Best Buy to Brits: Fuck you, and your color TV taxes

Started by CountDeMoney, September 20, 2011, 06:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

What about TJMaxx (called TK Maxx in Britain I believe).  Do you see lots of those?  Princesca used to work for TJX and she had to deal with the British dudes all the time... their office was in Wiltshire someplace.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

AnchorClanker

The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Habsburg

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 20, 2011, 09:08:17 AM
You want the Best Buy experience? Stand in front of your TV, turn your stereo on the loudest setting and play the worst music you've ever heard. Get two friends to wear blue shirts and repeatedly ask you if you want the extended warranty.

:lol:

Caliga

Also, when you have an actual question, make sure your friends are nowhere to be found. :)

Josquius

Quote7-11?
So foreign to me that for my first few weeks in Japan I thought they were a Japanese thing, then I got curious about the meaning of the name and checked wikipedia- American? International? Ey?!?

QuoteBorders did the same thing.  I used to walk by the (empty) Borders in York on a regular basis.
US companies need to be careful about expanding into the UK market.
I dunno....Borders IMO were just a decade or two too late.
Sure, we have waterstones, but around Newcastle at least the Borders was a huge out of city book superstore type thing, totally different to Waterstones with its city centre shops.
Had Borders been around pre-internet it could have done quite OK I think. As things stood though- why the hell would you go to a shop to spend 2 quid more for a book (plus petrol, time and effort) than having it delivered?
Waterstones...they`re still going, they`ve got rid of a lot of their bigger stores it seems but there`s still a place for their smaller shops in people just casually popping in and buying a book. With the big out of city thing of Borders though there was just no demand.

Quote from: Caliga on September 20, 2011, 06:40:41 PM
What about TJMaxx (called TK Maxx in Britain I believe).  Do you see lots of those?  Princesca used to work for TJX and she had to deal with the British dudes all the time... their office was in Wiltshire someplace.

Yeah, we have those, I must admit that probally half of my wardrobe must come from that place.
Designer stuff at knock down prices, what`s not to like.
There they`re doing something that there wasn`t really a British company doing. I never knew they were an American company TBH.

I`m really curious why Tacho Bell hasn`t tried to move into Britain. We don`t have any Mexican fast food and that sort of foreign business does well. I would really like to try it.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on September 20, 2011, 08:49:18 PM

I`m really curious why Tacho Bell hasn`t tried to move into Britain. We don`t have any Mexican fast food and that sort of foreign business does well. I would really like to try it.

I wrote a post about how it may do have to do with Britain not letting it's citizens eat something so generously labeled as "beef".  Then I remembered that you people eat eels, grease, blood, and sheep guts.  So now I'm at a loss as to why it's not in the country.  The stuff is dirt cheap, probably because "dirt" is a significant ingredient.  When I was in the northern part of the state there was a place called Taco John's, apparently named after the place where Tacos go to shit.  It's just horrible, so it might be more your speed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 20, 2011, 05:47:32 PM
I honestly don't recall seeing much in the way of US chains where I was at -

Subway, McDonald's, Burger King - and Taco Bell announced that they were going to take another try to break into the UK.

Err... drawing a blank, really.  Just those and the failed Border's in York.

They don't have Taco Bells in the UK?  That must suck.  Taco Bell's about the only fast food restaurant I can actually get meals from anymore.

Best Buy can be an obnoxious place, but the last time I went was a year or so ago, on the release date of the Moon blu-ray, and this guy spent like twenty minutes going through boxes in the stockroom finding it for me.  I felt bad because I forgot his name, and wanted to send an email to corporate about how awesome he was, albeit not mentioning the fact that he completely negated their profit on the disc by spending $4 or $5 worth of labor costs for one customer who will likely never buy anything significant from them.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 20, 2011, 05:47:32 PM
I honestly don't recall seeing much in the way of US chains where I was at -

Subway, McDonald's, Burger King - and Taco Bell announced that they were going to take another try to break into the UK.

Isn't that banned by the Geneva Convention?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ideologue

What does everyone have against Taco Bell?  They make good food quickly.

I've got a lot more against Subway, to be honest, with their retardedly inflated prices.  I mean, why is a veggie sub the same price as one with meat?  That's fucked up--they're the same God damned thing minus the most expensive ingredient.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on September 21, 2011, 12:37:44 AM
What does everyone have against Taco Bell?  They make good food quickly.

I've got a lot more against Subway, to be honest, with their retardedly inflated prices.  I mean, why is a veggie sub the same price as one with meat?  That's fucked up--they're the same God damned thing minus the most expensive ingredient.

It's to encourage you to eat meat like a human being.  Don't blame them for trying to civilize you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

I'm extra civilized.  Although I might have an iron deficiency.  Is there iron in "Nerds" brand candy?  The point is I bought some vitamins.

They should make candy that tastes like chewable vitamins, especially those kids' Flintstones ones.  They're delicious, but if you eat, say, forty, your face will fall off like those Antarctica guys.
Kinemalogue

HisMajestyBOB

I dislike Taco Bell because it is hideously unhealthy and disgusting, especially 1-2 hours after eating.
Yet, at the same time, I have to admit that I totally eat their soft tacos and stuff, but I don't go out of my way to go there.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Caliga on September 20, 2011, 06:40:41 PM

Didn't realise that they were American. Yes, they are all over the place and pretty popular with the women in my family. Their selling point is quality goods at bargain basement prices.

Thinking about it, for a succesful expansion into a foreign country one would either want to appear as a native firm or one's American (or whatever) origins would be an important and positive part of the brand image. A lot of the stuff sold in TK maxx seems to be various European labels, there is no mileage in appearing American. On the other hand, being American is an important part of Starbucks' image here.