Anyone ever had their employer ask them to take up political causes?

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 20, 2011, 07:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Mine did today. Apparently, there are some things going on in the federal sandbox in which my company has a vested interest, and they suggest writing letters and emails to congressmen if we are so inclined. No pressure or quid pro quo or anything, but it got me thinking about that practice in general. Considering the amount of business we do with the govt, I'm a bit surprised it's never happened until now. It's the kind of thing that I personally would try to avoid doing in a business environment, but if you look at the donation lists from certain companies, it's clearly going on a lot out there.

Apparently, certain departments in Washington are hopelessly dysfunctional atm.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

I was told I needed to brown nose the occasional local politician. The one that sorta annoyed me was being sent to shake hands with Palin during her campaign stop in Troy, Ohio. YAY! Political rallies.  :yucky:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

My last company used to try to make us, yes.  Current one hasn't (yet).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

OttoVonBismarck

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

No company I've worked for has asked me, politely or otherwise, to do anything for a political cause.

Zanza

My employer has professionals in various capitals to do lobbying external affairs, they don't need amateurs. ;)

The thing with company lists on how much was donated to a certain political party is strange to me, too. Work and politics are two spheres that generally don't mix here.

Lucidor

Warspite

At my firm we are asked to attend the AGM in order to outvote any crazy old members who wander in trying to pass ridiculous by-laws, like forcing everyone to wear blazers and club ties and removing all the books critical of Redvers Buller from our library.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Neil

Quote from: Warspite on September 21, 2011, 07:22:19 PM
At my firm we are asked to attend the AGM in order to outvote any crazy old members who wander in trying to pass ridiculous by-laws, like forcing everyone to wear blazers and club ties and removing all the books critical of Redvers Buller from our library.
:mad:  Not ridiculous.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on September 21, 2011, 07:35:42 PM
Quote from: Warspite on September 21, 2011, 07:22:19 PM
:mad:  Not ridiculous.

Definitely Not ridiculous.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadBurgerMaker

No.  My bank (USAA) has sent stuff out asking for support on certain issues though.