Best Buy to Brits: Fuck you, and your color TV taxes

Started by CountDeMoney, September 20, 2011, 06:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 21, 2011, 01:08:35 AM
I dislike Taco Bell because it is hideously unhealthy and disgusting, especially 1-2 hours after eating.
Yet, at the same time, I have to admit that I totally eat their soft tacos and stuff, but I don't go out of my way to go there.

I like Taco Bell because you can substitute beans for any meat in any given product.  You can't do that at, say, McDonald's.

On a related note, I did just get some french fries from McD's, but they didn't give me any ketchup.  Do you think ketchup that expired in April is still technically edible?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HisMajestyBOB

If refrigerated, sure!* Just give it the sniff test and once-over test.

I went to a Mexican chain called Qdoba that had awesome bean, rice, beef burritos. It's kinda like subway but for burritos. It was great.

*not to be construed as actual medical advice
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

Subway is the devil I quite agree, they charge way too much for sandwiches.
And they`re like a plague, they`re popping up absolutely everywhere these days, its so bad they`re putting each other out of business.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 21, 2011, 01:22:22 AM
If refrigerated, sure!* Just give it the sniff test and once-over test.

I went to a Mexican chain called Qdoba that had awesome bean, rice, beef burritos. It's kinda like subway but for burritos. It was great.

*not to be construed as actual medical advice

Looks like a Moe's or Chipotle's.  Moe's is pretty decent, although the tofu they use is a little bland.  The chicken ones, when I still ate bird, was fucking delicious (and, for a while, they were selling 'em for $5, and even at $7ish it's a good deal--you get a bag full of tortilla chips with 'em).

Also, and I guess this is my problem, but burritos sure would be a lot better if the contents were uniformly heated.  I guess it's not feasible to keep pico, jalapenos, etc., at a simmer for an entire day, let alone cheese, but it's always a bother to have half of a food item below 20 degrees below room temperature and the other half 20 degrees above.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on September 20, 2011, 08:49:18 PM
7-11?
So foreign to me that for my first few weeks in Japan I thought they were a Japanese thing, then I got curious about the meaning of the name and checked wikipedia- American? International? Ey?!?

I`m really curious why Tacho Bell hasn`t tried to move into Britain. We don`t have any Mexican fast food and that sort of foreign business does well. I would really like to try it.

There are 7-11s in Sweden.

Taco Bell is awful.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

There were 7-11s in London back in the 1980s. I think they may have got hammered by the far cheaper and more flexible stores run by immigrants, haven't seen one for years.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on September 21, 2011, 01:17:13 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 21, 2011, 01:08:35 AM
I dislike Taco Bell because it is hideously unhealthy and disgusting, especially 1-2 hours after eating.
Yet, at the same time, I have to admit that I totally eat their soft tacos and stuff, but I don't go out of my way to go there.

I like Taco Bell because you can substitute beans for any meat in any given product.  You can't do that at, say, McDonald's.

On a related note, I did just get some french fries from McD's, but they didn't give me any ketchup.  Do you think ketchup that expired in April is still technically edible?

I have baking powder that expired back in 1992.  Of course, I'm not sure what baking powder is used for, so it's never been a problem. 

Also, I hate beans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 21, 2011, 01:22:22 AM
I like Qdoba, but it's a ripoff.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 21, 2011, 01:12:49 AM
Quote from: Caliga on September 20, 2011, 06:40:41 PM
What about TJMaxx (called TK Maxx in Britain I believe).  Do you see lots of those?  Princesca used to work for TJX and she had to deal with the British dudes all the time... their office was in Wiltshire someplace.

Didn't realise that they were American. Yes, they are all over the place and pretty popular with the women in my family. Their selling point is quality goods at bargain basement prices.
I always thought TJ Maxx was Brit-owned.

QuoteA lot of the stuff sold in TK maxx seems to be various European labels, there is no mileage in appearing American.

Well, fuck you too.

QuoteOn the other hand, being American is an important part of Starbucks' image here.

So are they popular there, or do you guys avoid them because of their uberimperialist atmospheres? 
The only time I notice there are any Starbucks in Europe is when anti-globalists are through shit through their windows.

Brazen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 21, 2011, 05:23:22 AM
So are they popular there, or do you guys avoid them because of their uberimperialist atmospheres? 
The only time I notice there are any Starbucks in Europe is when anti-globalists are through shit through their windows.
There are at least three on every high street in London. You could spit from the door of one and hit another; in fact that's probably the best thing to do with them. People are prepared to spend £3 for weak coffee anywhere, it seems.

Richard Hakluyt

Well British places for having a coffee in always used to be crap, so to have an American-type place where we can drink a decent coffee in is pretty positive. There are British coffeeshop chains now but they seem to emulate the American style. OTOH the British pub continues to be the best place to drink booze in, so alternative styles of waterhole have difficulty gaining any presence here.

It really depends on the product whether it being American is a good thing or not. In Preston we have a store devoted to selling Harley-Davidsons http://www.bowkermotorgroup.co.uk/harley-davidson/ . That the bikes are American is a huge plus, you are not just getting a great bike when you buy from them, you are getting freedom  :D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 21, 2011, 06:03:00 AM
That the bikes are American is a huge plus, you are not just getting a great bike when you buy from them, you are getting freedom  :D

:bleeding:

Warspite

People don't avoid Starbucks because it's American, they avoid it because their coffees have more sugar in them than a slice of fudge. :yuk:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA