rogen, Leslie Nielsen, Phil Hartman, Russell Peters, Sugar Sammy, Mike Myers, Martin Short?

That's off the top of my head, and not citing the francophones which you won't know (of course).

Razgovory

The video I saw did not match the description.  So I was confused.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on September 22, 2011, 01:32:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 22, 2011, 01:26:45 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 22, 2011, 01:26:08 PM

Really? :huh:

Yes really.

Jonh Candy, Dan Akroyd, Jim Carrey, Seth Rogen, Leslie Nielsen, Phil Hartman, Russell Peters, Sugar Sammy, Mike Myers, Martin Short?

That's off the top of my head, and not citing the francophones which you won't know (of course).

OK, what do you want me to do with your list of names which doesnt include francophones?

HVC

rate them on scale from -5 to 5 where 0 is equal to rick mercer funny. Chop-chop.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on September 22, 2011, 02:14:19 PM
rate them on scale from -5 to 5 where 0 is equal to rick mercer funny. Chop-chop.

I would rate them all below Mercer. Akroyd would be the only one to challenge in my view.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on September 22, 2011, 02:18:05 PM
Do francophone comedians also go to the US?
Those who don't speak, usually.

There's André-Philippe Gagnon who spent most of his career in the US, he is an impersonator.

But otherwise, you'll see them aiming for France, it's easier to adapt the jokes already in French to their situation, and there's like a gazillion of people (artists, writers, actors, agents, etc) already working in France to help Québécois adapt their shows to Europe so it's easier.  Also, any comparison between Québécois French and France French is sure to draw laughs from the crowd.

It would be difficult to adapt a spoken comedian show to the US.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Habsburg

The Handmaid's Tale is one of my favourite novels.