News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Parti Québécois Balkanizes

Started by jimmy olsen, September 19, 2011, 11:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Neil on September 20, 2011, 01:16:48 PM
There will always be the tribal voters, and a big source of votes for the Liberals is the fact that there aren't any other real federalist choices, you know?  Where's the alternative for Anglos in Montreal, or federalist Francos?
The ADQ would be the logical choice.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on September 20, 2011, 01:45:33 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 20, 2011, 01:16:48 PM
There will always be the tribal voters, and a big source of votes for the Liberals is the fact that there aren't any other real federalist choices, you know?  Where's the alternative for Anglos in Montreal, or federalist Francos?
The ADQ would be the logical choice.
Isn't there an impression that the ADQ is fading away right now? 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2011, 11:41:30 AM
Quote from: Berkut on September 20, 2011, 11:40:24 AM
Yeah, but if I am living in a town where there appears to be an inordinate amount of murders, I would not really concern myself with what other people are saying about it nearly as much as I would be concerned about being murdered.

Pretty sure you can be concerned with more than one thing at once.  Where are you getting that Quebec is more concerned with people talking about the corruption than the corrupton itself?

Point here is that in this very thread when a recent leaked report demonstrating the existence of a corruption problem was brought up, the consensus from the Quebec contingent was not that corruption was a problem, but that the "Toronto media" discussing corruption was.  :lol:

I mean, do you really need me to go through the posts and show this?

I'm not pissed off at Quebec for having a corruption problem - corruption can happen anywhere and has nothing to do with soverignty/federalism, language issues, or anything else we usually talk about.

I just brought it it as yet another demonstration that our Quebec posters have a tendancy to be extremely touchy and sensitive, to take offence at having "outsiders" discuss such issues, and to deny that any such discussion could possibly be motivated by actual facts as opposed to some sort of consipiracy to defame their province - the evidence here being the giant foofarah brought up in the past when someone in a magazine published in "English Canada" (perhaps even the dreaded "Toronto media")  had the terrible audacity to publish an article on the prevelance of Quebec corruption - which later events (this leaked report) tend to demonstrate was justified.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Neil on September 20, 2011, 01:25:18 PM
I understand that there were some Anglos flirting with ADQ, but that party is pretty much adrift these days. 
It's more like the ADQ was flirting with some anglos.

QuoteIf Legault's a soft enough touch on the sovereigntism, he might be able to attract some of the Franco federalist vote, but I would think that it would be too risky for Anglos to vote for him.
Anglos will vote Liberals for the time being.  Any hint of nationalism, economic or otherwise is seen as bad for them.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 20, 2011, 01:35:12 PM
Interesting times for politicians in Quebec.  If I was a Quebec politician I would be sorely tempted to sit this round out and wait to see what comes out of this apparent chaos.
but by then, it'd be too late for a power grab.  Legault sees his chance of becoming PM, and he's afraid of losing it if he doesn't grab the opportunity right now.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 20, 2011, 02:07:41 PM
(perhaps even the dreaded "Toronto media")  had the terrible audacity to publish an article on the prevelance of Quebec corruption - which later events (this leaked report) tend to demonstrate was justified.  
Again, you're distorting the facts.  Stop being a lawyer for 5 minutes.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on September 20, 2011, 01:51:36 PM
Isn't there an impression that the ADQ is fading away right now? 
an impression?  No.  A reality, I would say.
Latest polls shows the ADQ support at 9% and 18% with Legault and without Legault's new party.  With the current political map, that means at most 5-7 MPs (out of 125, maybe 127 soon), if we're lucky.

But I meant in the previous elections.  The ADQ then could have been a logical choice for the Anglos and the Federalists, those that aren't left-wingers, actually.

Oexmelin

Quote from: viper37 on September 20, 2011, 01:26:56 PM
I had Degroseillers in mind, wasn't he branded a traitor before even turning over to the British?

Not to my knowledge. He thread poorly in the factional politics of the colony (which meant chosing carefully which side to cater to), so accusations of smuggling, or being too friendly to the British, could easily have been levelled against him.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on September 20, 2011, 02:08:43 PM
Anglos will vote Liberals for the time being.  Any hint of nationalism, economic or otherwise is seen as bad for them.
You really can't blame them for that though, can you?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

AnchorClanker

QuoteIn 2009 Pauline Marois raised much controversy, even amongst her own party when Marois suggested the immigrants and anglophones be denied health care if they cannot speak French.

Wow.  She sounds groovy.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

crazy canuck

Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 20, 2011, 04:25:58 PM
QuoteIn 2009 Pauline Marois raised much controversy, even amongst her own party when Marois suggested the immigrants and anglophones be denied health care if they cannot speak French.

Wow.  She sounds groovy.

Appeals to the Grallonite wing of the party.

Ed Anger

Wow.  She sounds groovy.

I know. I'm in love. :wub:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Oexmelin

Wow.  She sounds groovy.

From Wikipedia? Source of the quote is strangely unreferenced. Haven't found the source of the quote either.
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 20, 2011, 05:11:45 PM

Wow.  She sounds groovy.

From Wikipedia? Source of the quote is strangely unreferenced. Haven't found the source of the quote either.

I havent heard it before.  I am pretty sure such an outrageous statement would be reported even out here.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on September 20, 2011, 12:01:07 PM
Grey Fox and Zoupa. They are so upset they are asking that the press stop talking about Quebec at all.
I think the problem they have is that they see the Anglo media as reporting only (both positive and negative stories) to reinforce a pre-existing image, or story, or vision of Quebec.  Much the same way as parts of the European press reports the US, or vice-versa.  The difference is that in Canada it's internal.

But I could be wrong.
Let's bomb Russia!