Started by jimmy olsen, September 19, 2011, 11:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2011, 08:28:14 AM
Quote from: Neil on September 21, 2011, 08:16:59 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 21, 2011, 08:09:05 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 21, 2011, 06:45:28 PM
Really?  I doubt that.
The Canadians would immediatly invade Quebec to free their brothers, depose Marois, install a puppet pro-Canadian government in place ;)
Maybe they should do that anyways.  The Anglo race needs Lebensraum in the East.

Anglo race? :yeahright:

No ukes allowed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: Neil on September 22, 2011, 08:15:45 AM
So you would say that your inspiration when it comes to the independence of Quebec is the Confederate States?  Good to know that you're a racist, you racist.
I would say, seriously, that if the Canadians invade use after a peaceful and democratic declaration of independance, I would take up arms, yes.
But since I'll probably be somewhere over 100 by that time, I don't think it's gonna happen.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maximus

The scenario that Neil is talking about is not what I would call a peaceful and democratic declaration of independence.

Zoupa

I don't see what, in this day an age, would get Canadians up in arms.

I remember when they introduced the GST. From one day to the next, boom, your groceries and everything else went up 7%. Not one single person was in the street.

That upset the frog in me.  <_<

Neil

You don't pay GST on basic groceries.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Zoupa

Quote from: Neil on September 22, 2011, 01:25:28 PM

:glare: True, but you know what I mean.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on September 22, 2011, 01:21:13 PM

I remember when they introduced the GST. From one day to the next, boom, your groceries and everything else went up 7%. Not one single person was in the street.

I seem to remember some massive street protests over the GST. :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

It was a bigger deal in Alberta, where there had been no sales tax up to that point.

crazy canuck

The frog in you was either too young or not attentitive enough to notice the large protests over the issue at the time.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on September 22, 2011, 02:00:54 PM
It was a bigger deal in Alberta, where there had been no sales tax up to that point.

We had large protests here in Vancouver. 

Neil

Quote from: Zoupa on September 22, 2011, 01:27:40 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 22, 2011, 01:25:28 PM
:glare: True, but you know what I mean.
I was furious over the increase to book prices and would have rioted, but I was just 11 when it came in.  Instead, I supported the Liberals.  In retrospect, that was a mistake as the GST wasn't really that bad.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 22, 2011, 02:04:53 PM
The frog in you was either too young or not attentitive enough to notice the large protests over the issue at the time.
It single-handedly ended the Mulroney government and the Progressive Conservative party.  Sure, some people were also annoyed by Free Trade, but it was the GST that ended the PCs as a party.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on September 22, 2011, 02:31:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 22, 2011, 02:04:53 PM
It single-handedly ended the Mulroney government and the Progressive Conservative party.  Sure, some people were also annoyed by Free Trade, but it was the GST that ended the PCs as a party.

Chretian ran on ripping it up, the Reformers left in droves citing that as the last straw.  The PCs were destroyed in the next election.  I think you are correct.

Free trade ended as an issue when the PCs won the election fought on that issue.

viper37

Quote from: Maximus on September 22, 2011, 10:14:52 AM
The scenario that Neil is talking about is not what I would call a peaceful and democratic declaration of independence.
...therefore impossible in my lifetime.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Prices didn't go up 7%.
There was an hidden manufacturing tax of 11% on many products before.  This tax was removed and replaced with the GST on everything.
Globally, the prices were up, but not as much as 7%.  Gaz, alcohol and tobacco productes were the most affected. Tax increase on all of these + GST + PST.