Main Menu

Personal statements on CVs/Resumes

Started by Brazen, September 23, 2011, 09:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2011, 03:04:03 AM
Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2011, 07:53:54 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on September 23, 2011, 12:55:19 PM
of course there are exceptions to every rule and one of my current associates got his job because he put "50 Caliber Machine Gun" under his proficciencies (he was usmc)
Yeah, did that too once.  Guy was applying for some network engineer job he wasn't qualified for, but my sales partner saw that he was a former tanker and said "bring him in... I can sell past any other objection" and I did, and he did.  It turns out the client , Bill (the sales guy) and this dude were all at Ft. Knox together.

I admit that in general I have a huge bias in favor of hiring veterans.  I like people who aren't late and follow orders without arguing. :)

I once rejected a guy who had military history among his interests and practiced at a shooting range - looked too much like a right winger. I took a girl with interests in yoga and modern cinema instead. :yeah:

So, how did you come to Languish, if not Europa Universalis 2?  OMG CRYPTO-RIGHTIST.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Well, the guy also gave other vibes. Like graduating from a catholic uni or interning in some ministry during the PiS rule.

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2011, 03:07:35 AM
I thought you were a lawyer. It's unlikely Caliga recruits for positions that you would be interested in. I can't imagine a lawfirm looking out for a college drop-out failure an ex soldier.
:hmm:  This dude went to some armed forces college thing, so he did have a degree.  Also, senior network engineers make $100K+. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2011, 03:10:41 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2011, 10:13:33 PM
I'm considering it.  It seems a little ass-backwards to join the military after I got out of law school.

Is your degree that shitty, that you can't get a decent job?

Yes, apparently.  Funny story, my school actually dropped a tier while I was there.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on September 24, 2011, 06:48:36 AM
I thought you were a lawyer. It's unlikely Caliga recruits for positions that you would be interested in. I can't imagine a lawfirm looking out for a college drop-out failure an ex soldier.
:hmm:  This dude went to some armed forces college thing, so he did have a degree.  Also, senior network engineers make $100K+. :)

I didn't realize that the key quality in engineers is to be good in "following orders". I can only imagine what kind of facility you are running.

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2011, 07:00:25 AM
I'm considering it.  It seems a little ass-backwards to join the military after I got out of law school.

Yes, apparently.  Funny story, my school actually dropped a tier while I was there.

:hug:

HisMajestyBOB

I recommend getting in touch with an officer recruiter soon, even if you're just considering it.
I got in touch with a Navy OCS recruiter, and the soonest I could get into that would be 2013 or 2014: apparently the Navy is downsizing, so bad job market + fewer OCS slots = 2012 is totally booked. Army and Marines might be more open, but you need to be near the top of the physical fitness test scores to be even considered.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Martinus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 25, 2011, 01:32:08 AM

I recommend getting in touch with an officer recruiter soon, even if you're just considering it.
I got in touch with a Navy OCS recruiter, and the soonest I could get into that would be 2013 or 2014: apparently the Navy is downsizing, so bad job market + fewer OCS slots = 2012 is totally booked. Army and Marines might be more open, but you need to be near the top of the physical fitness test scores to be even considered.

Yeah Ide, wait 2+ years to be able to put something on your resume that will make you look like a loser to any law firm recruiter.  :lmfao:

Rasputin

Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2011, 08:16:34 PM
Quote from: Caliga on September 23, 2011, 07:53:54 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on September 23, 2011, 12:55:19 PM
of course there are exceptions to every rule and one of my current associates got his job because he put "50 Caliber Machine Gun" under his proficciencies (he was usmc)
Yeah, did that too once.  Guy was applying for some network engineer job he wasn't qualified for, but my sales partner saw that he was a former tanker and said "bring him in... I can sell past any other objection" and I did, and he did.  It turns out the client , Bill (the sales guy) and this dude were all at Ft. Knox together.

I admit that in general I have a huge bias in favor of hiring veterans.  I like people who aren't late and follow orders without arguing. :)

<_<

wrong
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

Is your degree that shitty, that you can't get a decent job? Besides, lawfirms look for people with intelligence, creativity and flexibility - former military service (besides just looking weird) screams the opposite of these traits.

do you not see the irony in your own prejudices?

anyhow i'd have never hired that chick you described...screams left wing commie to me

we can still discriminate against commies in america

:contract:
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2011, 07:00:25 AM

I believe that you have another major impediment.
Who is John Galt?

crazy canuck

If I saw an applicant with good marks from a good law school AND they had a military background I would definitely scoop them up.

Someone that is both smart and isnt afraid of work is becoming harder to find these days.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2011, 06:12:50 AM
Well, the guy also gave other vibes. Like graduating from a catholic uni or interning in some ministry during the PiS rule.

I would never risk overlooking someone on grounds like that. It could ruin my life.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 25, 2011, 01:32:08 AM

Also, check out JAG. I didn't even look at it. That field might be less crowded.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help