Best Buy to Brits: Fuck you, and your color TV taxes

Started by CountDeMoney, September 20, 2011, 06:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnchorClanker

Yeah, I only saw a tiny handful of classic US cars - part of the reason there's a market for them.
That would be a kickass retirement gig... importing collector cars into the UK.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Barrister

I remember seeing an old, early 80s or so Chevy S-10 (or Ford Ranger) pickup in Oban Scotland, with steering wheel on the left, complete with an old early 80s Vancouver Canucks bumper sticker.  I thought it was the oddest vehicle to see there...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on September 21, 2011, 06:19:56 AM
Starbucks has relatively good coffee and they are a good employer. I think people shit on them mainly because it's "trendy" but they are one of the good guys in the corporate world, imo.
American Apparel are one of the good guys in the corporate world, doesn't mean I like them. 

With Starbucks I think their coffee's not very tasty more than anything else.

QuoteAlso - Taco Bell *did* try to get into the UK market and failed... they are making a 2nd try last I knew.
That would be good - that was one of the things I really missed while I was there - Mexican food.
I wonder if they've missed the chance because there's now a couple of chains of Mexican fast food opening all over London.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 21, 2011, 07:35:19 AM
Quote from: Neil on September 21, 2011, 07:23:04 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 21, 2011, 01:17:13 AM
I like Taco Bell because you can substitute beans for any meat in any given product.  You can't do that at, say, McDonald's.
So you're willing to tolerate their horrid food because of your faggot veggie ways?

It's well documented that Ide is the worse eater of this forum.

Nonsense.  I eat fine.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Coffee without sugar and milk or cream tastes awful.  I don't know how people stand it.

I used to like to fill big glasses full of coffee and Hershey's syrup.  That was good stuff.  Honestly, I must've been burning 4000 calories a day at that job.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on September 21, 2011, 07:48:33 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 21, 2011, 06:19:56 AM
Starbucks has relatively good coffee and they are a good employer. I think people shit on them mainly because it's "trendy" but they are one of the good guys in the corporate world, imo.
And don't forget the part about having to wade through a sea of fags trying to show off their Apple products just to get to the counter.

lulz, Marti reference.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 21, 2011, 03:53:44 PM
Vaguely related - A buddy of mine brought his blue Ford Mustang over to the UK... in a town loaded with expensive cars (lots of Leeds lawyers and accountants live in Harrogate) - he received multiple notes under his wiperblades to the tune of "Hey Yank, when you go back to the States and don't wish to haul this back, I'll but it off you - call me..."

Amazing.  I've heard of some guys buying classic American cars that need work and hauling it to the UK for gearheads to buy and fix up... seemed to be quite a few in Yorkshire in any case.

Yeah, there's a little outfit near the Port of Baltimore, nothing fancy, just a couple trailers;  for months I'd pass by, see the occasional muscle car or classic in their lot of various quality--Mustangs, Caddys, Lincolns, Camaros, Plymouth muscle that need some work, etc.--so one day I stopped when I saw a lovely Lincoln convertible from the '60s to see if it was for sale.  Nope, they said; they're an exporter to the UK and the continent for individuals looking for classic American cars, muscle cars, etc.  That's all they do, get them on the ships with the right paperwork.