And we're back!

Main Menu

Personal statements on CVs/Resumes

Started by Brazen, September 23, 2011, 09:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 26, 2011, 12:41:31 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2011, 06:12:50 AM
Well, the guy also gave other vibes. Like graduating from a catholic uni or interning in some ministry during the PiS rule.

I would never risk overlooking someone on grounds like that. It could ruin my life.

How so?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2011, 01:21:51 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 26, 2011, 12:41:31 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2011, 06:12:50 AM
Well, the guy also gave other vibes. Like graduating from a catholic uni or interning in some ministry during the PiS rule.

I would never risk overlooking someone on grounds like that. It could ruin my life.

How so?

If he overlooked the same people you would overlook he might end up with someone like your internet personality.

Martinus

Quote from: Rasputin on September 26, 2011, 12:21:47 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2011, 03:10:41 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2011, 10:13:33 PM
I'm considering it.  It seems a little ass-backwards to join the military after I got out of law school.

Is your degree that shitty, that you can't get a decent job? Besides, lawfirms look for people with intelligence, creativity and flexibility - former military service (besides just looking weird) screams the opposite of these traits.

do you not see the irony in your own prejudices?

anyhow i'd have never hired that chick you described...screams left wing commie to me

we can still discriminate against commies in america

:contract:

And we can discriminate against military tards in Poland.

Also, speaking of left wing commies... are there right wing commies, too? :P

Ideologue

Quote from: Rasputin on September 26, 2011, 12:22:48 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2011, 07:00:25 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2011, 03:10:41 AM
I'm considering it.  It seems a little ass-backwards to join the military after I got out of law school.

Is your degree that shitty, that you can't get a decent job?

Yes, apparently.  Funny story, my school actually dropped a tier while I was there.

I believe that you have another major impediment.

Well, yeah.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 26, 2011, 01:20:59 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 25, 2011, 01:32:08 AM

I recommend getting in touch with an officer recruiter soon, even if you're just considering it.
I got in touch with a Navy OCS recruiter, and the soonest I could get into that would be 2013 or 2014: apparently the Navy is downsizing, so bad job market + fewer OCS slots = 2012 is totally booked. Army and Marines might be more open, but you need to be near the top of the physical fitness test scores to be even considered.

Also, check out JAG. I didn't even look at it. That field might be less crowded.

For the CF you need to be called to the bar to be considered for JAG.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Ide drinks a lot so he's probably been to lots of bars.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Quote from: Rasputin on September 26, 2011, 12:21:47 PM
do you not see the irony in your own prejudices?

anyhow i'd have never hired that chick you described...screams left wing commie to me

we can still discriminate against commies in america

:contract:

Both you and Marty are making the mistake of thinking military service means the same in both your countries.

I can see where he is coming from, because we have the same perception that military service is for losers who have failed at everything else. Either that or right wing nuts. And the truth is, it is often correct, precisely because bright people would never consider a career there. There are exceptions, of course. Probably more every day. In time they might become the rule and the military will lose that fame.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Iormlund on September 26, 2011, 03:17:03 PM
I can see where he is coming from, because we have the same perception that military service is for losers who have failed at everything else. Either that or right wing nuts. And the truth is, it is often correct, precisely because bright people would never consider a career there. There are exceptions, of course. Probably more every day. In time they might become the rule and the military will lose that fame.

Since we are talking about the US military here, I see only one person making an error - Marti.  If Marti doesnt know about military organizations outside his homeland then he ought to refrain from discussing such things.